E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My odd JB4 experience

09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Mpower77i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

My odd JB4 experience

To make a long story short... installed it. Liked the power. Would have loved quicker throttle response but thats for another thread.

I ran:
map 1
93 octane
DCI

Anyway, after week one, I get a limp mode light. Typically when you shut the car off and turn it on again, you dont have another limp mode for at least another few weeks. Instead I went into limp mode every single time I went wide open throttle. I also noticed that when it wasnt in limp mode, the car reved faster & higher without the appropriate acceleration to match.(slow) So I brought the car home, read, then deleted the codes, removed my JB4, DCI and got the car back to stock.

Heres the codes....

2A87 Outlet-Vanos variable cam control test, mechanics
3100 low boost mode engaged -- CEL displayed
2F9E Thermic oil level sensor
30FF Boost under target -- possible boost leak

So now the car is back to stock. I warm it up and try to replicate the limp mode. Does it on the first try.

I bring it to the dealer to check it out, they notice the boost leak code, erase it but then cannot get the car to go into limp mode again. They call me up to come down to the dealer and test drive with the tech and replicate limp mode. I try my best to get the car into limp mode with no such luck. They pressure test all of the tubes, lines etc... leading to the turbos and cannot find a leak. The tech suspects that if theres a leak, its gotta be the turbos themselves which will cost me $7k to replace. But, the car is actually driving fine now.

Million dollar question is, now.... do I accept my good fortune that the turbos are working fine and sell the JB4? Or do I gamble again, install the JB4 and risk a potential expensive problem due to the high boost pressure associated with the JB4?

Last edited by Mpower77i; 09-21-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Wa Map were u running?? Any other Mods u forgot to mention perhaps??
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Mpower77i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbmer View Post
Wa Map were u running?? Any other Mods u forgot to mention perhaps??
Vital info that I forgot to add. Thanks.

Map 1
93 octane
DCI

No other mods
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Correlation does not imply causation. It is not certain that the JB4 caused any actual issue, particularly since you were able to get it to go into limp mode with DCI and JB4 removed.

It's also possible there is a faulty sensor, and not an actual boost pressure problem. I'd still drive the car for another week before putting the JB4 back on to see if the problem resurfaces.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

VANOS problems are very common on stock and tuned cars. First step is to replace the VANOS solenoids.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Mpower77i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
Correlation does not imply causation. It is not certain that the JB4 caused any actual issue, particularly since you were able to get it to go into limp mode with DCI and JB4 removed.

It's also possible there is a faulty sensor, and not an actual boost pressure problem. I'd still drive the car for another week before putting the JB4 back on to see if the problem resurfaces.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Although when you add more boost to a engine, it has to be a potential culprit.

Yep, im going to give it more time in stock form before making a decision.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Mpower77i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
VANOS problems are very common on stock and tuned cars. First step is to replace the VANOS solenoids.

Mike
Ive heard that quite a bit, and im surprised the tech didnt take that into consideration. What the tech did was recommend cleaning my valves as a precautionary measure. $600
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Akopley
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

i had VANOS issues when i first got my JB4 and after having one replaced under warranty i reinstalled the JB4 just to have it go limp again. This time they replaced both and for the past 2 months everything has been fine. I became good friends with my SA and he is fully aware of my mods (tune, intake, DP's) and doesn't let them void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Mpower77i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akopley View Post
i had VANOS issues when i first got my JB4 and after having one replaced under warranty i reinstalled the JB4 just to have it go limp again. This time they replaced both and for the past 2 months everything has been fine. I became good friends with my SA and he is fully aware of my mods (tune, intake, DP's) and doesn't let them void my warranty.
Im trying to build a rapport with my SA as well

What was the cost to replace both Vanos?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Akopley
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I am still under warranty so nothing! I got my SA a bottle of GIN and since then have brought the car in 3 times and received convertible 335i loaners each time along with free oil changes...dude hooks it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

DP's Reccomended

I did read that MAP 2 is for modified exhaust . I am hesitant to run the JB on regular driving becuase of boost related issues like what you are describing. I set t o map 0 off the highway and map 5 for long trips , my question is about the codes you are experienceing, are they coming form the JB4 removal? or are they produced in MAP 0 too?

I run stock now and it feels pretty sluggish, not sure if the JB made some adaptive changes to my stock configuration or I just got a little spoiled with the added boost.
Appreciate 0