E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > quick question about buying a used 335i

01-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
bmwish
Rep
Drives: g35

quick question about buying a used 335i

ive been on this forum for a while now and am very close to buying an 07 335i coupe or sedan, but now im having second thoughts since ive been reading that they have many problems especially ones with +40k miles on them, which are the ones im looking at, the person buying my car even said his two buddies have 335i's and have many problem with them thats why he wouldn't get one. so what should i be looking for when buying one from a private seller or dealership? i really want one but im not sure any more so what do you think i should do? (is it worth getting without a warranty)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
CaptainKibbles
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport 328i

Garage List
Get one that is CPO and you will be fine!
      01-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

+1 on the CPO
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

CPO definitely. Safe, and mind-easing.

Mine is as well, best choice I ever made regarding purchasing a BMW.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

CPO is bullshit bro. I've heard so many stories of people buying their cars CPO and later on finding out they were in accidents etc..

My car is probably gonna be a CPO.. Feel sorry for the poor fuck that's gonna drive it after me

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
CaptainKibbles
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How is it bullshit? you have warranty till 100k miles on everything...
      01-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcab1212 View Post
That's if you get the extended warranty. It's bullshit because they tell you they have done a thorough inspection when in reality they're just covering up shit to sell the car. It is the dealer's car at the end and the dealer is not gonna wanna spend much money on it.

I say you're better off finding a private seller thats in his 40s and has garage kept his car. You can't really be safe with that either but at least it's not a lease return of some 20 year old kid that has fucked with that car.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
CPO is bullshit bro. I've heard so many stories of people buying their cars CPO and later on finding out they were in accidents etc..

My car is probably gonna be a CPO.. Feel sorry for the poor fuck that's gonna drive it after me
^^Disagreed. CPO is the way to go for most people, especially if endless finances are not at your disposal, as I am sure is the case for more than a few people on this board.

Once your car becomes a CPO, its going to get tested and inspected just like everything else, and a detailed maintenance report is going to the "poor fuck" who purchases it BMW is not going to just give out any garbage to potential customers if they want to keep those customers. And that 100K warranty is unbeatable, no matter what one may say, should you choose that option.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
CaptainKibbles
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agreed with Bavarian III. I have a CPO 328i and best decision I ever made just having that feeling I'm covered on everything till 100k
      01-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Agreed with Bavarian III. I have a CPO 328i and best decision I ever made just having that feeling I'm covered on everything till 100k

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

It's a hit or miss decision. You will either get a good one or you will get a lemon. You really never know. I'm pretty sure there are way more good ones then bad one though. Good luck on your search.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
^^Disagreed. CPO is the way to go for most people, especially if endless finances are not at your disposal, as I am sure is the case for more than a few people on this board.

Once your car becomes a CPO, its going to get tested and inspected just like everything else, and a detailed maintenance report is going to the "poor fuck" who purchases it BMW is not going to just give out any garbage to potential customers if they want to keep those customers. And that 100K warranty is unbeatable, no matter what one may say, should you choose that option.
You're trusting a corporation way too much. If they do such a detailed inspection then how come people find tools and shit in their engine bays? How does a person buying a CPO car know if the owner before him didn't put a juicebox in the engine and redline it 10 times a day

At the end of the day they're trying to make money.

You could get extended warranty from a 3rd party and get your auto loan from a bank and still come out cheaper than a CPO.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
You're trusting a corporation way too much. If they do such a detailed inspection then how come people find tools and shit in their engine bays? How does a person buying a CPO car know if the owner before him didn't put a juicebox in the engine and redline it 10 times a day

At the end of the day they're trying to make money.

You could get extended warranty from a 3rd party and get your auto loan from a bank and still come out cheaper than a CPO.
It's not not really a matter of trust, just coming to an agreement. The majority of the time, these are good cars. Not saying no one is susceptible to malfunction or that cars get mistreated, but at the end of the day, they run well and are covered, which is what really matters, isn't it? Despite prior treatment (which likely does not include the car getting run into the ground on a daily basis, as the car obviously isn't sold exactly as its brought to the dealer), the wheels don't fall off the thing after driving it off the lot.

And what corporations today aren't trying to make money?

And those 3rd party extended warranties x financial institution loans come few and far in between, to legitimately compete with a CPO deal. And if the cars are such crap like you say, then its probably better to go out of your way searching for a deal you aren't ever going to find.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
dave herzog
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
I feel like there is a general notion that the CPO warranty covers 100 percent of "everything". Unless you purchase the Extended 100% Maintenance Warranty (2-3k extra, I've read, but have no idea, to be honest), that really isn't the case. First, you pay a $50 deductable each claim. Not so bad so far. But you aren't covered for any of these:

Maintenance; engine, transmission, and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires. Paint; glass; headlamps; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings, and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion, or contamination, except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Or the radio or accessories. Or wear and tear.

^ These things can and do go wrong. A lot, in some cases.

To OP: I just got one, and wouldn't do it again, knowing what I know now. And yes, mine is CPO. I found a fork in the seat that the previous owner used to eat dinner in the car, presumably. Still had some dried food on the tongs. Although to be fair, "scour the car for used utensils" is probably not on the CPO checklist.

