BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
194
Rep
3,244
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

1M DCT transmission was abandoned because of a "hiccup"...

This is what they say in the Bimmerfile podcast. Interesting...they say they know what the hiccup was but they can't say in the podcast...I would love to find out the true reason...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Vertigo//SD's Avatar
24
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Maybe it's me, but that podcast is difficult to listen to.
1) The difference in audio between the two is drastic and jarring.
2) The other guy (not Gabe) always sounds sour/pissed off.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
194
Rep
3,244
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

I find the podcasts stupid anyway...they should just write they things they want to say...I only listen to a podcast when I really need to...the 1M news needed this effort from me
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
PrimoM3
Chemofski
PrimoM3's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,296
Posts

Drives: '13 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Coast, U.S.

iTrader: (0)

I love the BimmerFile guys, personally. They're enthusiasts like most of us, so their audio may not always be perfect, and their opinions may seem counter-culture at times, but that's what I love about the blog. It's not like every other corporate-owned magazine or blog that feeds us the latest bullcrap fed down from their paid sponsors.

I believe that "hiccup" was that the 1///M bested the ///M3 around the ring when coupled to a DCT transmission.
__________________
'13 Individual Frozen Brilliant White ///M3 Coupe
Ordered 2/15/12 | Euro Delivery on 9/21/12 | U.S. Redelivery on 12/6/12 | Motor Dead on 7/15/13

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkR171's Avatar
53
Rep
1,531
Posts

Drives: SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
I believe that "hiccup" was that the 1///M bested the ///M3 around the ring when coupled to a DCT transmission.
I wouldn't doubt it for a second. The 135 is already nearly as quick in a straight line. The 1M would have all the suspension and handling technology that the M3 has while being even lighter than the 135. It would only make perfect logical sense that the 1M would be quicker around a track.

I doubt that's the reason though. I think the 6MT 1M will still be quicker than the 6MT M3.
__________________
2007 SLK55 AMG - Black on Gray/Black - AMG 030 Performance Package

2011 135i - Traded
///M-Sport - Dual Clutch - Harman Kardon - Bluetooth - iPod - Shadowline Kidney Grill - 225/255 Star Specs - Hotchkis Front Sway
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
372
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

It's amazing how BMW is going to nerf this car because it's more akin to the M3 ideaology than the current M3 is
__________________

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3393
Rep
8,361
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
It's amazing how BMW is going to nerf this car because it's more akin to the M3 ideaology than the current M3 is
Z3 M Coupes with the S54 came with a ridiculous 3.15 rear end to keep them from being faster than the M3. The Z4 M Coupe came out at the right time between the E46 and E92 M3's where it wasn't handicapped. Looks like the 1M Coupe Thingy won't be so lucky.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
IS3andME
Major
441
Rep
1,157
Posts

Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post

I believe that "hiccup" was that the 1///M bested the ///M3 around the ring when coupled to a DCT transmission.
Scott had said that the 1M was going to be slower in a straight line than the M3, but would handle better on the track. Maybe they decided that it being quicker on the track would hurt thd M3's image. But, it's BMWs fault that the M3 is fat, I mean it's supposed to be a 911 competitor and the 91/ Carrera is Way lighter than the M3
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
507
Rep
3,201
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I mean it's supposed to be a 911 competitor and the 911 Carrera is Way lighter than the M3
Sorry, I don't see the M3 and the 911 as being in the same segment whatsoever.

The M3 is more of a sports sedan (in fact the ultimate iteration of the form - even in two door version it at least has a useable back seat) while the 911 is a true unaldulterated sports car. Price points are much different, as well.

I'm not saying the M3 doesn't perform. But I just don't think BMW really offers anything comparable to the 911.
__________________
____________________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
Orlin
Major
Orlin's Avatar
Australia
38
Rep
1,359
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to Orlin
I cant believe they are not going to release a dct version
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
ChrisK
Major General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
3659
Rep
7,215
Posts

Drives: '19 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland (West)

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
No DCT because of the price. Add another $2900 (M3 DCT Price) to the price of the car, and people would look at other models.

BMW is trying to shoehorn the 1M into a lineup that is already crowded.
__________________
www.ReTuneTheDeTune.com
2019 M2 Competition (Sunset Orange)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
IS3andME
Major
441
Rep
1,157
Posts

Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Sorry, I don't see the M3 and the 911 as being in the same segment whatsoever.

The M3 is more of a sports sedan (in fact the ultimate iteration of the form - even in two door version it at least has a useable back seat) while the 911 is a true unaldulterated sports car. Price points are much different, as well.

I'm not saying the M3 doesn't perform. But I just don't think BMW really offers anything comparable to the 911.
You may not see, but damn, since the days of the E36 M3 GT class, it was ,gasp, going up against the 911s in the same class. And then there was the V8 M3 GTR debacle, and who was crying foul? Porsche was. This fighting on the track led to fighting on the streets, the M3 became a 911 Carrera competitor since the days of the E36 M3. It offered almost similar hp, perforance, for lesser amount of dough...

