BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Moo
Gold Member
Moo's Avatar
No_Country
50
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: PSYWGN
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Studio 69

iTrader: (0)

Red face Cancel 2011 135i order and wait for M1?

As some of you may know, I've very recently placed an order for a 2011 135i DCT w/M Sport (non-Euro Delivery).

With the news of the M1 launching in less than a year (for United States), I've been in a real bind on whether to cancel the 2011 135i, and getting a 2012 M1 instead. Or, just gung-ho with the wallet and get a M3 now. I own (and plan to trade-in) a Z4, so I'm not limited by a lease.

So I can:

1. stay with the 2011 (knowing that N55 is probably not as mod-friendly as N54)
2. cancel 2011, wait for 2012 M1
3. pile on another ~$17K now and ED a 2011 M3 (not sure when the M3 refresh is due...)

Thoughts? Recommendations?


Last edited by Moo; 05-12-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
M3PGH
Major
United_States
320
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA

iTrader: (1)

if you can afford it M3 all the way but other than that i would just go with the 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
BMWDAD
Captain
BMWDAD's Avatar
67
Rep
758
Posts

Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Richmond, Va.

iTrader: (0)

My 2008 335i/sports/6mt will be out of warranty Dec 2011.

So the M1, M3, and a Cayman make my short list today.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
sparoz's Avatar
Australia
146
Rep
4,849
Posts

Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

iTrader: (0)

Pick up a used M3/Cayman and change it over when the M1 comes out?
__________________
Macan S Diesel - Carrera White
Macan Turbo - White
1///M - Valencia Orange
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
r53s65e90
8300
r53s65e90's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Cancel and wait for the M1. I am sure you will manage to put up with your z4 for another year. Go for the M3 if you need 4 doors. Otherwise wait to drive the M1.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
KSAF
Speed Demon
KSAF's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
14
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Well, The M1 will not be faster than the M3 for sure, either in a straight line or on the track, unless you will spend some cash on tuning it. If you like the M3 and can afford it, I suggest you go for it. The M3 will be the last high revving N/A ///M engine. One thing is for sure, cancel your order and buy the M3 now, or drive your Z4 for now and wait for the new M1.
__________________
Anyone can drive a fast car, but few can drive a car fast!

Last edited by KSAF; 05-12-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
ChrisK
Major General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
3659
Rep
7,215
Posts

Drives: '19 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland (West)

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Given what we have learned about the M1's engine and suspension, I can't see how the M1 wouldn't be faster around the track. 0-60...Scott said the M1 wouldn't step on the M3's toes, but that could mean the M1 is only .1 seconds slower.

__________________
www.ReTuneTheDeTune.com
2019 M2 Competition (Sunset Orange)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
300
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

If I get the M1 it will be much faster than the M3 (for a professional driver, not for me). With new Brembo brakes, KW V3 CS suspension, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, KN intake/filter, Noelle Motors ECU (~450 HP) the M3 has no chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
507
Rep
3,201
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If I get the M1 it will be much faster than the M3 (for a professional driver, not for me). With new Brembo brakes, KW V3 CS suspension, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, KN intake/filter, Noelle Motors ECU (~450 HP) the M3 has no chance.
Wow, that's a lot of pretend tuning for a car that doesn't even exist yet.
__________________
____________________________
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
300
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Wow, that's a lot of pretend tuning for a car that doesn't even exist yet.
I know. But I am sure all this will be available. Akrapovic has titanium system for M6, M3 and 335i. They will surely make an exhaust for the M1. Brembo are availble for "all" cars, 1xxi, 3xxi, X5, X6, M3, M5, M6, X5 M, X6 M, so of course also for the M1. KN filters/intake is available for M3 E46 and 135i/355i. Could also be one for M1. Noelle Motors has upgrades to 400 Hp for 135i/335i and to 620 Hp for 750i/X6 xDrive50i, and up to 670 Hp for X5/X6 M. So there will surely be something for M1. KW V3 CS is available for M3 and 135i, so should also be for M1.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
mineo77's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
1,926
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland,OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [3.78]
Send a message via AIM to mineo77
go for a Cayman S
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
amdmaxx's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
1,419
Posts

Drives: Future Mowner of Monster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
4430
Rep
9,956
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
If I were you, I would just wait. The 135 is a well known commodity at this point--whereas no one has seen, driven, or experienced the M1 to this point.

I would guess that if your Z4 is in good shape, you aren't going to lose much by cancelling your order--you would always be able to order another one in a few months if you decided the M1 or M3 weren't for you....
__________________
Past rides: 2015 981 CS, 2014 F22 235, 2011 E82 135, 2008 E82 135, 2007 E92 328, 2007 E92 328 (My lady drives an OG M2. So does my dad)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
MUFCbmwbear
1. Man Utd 2. BMW 3. Beer
MUFCbmwbear's Avatar
United_States
190
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 17 340i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Hold out for M1. When it comes out and isn't what you wanted you will have an extra year of money savings to put towards that M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Haywood's Avatar
United_States
1957
Rep
2,771
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
I would cancel. You're going to be really pissed once the M1 comes out and seeing all the buzz about the car. You can't go wrong with getting a M3 or a 135i now, but why not see if the M1 lives up to the hype. That way you really have some good choices! I've had my heart set on a CPO M3 coupe when my lease is up, but I'd be crazy to do that without comparing the M1.
__________________
2003 Le Mans Blue e39 M5 Dinan S1
1997 Alpine White e36 M3 (the old gal)
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
Robert
Major General
278
Rep
6,950
Posts

Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

2nd on cancelling
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
372
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

If your zed is solid whats the rush in buying a new car? Wait and then get what you really want
__________________

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
Moo
Gold Member
Moo's Avatar
No_Country
50
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: PSYWGN
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Studio 69

iTrader: (0)

I just cancelled the 135i order

Then, spoke to the client advisor and became the first person on the M1 waiting list at that dealership

I figured if I change my mind in the next few days/months, I can always order a M3 or reorder a 135i.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 09 135i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

I approve! Hope you're patient, I have a feeling it will be worth it!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Spartikus's Avatar
35
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: Twin-Turbos
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TheDarkSide

iTrader: (0)

Dont forget the M1 is YEAR away. Scott said summer of 2011.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
penny
Captain
penny's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
832
Posts

Drives: '08 135i (sold)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Las Colinas

iTrader: (2)

I think the M1 will be all over the road... 335i, previous 135i, and some M3 owners.
__________________
'08 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
jayson
Life's too short for chess
jayson's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: F80 Mineral White M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Wait to see what the official announcement is for the M1 then decide what you want to order. Always good to not have to be in a rush!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST