E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > got another oil change coupon from another dealership

07-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

got another oil change coupon from another dealership

The one I keep getting but never used due to location of the dealership is $69.99, 7 qts., M and diesel extra. Now I get one from my selling dealership, $89.99 (they usually get $140), 7 qts., BUT, it says something like oil not reset without a microfilter cabin change, microfilter for cabin extra.

Any clue what that means? Is it a catch where they won't reset your CBS unless you pay extra for the microcabin? Which I'm sure is like $1000 (j/k but I thought i was some outrageous amount for something we could easily do ourselves)....

And I totally don't get the CBS. Last Aug. I had a low mileage 6k change. Go in Nov. and they change it again 1,800 later. When I check it today, it says it needs replacement in 11/2012, which would be 2 years from the last change. I've only driven 5k since last november. WTF is going on?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Dealer sounds shady, reset should be a part of the oil change. I would only use their offer if I were able to see them change the oil/filter then I would reset it myself in their parking lot.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
canook
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Dealer sounds shady, reset should be a part of the oil change. I would only use their offer if I were able to see them change the oil/filter then I would reset it myself in their parking lot.

I believe reset only occurs if the car hits it's annual interval or mileage interval. They may just be offering an in-between oil change. They cannot submit a warranty claim for the oil unless 1 of those 2 conditions are met.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Sounds suspicious. The cabin airfilter replacement and oil change are independent from oneanother. If you are outside the free maintenance plan, then I see no reason why the CBS wouldn't be reset. I'm with criztofor, just get the oil change, and if you are beyond the maintenance plan, reset the CBS using the turnsignal stalk. The cabin airfilter is something like $25 and takes five minutes to replace.

The CBS gives the estimated mileage until the next oil change, or the time interval if the mileage is not reached within 12 months (I think BMW recently changed it to 24 months).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
(I think BMW recently changed it to 24 months).
Really?! That would explain the 11/2012 showing on my dash. What I find ridiculous about that is a) oil hasn't changed since my car was mfg. b) my car hasn't changed since it was mfg.

What amazing discovery did BMW engineers find that enabled them to extend the service life of the same oil to two years?

I will say this, the price of synthetic seems to have skyrocketed. I was getting Castrol Syntec for my Nissan @ $19.97 per 5 qt. jug. I went to get one this week and it was $26.97, and a hair more than Mobil 1.

At this rate, we'll all be wondering why BMW increased the service life of their oil to 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canook View Post
I believe reset only occurs if the car hits it's annual interval or mileage interval. They may just be offering an in-between oil change. They cannot submit a warranty claim for the oil unless 1 of those 2 conditions are met.
but the dealer is not saying that, they are telling John "oil not reset without a microfilter cabin change, microfilter for cabin extra."
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

My dealer just charged me $50 to reset & $118 for an oil change. I assumed that reset was included but i was wrong and was not told about it upfront. It goes without saying that i'm going back to that dealer again !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
My dealer just charged me $50 to reset & $118 for an oil change. I assumed that reset was included but i was wrong and was not told about it upfront. It goes without saying that i'm going back to that dealer again !!!
You see that's what I mean--does that build customer trust?

I don't care about the semantics, I want the CBS to be accurate. So what they're saying is if you want CBS to be usable, you have to pay extra when out of warranty/maintenance. If you don't pay, your CBS will be screwed up.

It wouldn't surprise me that there's fine print--if your CBS is screwed up, your extended warranty/cpo is void.

There are way more honest ways to earn $50.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Really?! That would explain the 11/2012 showing on my dash. What I find ridiculous about that is a) oil hasn't changed since my car was mfg. b) my car hasn't changed since it was mfg.
BMW tried to change it to two years in 2010 but quickly changed it back to one after owners' protests.

So except for a month or two, it has always been one year - just as your Service/Warranty manual says - at least since they went to OEM synthetic in 1999.

But for some reason, the US dash computer programming has always been for 2 years (per Euro practice, IIRC - something about crappy US gasoline), so you may want to show your SA the manual if there is a question of coverage.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

I just did my oil change myself. $66 for all th parts from BMW and took 30 minutes. I would almost pay the next time if they weren't crooks. I have 2 dealers in town and I called one to get a quote for an oil change. She said "usually" $149. So I asked what price it is when it's not usually $149 and she wouldn't tell me. So I called the other dealer and he quoted me $220. Really? That's just insane. But I just reset the computer myself and everything is good to go.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
canook
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Quote:
but the dealer is not saying that, they are telling John "oil not reset without a microfilter cabin change, microfilter for cabin extra."
i think i'm failing to understand everything here. Is this coupon for vehicle's outside of the factory warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

i think i'm failing to understand everything here. Is this coupon for vehicle's outside of the factory warranty?
Yes, or there are others who prefer to get an oil change between the 15k mile periods.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got this coupon, it states that they wont reset the oil cbs unless you purchase a microfilter. My car is out of warranty and they don't know how many miles I drive, it is a generic coupon, so this is total bs. Like i said, get it and reset the oil indicator in their parking lot, but only if you get to see them change the oil/filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You can reset it yourself

However this may effect your next free oil change if you are going to get one.
People are much to hung up on this lousy computer recall system to the determent of the the long term health of there car.

There is DIY on reseting oil and any of the the changable items in the DIY section here , you do it from the control stocks.
Appreciate 0