And many M3 owners aspire to own a 911...

Those points alone, may help you see the 911/M3 light.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Haywood's Avatar
United_States
1955
Rep
2,771
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
No DCT because of the price. Add another $2900 (M3 DCT Price) to the price of the car, and people would look at other models.

BMW is trying to shoehorn the 1M into a lineup that is already crowded.
Crowded? I'm trying figure out what would compete against a 1M? Mustang? That's been debated at nauseam. Boxster or Cayman? Still, 2 seaters at a higher price point. Call me a BMW fan boy, but the 1M is going to be hard to match if it delivers as promised.
__________________
2003 Le Mans Blue e39 M5 Dinan S1
1997 Alpine White e36 M3 (the old gal)
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
BForbes
Moderator
BForbes's Avatar
Bahamas
411
Rep
4,240
Posts

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
I love the BimmerFile guys, personally. They're enthusiasts like most of us, so their audio may not always be perfect, and their opinions may seem counter-culture at times, but that's what I love about the blog. It's not like every other corporate-owned magazine or blog that feeds us the latest bullcrap fed down from their paid sponsors.

I believe that "hiccup" was that the 1///M bested the ///M3 around the ring when coupled to a DCT transmission.
+1.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
MinusS50
Enlisted Member
MinusS50's Avatar
France
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

I don't think you have work on PCM guys because what you need to consider is the CAN message aren't the same between a 3 Series and 1 Serie (old generation ECU).

So to make all the communication between the gearbox and powertrain module it's pretty rough plus you need to have the right spec in the PCM which i will believe are for a normal auto but nothing for a dual clutch ... (they are different).

So it rather related to the amount of work and money than anything else.
__________________
I'm French no one is perfect in this world
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
saeyedoc
Captain
180
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Crowded? I'm trying figure out what would compete against a 1M? Mustang? That's been debated at nauseam. Boxster or Cayman? Still, 2 seaters at a higher price point. Call me a BMW fan boy, but the 1M is going to be hard to match if it delivers as promised.
I think he was referring to competing models in the BMW line, not other brands.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
1
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: jb 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: las vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo//SD View Post
Maybe it's me, but that podcast is difficult to listen to.
1) The difference in audio between the two is drastic and jarring.
2) The other guy (not Gabe) always sounds sour/pissed off.
It is frequently difficult to listen to,but for me it's because of Gabe.
I think the other guy,as you say (Michael) is pissed off because he wants Gabe to annunciate his words(sleepy,mouthful of marbles) and stop completely talking over every point (IMO).
__________________

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
1
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: jb 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: las vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
NO DOGMAS.......
NO DOGMAS is a dogma
__________________

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #19
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Smokey's Avatar
38
Rep
747
Posts

Drives: on twisty roads
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [4.00]
2011 M3  [5.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [5.00]
2011 335iS  [4.80]
I love how bmw complains about the cost of dct for the 1M when I just got a dct rebate on my 335is order
__________________

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
507
Rep
3,201
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
You may not see, but damn, since the days of the E36 M3 GT class, it was ,gasp, going up against the 911s in the same class. And then there was the V8 M3 GTR debacle, and who was crying foul? Porsche was. This fighting on the track led to fighting on the streets, the M3 became a 911 Carrera competitor since the days of the E36 M3. It offered almost similar hp, perforance, for lesser amount of dough...

And many M3 owners aspire to own a 911...

Those points alone, may help you see the 911/M3 light.
Your statement highlights the fact that the two cars are, indeed, not in the same class.

My point had nothing to do with performance or the world of racing, but that the M3 and 911 were not in the same market segment, competeing for the same consumer's dollars. Sure, there may be some overlap, and I have no doubt that many M3 owners might aspire to 911 ownership, but the fact is the M3 MSRP's for over $20,000 less than a base model 911 with no options. If you're spending 911 money on a car, you're sort of beyond considering the M3, except perhaps as a family car.

Not only that, but the cars are worlds apart in terms of character, design, style, etc. They just are not comparable vehicles at all, despite the fact that there may be a rivalry on the racetrack.
__________________
____________________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
194
Rep
3,244
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Not only that, but the cars are worlds apart in terms of character, design, style, etc. They just are not comparable vehicles at all, despite the fact that there may be a rivalry on the racetrack.
I think that they are very comparable but you still cannot believe how a BMW M3 could outrun a Porsche and be better than a Porsche. A Porsche is an overpriced car with all the extra money paid for exclusivity and heritage and not performance. That's all. Get over it...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkR171's Avatar
53
Rep
1,531
Posts

Drives: SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If cost is really an issue, screw M-DCT and give us the DCT from the 135. My transmission is perfectly fine, I don't need 7 settings because I'll only use 1.
__________________
2007 SLK55 AMG - Black on Gray/Black - AMG 030 Performance Package

2011 135i - Traded
///M-Sport - Dual Clutch - Harman Kardon - Bluetooth - iPod - Shadowline Kidney Grill - 225/255 Star Specs - Hotchkis Front Sway
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST