BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #23
clmsn81
Junior Associate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Cpe AW/CR

I had been having long cranks sporadically for a months...but no SES light or codes...then last week got an SES light. Dealer updated my software last Wednesday. Then drove home Saturday...went to pass another car (putting car into boost) and immediately the engine malfunction light came on and car went into limp mode. Major safety issue considering I was just passing someone in traffic.

Skip ahead to today ---Picked up my car from dealer with a new HPFP along with new tail light seals. We'll see if that does it.
      07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #24
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
That's a good question.

I had two long cranks in April. I immediately took car into the dealer after the second one. They confirmed that my car had thrown the 2FBF code indicating a HPFP problem. They gave me the new software and said if it started giving me trouble again to take it back in. That was ~ 1.5 months and 1,000 miles ago. No trouble so far, but will it stay that way?

Obviously, some people *do* have problems despite the reprogramming. Hopefully mikeo is right and that BMW is finally about to put this issue to bed with a full recall.

Despite this hiccup, though, I'm still loving the 1.... (Though I reserve the right to edit this out of my post if it turns out I'm one of those 'lucky' guys who has to have his HPFP replaced 4 times in a row.... )
Is yours still starting without long cranks or other HPFP problems? I had the software update done 2 weeks ago and no more super long cranks, but occasionally a couple of seconds once in while. Before when could it was 4-5 seconds very frequently. I am wondering how permanent the software fix will be?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #25
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Is yours still starting without long cranks or other HPFP problems? I had the software update done 2 weeks ago and no more super long cranks, but occasionally a couple of seconds once in while. Before when could it was 4-5 seconds very frequently. I am wondering how permanent the software fix will be?
Honestly, it was just that one time since the software. And when I say 'long crank', maybe it took 2 seconds instead of the usual 1 or less than 1 second. I participated in a rally two weeks ago, and since I left a stopwatch in the car, I started timing them. Usually, the car cranks with less than 1 second. I was probably being ultra sensitive about it....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #26
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

BMW addressed my long cranks (this time with code 2FBF) with new software for the second time (last time was in November). Crank times were virtually zero until this morning when it was 2 seconds. I am getting sick of this! Maybe next time I'll get a new, I mean rebuilt HPFP. Can't wait for the Cadillac CTS-V coupe.

Last edited by Qunadry; 07-19-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #27
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
at one point my car wouldn't start.....
then it cranked for 10 seconds and started.
After the Software update I haven't had issues with my fuel pump for about 5k miles!
I have a Jb3 so i didn't notice any lagginess or sluggishness in the car :P

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #28
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

so far, the software update has fixed my long crank issues. it definitely primes the pump a little longer when unlocked from the key fob. im pretty sure it originally primed the pump when the drivers door was opened.

been almost a month now. the car only has 8000 miles though.....time will tell.....

only filled with Sunoco 93 gas, and rarely driven with less than a quarter tank.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #29
Monster335is
Waking up from hybernation
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelitto View Post
As in the topic, did anybody have the hpfp fixed only by updating the software and without replacing the pump itself?
This is what the dealer has done so far to me and won't go further until the car throws some fault codes. So for them everything is fine now.
I recently had my car serviced and they did the same thing. Started with long cranks and then the car completely shut off at one point. They recognized the problem but refused to change the pump. Apparently procedure is to install the new tune and then if problems continue then they replace the pump. Does your feel weaker with the new tune? I honestly think they just detuned the car. Mine completely bogs under hard accelaration...
      07-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Just spent about 10 minutes on the phone with my dealer shooting the shit. Basically, his feeling is that it's more of a software issue than a mechanical issue and he immediately elaborated. I guess the 745s had some kind of a pump issue as well and the problem ended up being something like the air/fuel ratio being off which could be fixed with updated software. He also noted that for some reason yesterday was one of the biggest days he's seen for N54 HPFP failures (more than 20 cars). He hasn't seen a pattern (weather, etc.) but he found it very odd. No real point to my post but some interesting food for thought. He did say that most cars tend to be a one-and-done with the fix but there are always those cars with a half dozen failures.

Also, he said that if I have another failure to call customer service and request that they cover one months lease payment. He said they've been VERY liberal with the payments as they are quite worried about people leaving for other brands.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
VeritasTruthEmet
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelitto View Post
As in the topic, did anybody have the hpfp fixed only by updating the software and without replacing the pump itself?
This is what the dealer has done so far to me and won't go further until the car throws some fault codes. So for them everything is fine now.
Yes, this has happened to me. Even though I had insisted that Toronto BMW replace the defective HPFP after their own test revealed that it was the problem; Desmond refused to do so saying "the firmware update will solve the problem". When I protested the decision and warned that I would take legal action against them if the car failed on the highway they took no notice.

Of course, the car failed on the highway today in a rather catastrophic way. The engine completely lost power on the DVP during rush hour traffic. I will be filing suit.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #32
VeritasTruthEmet
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster135 View Post
I recently had my car serviced and they did the same thing. Started with long cranks and then the car completely shut off at one point. They recognized the problem but refused to change the pump. Apparently procedure is to install the new tune and then if problems continue then they replace the pump. Does your feel weaker with the new tune? I honestly think they just detuned the car. Mine completely bogs under hard accelaration...
That's exactly what I first noticed: The firmware update seems to initially reduce the 300hp to 150. It also caused the car to have bizarre spikes in revs while idle after a cold start. The car has since had its engine fail at highway speeds. Be extremely careful with this 'firmware upgrade' as it poorly masks a very dangerous and known defect.

In my opinion, the use of the firmware upgrade is equivalent to fraudulent misrepresentation and causes reckless endangerment. I strongly encourage everyone who has been given this dangerous band-aid to prosecute their dealership. If your HPFP has failed on the highway or has caused an accident, please PM me. Because of how widespread this problem is, I am entertaining the option of trying for a class-action suit against BMW AG.

If you are comfortable having your life endangered by BMW then play along with your dealership. If the prospect of killing others or being killed yourself in a highway accident due to a known defect is something that you find objectionable, litigate.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #33
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasTruthEmet View Post
In my opinion, the use of the firmware upgrade is equivalent to fraudulent misrepresentation and causes reckless endangerment.
Can you elaborate on how this firmware upgrade "is equivalent to fraudulent misrepresentation" (which is redundant, BTW)? Do you not believe that a firmware upgrade exists? Or do you not believe that your dealership actually flashed it to your car? Or you think its simply the same code flashed to the car again?

My car received the firmware upgrade one month ago after increasingly long cranks. I have had no issues since. This may not be the last time I have a HPFP issue, but based on the anecdotal evidence I have seen this firmware upgrade can at least temporarily fix some people's issue.

Where does the lawsuit fit in again?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #34
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster135 View Post
... Apparently procedure is to install the new tune and then if problems continue then they replace the pump. Does your feel weaker with the new tune? I honestly think they just detuned the car. Mine completely bogs under hard accelaration...
Your are correct. I had the software upgrade done and while it showed some improvement, it was still 1-2 seconds. I took it back and told them I was still dissatisfied with the cranking time and they replaced the HPFP with no hassle. Now it almost starts before I push the start button. So much for there not having been a HPFP problem. Car also feels like they added 25 HP, can't believe the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #35
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

I had an embarrassing long-crank this morning, after stopping to get breakfast on the way to work. Car cranked for like 4-5 seconds, then just gave up. Had to try a second time to get it started.

Of course, this was my wife's Pontiac G6 GT, not the BMW. (Nothing of note to report on the BMW with the software update.) But still. Makes me wonder if long cranks are a communicable virus.

Does a Pontiac G6 even have an HPFP??!?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #36
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
the software update worked for me for about 2 months. now my hpfp is definitely dying. when i first start the car if it's been several hours since it's been run, the idle is horrible and sounds like the car's about to die. i've got an appt. tomorrow to get it replaced. i have a few codes related to the hpfp, had a limp mode a week or so ago too
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #37
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I've asked this a few times with no real response but what happens if your car qualifies as a lemon but you leased the vehicle?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #38
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I've asked this a few times with no real response but what happens if your car qualifies as a lemon but you leased the vehicle?
is your car a lemon!!!??
      09-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #39
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce;
the software update worked for me for about 2 months. now my hpfp is definitely dying. when i first start the car if it's been several hours since it's been run, the idle is horrible and sounds like the car's about to die. i've got an appt. tomorrow to get it replaced. i have a few codes related to the hpfp, had a limp mode a week or so ago too
So i just got back home from my long trip 1350 kms in one day and had two limp modes today. 2 months and some 4000 kms after the software update that "fixed" my long cranks it happenned: first when i was accelerating hard and changed from 5th to 6th on the highway when the rpm hit about 5,5-6k.
I pulled over, restarted car and it was back to normal. Second one happened when i was going top speed in sixth gear at about 5,5-6k rpm and 260 kph (german highway). Frustrated is the least to say, dangerous? Not that much but scary.
I will have to book it at the dealer but im worried because i just remapped the ecu a few days ago, could the remap expose the faulty pump or they are not related and same would happen even if i didnt remap to ecu? (uk eqiuvalent of dinan)
      09-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #40
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Carbon Black 650i M Sport

Wow. Now that I have watched that movie I'll probably have long crank nightmares.

I used to have Porsche RMS and IMS nightmares. All my nightmares seem to involve acronyms and major system design flaws that cannot be fixed over the course of many years in German automobiles.

For what it's worth I love BMW and Porsche. It costs 10000 per 10000 miles to service a Ferrari. Maserati is almost as bad if you can get it worked on. Lamborghinis don't really drive that well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #41
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

About 3 months after the software update fixed my hpfp issue my car is at the BMW garage now waiting for the new fuel pump to be replaced early next week. As I expected few months back this would be unavoidable because the software cannot fix something that is physically faulty, would you agree? I only thought it will happen sooner. (I did about 6000 kms with the new soft until I started getting limp modes and rough starts.
      09-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #42
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

4 months, 4,000 miles since software update. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #43
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

5 months since the software update. Yesterday, when I started the car to drive home from work, the engine seemed to be running a little rough. When I merged on to the parkway, I noticed a surprising lack of power, had to really get into the throttle just to get it up to regular highway speeds. (Luckily, it was rush-hour traffic, so averaging 40 MPH, so it wasn't too ridiculous.) After getting home, I turned the engine off, then restarted it, it seemed to run okay. I took it to the dealership today, noticed the same problem while I was driving it over.

Funny thing -- no check engine light, no long cranks. The engine was running a little rough, but not horribly so. It was like it just decided it wanted to go into limp mode for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #44
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

My car began having long cranks back in April(8,000 miles), and threw 2 HPFP codes. Then, the software was changed in August. Since then ( 2,000 miles later), not one long crank, nor one code has been thrown. It seems to be doing something to help the problem.