Move on. I know they look good, and can be alluring, but it's a disappointment waiting to happen. Wait, or consider a 328, at least.

Fairly warned be thee, says I.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #15
A4rings
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Space 335i

WOOOOOW i just bought a CPO and what a pile of crap. That sucks soo bad, i just looked at whats covered and whats not, and ALOT of stuff is not covered
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

I cant believe all you CPO guys are saying that its not worth it...You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the input. I bought mine with 2 years left on the warranty and 30k miles to go. Maybe I am lucky?

If not CPO, I do suggest upping your budget and looking at cars that are 30k miles and under. And for the most part you'll still have 1 year+ on the years that the warranty is in tact.
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

CPO can be a good deal, can be a bad deal. Whenever you are buying a used car, you have to be super careful, no matter what kind of car it is. Anything could have happened to that car in the past. Try every angle you can to make sure you are comfortable with the car.
      01-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I considered the CPO very much and in the end it seemed like a good idea but decided I was going to look for the best car with the lowest miles in a color combo I wanted.

I found that 328's in stock form were kinder driven cars than fanboy 335's with new sport shifters knobs and amber deletes. ANyone who gets whigged out over an amber reflecter might be too much into the car.

I decided that 328's in stock form in some colors were excellent values and I got a mint condition coupe with space gray and saddle interior with MT. The price was great because this color combo in MT does not appeal to a wide audiance. THe carfax showed it unsold for 5 months. I had the car inspected, body inspected and it all came out great. Got maintence records and the car checked out.

It still has 15mos left of warranty but Im not going to get any extended. I saved a lot of money and I feel the list of items not covering are too great.

I think few will regreat having it but that "piece of mind" kind of tells me the 335 and the fact they just changed the engine should be avoided. To me the price of the extra horsepower to "upgrade" to a 335 and a warranty cost was not worth it to me.

Real piece of mind is a solid car with a solid history. Drive a 328i equiped the way you want it. Its the same car as the 335. Its plenty fast/quick, just not as the 335. Want sport, get sport. When I take people for rides

If your willing to pay for the CPO, don't mind the extra cost and must have the speed, then get the 335. There are some of us that can afford either but think the 328i is the better package. "Piece of mind" comes in different ways! To each his/her own.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I'm starting to realize buying a new car has a lot of advantages. I bought mine new when I never thought I'd buy a new car. I bought mine new because I couldn't find a used one stripped with a manual. Now, I'm glad I bought new.

These cars can be abused more than your standard Civic or Focus. Like anything else, there will be good and bad used/CPO. I'd rather be safe and spend the money for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Its a toss up, like they said, you could get a great one or get one thats at the dealer every week. I personally would never own a BMW past the original warranty, just me.
      01-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #21
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave herzog View Post
I feel like there is a general notion that the CPO warranty covers 100 percent of "everything". Unless you purchase the Extended 100% Maintenance Warranty (2-3k extra, I've read, but have no idea, to be honest), that really isn't the case. First, you pay a $50 deductable each claim. Not so bad so far. But you aren't covered for any of these:

Maintenance; engine, transmission, and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires. Paint; glass; headlamps; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings, and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion, or contamination, except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Or the radio or accessories. Or wear and tear.

^ These things can and do go wrong. A lot, in some cases.

To OP: I just got one, and wouldn't do it again, knowing what I know now. And yes, mine is CPO. I found a fork in the seat that the previous owner used to eat dinner in the car, presumably. Still had some dried food on the tongs. Although to be fair, "scour the car for used utensils" is probably not on the CPO checklist.

Move on. I know they look good, and can be alluring, but it's a disappointment waiting to happen. Wait, or consider a 328, at least.

Fairly warned be thee, says I.
Hmm. My pads and rotors were covered. Maybe BMW just chooses who they like to extend coverage toward. That makes everything come together a bit more sensibly

Cosmetics are different, and you are informed that they are mostly not covered. And they make up half of that paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I'm starting to realize buying a new car has a lot of advantages. I bought mine new when I never thought I'd buy a new car. I bought mine new because I couldn't find a used one stripped with a manual. Now, I'm glad I bought new.

These cars can be abused more than your standard Civic or Focus. Like anything else, there will be good and bad used/CPO. I'd rather be safe and spend the money for a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
CPO can be a good deal, can be a bad deal. Whenever you are buying a used car, you have to be super careful, no matter what kind of car it is. Anything could have happened to that car in the past. Try every angle you can to make sure you are comfortable with the car.

Serioulsy though, running this into the ground aren't we? If you have the money, get a new one. If not, do your research and get the CPO you want.

The CPO bashing just doesn't make much sense, especially when most of the people who post to badmouth it speak from their own experience, and no one else's.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
bmwish
Rep
Drives: g35

thanks for the help so far guys, i have found a couple with low 20k miles on them, so for alittle more money is it better to just go with thoes than risk it with a high mile car (+40k) ? also if it dosent have a warranty or a cpo from a private seller should i just pass on it, will theses get expensive to mainitain, my dad knows alot of guy that own shops so would i be ok with that or it gets way to pricey without the warranty to cover shit?

Last edited by bmwish; 01-28-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0