E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > meth as a cooling solution?

09-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

meth as a cooling solution?

i got a stock N54 with no oil cooler, and i want a solution that provide the most cooling.
i've been researching external oil cooler (AR, VK, custom) and i've heard that while they do work, they're far from enough.

i wonder if i can consider meth injection as a cooling solution? (thinking about the vishnu pwm)
i've heard somewhere that besides adding a whole lot of power, it also keep the engine running cooler? am i crazy or would that work?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
i got a stock N54 with no oil cooler, and i want a solution that provide the most cooling.
i've been researching external oil cooler (AR, VK, custom) and i've heard that while they do work, they're far from enough.

i wonder if i can consider meth injection as a cooling solution? (thinking about the vishnu pwm)
i've heard somewhere that besides adding a whole lot of power, it also keep the engine running cooler? am i crazy or would that work?
Running meth alone will drop oil temps by as much as 30-50F during hot-lapping conditions. This is because it prevents high IATs which results in the DME dropping timing targets to single digit levels. When timing drops this low, the thermal efficiency of the engine goes down the crapper and more and more of the combustion energy is released as heat which finds its way into the cooling system.

Hope that helps!
shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

I beat the tar out of my car on Roebling Road with 110* track temps --- 260* was the highest oil temp using the PWM kit. Highly recommended.
      09-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
I beat the tar out of my car on Roebling Road with 110* track temps --- 260* was the highest oil temp using the PWM kit. Highly recommended.
Awesome. We saw the same thing at Buttonwillow during a 100F day.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:

Even with meth, you won't be able to do more than a lap without an oil cooler. It is essential. I'm selling an oil cooler retrofit kit in the for sale section, that can allow you to run a custom oil cooler with a fan. Just do a search for the thread with my username.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Even with meth, you won't be able to do more than a lap without an oil cooler. It is essential. I'm selling an oil cooler retrofit kit in the for sale section, that can allow you to run a custom oil cooler with a fan. Just do a search for the thread with my username.
I've never tested a car without at least a factory oil cooler on the track. So if trackdays are the goal, then yes, definitely go with a cooler as well as meth. But for street use, I really think he will be fine with just meth alone.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
335okc
Captain
Rep

Yay! i'm not crazy AND i got the guru to answer my question.

i actually already have the retrofit oil cooler housing. i got an adapter plate made by a friend who has cnc machine. i'm just frustrated to find a big enough space to mount a big enough core to make a difference.

although unlikely, is there anybody running the pwm without any oil cooler??
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
335okc
Captain
Rep

Got the pwm kit + procede + dci ordered today. Im giddy with excitement!
Thanks to robert to take his time and answer my dozens of questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I am a little confused; can someone explain the relation between oil temps and IAT's? I thought oil temps were per se the engine temperature whereas the IAT's are the air temps entering the intake on the outside and then into the engine. I would imagine a meth kit and oil cooler would have completely different functionality but I guess there is a relation somewhere along the way
      09-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I am a little confused; can someone explain the relation between oil temps and IAT's? I thought oil temps were per se the engine temperature whereas the IAT's are the air temps entering the intake on the outside and then into the engine. I would imagine a meth kit and oil cooler would have completely different functionality but I guess there is a relation somewhere along the way
Meth allows more efficient combustion meaning more energy used as work on the piston instead of heat which is absorbed by the oil, coolant... easier to maintain temp. this would only apply when pushing the car. Also lower IAT will result in lower final combustion temp.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:

Why not add the BMW stock oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Why not add the BMW stock oil cooler?
Because methanol will cool oil temps better and provide another 120whp when combined with a Procede

shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

After pulling 4 hard pulls against a supercharged e46 m3, I turned my meth controller to start spraying from 1 psi. I could see the oil temps come down faster than they went up.
And I am without oil cooler, running (what some may say obsolete technology) pps snow performance kit
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

order a oil cooler now too. it is pointless to have that fast of a car without being able to push it hard.
      09-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Awesome. We saw the same thing at Buttonwillow during a 100F day.
255-260 F oil temps at Thunderhill in the upper 90's. This car really enjoys meth, hopeflly she's not getting meth mouth.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
255-260 F oil temps at Thunderhill in the upper 90's. This car really enjoys meth, hopeflly she's not getting meth mouth.
lol just watch out, those grills will fall off anytime.
on a serious note, i'm glad and excited people's statistics and data are backing up my decission.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #17
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
order a oil cooler now too. it is pointless to have that fast of a car without being able to push it hard.
i already design a custom oil cooler that i was going to install this winter (i hate working on cars when it's hot). probably will still do that, just in the spring next year.

the meth kit looks a lot easier to install, no cutting, drilling, trimming, etc that the oil cooler will need.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
i already design a custom oil cooler that i was going to install this winter (i hate working on cars when it's hot). probably will still do that, just in the spring next year.

the meth kit looks a lot easier to install, no cutting, drilling, trimming, etc that the oil cooler will need.
just do it all at once. my friend has 07 e90 335 with no oil cooler and his runs so hot compared to mine and he only has jb4. he has to cool his car down after running hard. imo do the oc
      09-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

OP,

If I were you, I'd still purchase the oil cooler in conjunction with the water/meth injection kit. There is no replacement for the oil cooler, if you track your car hard, the temps will still rise very high, even when spraying meth, and probably cause a limp mode. Now meth with the oil cooler might allow you to stay out on the track longer or push the car harder than you would with just an oil cooler alone. See if BMW can do an oil cooler retrofit on your car vs. the aftermarket route. If you do plan on tracking the car often, check out the aftermarket kits as they will provide more cooling than stock, but are probably overkill for "spirited" driving.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

so now a PWM meth kit will also keep the oil temps at bay? wow, what an awesome upgrade for any car and any situation! lol

dude, if you're worried about your oil temps get a proper oil cooler, full stop...meth is awesome but its not the solution to world hunger that some are trying to make it out to be
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
so now a PWM meth kit will also keep the oil temps at bay? wow, what an awesome upgrade for any car and any situation! lol

dude, if you're worried about your oil temps get a proper oil cooler, full stop...meth is awesome but its not the solution to world hunger that some are trying to make it out to be
You must be talking about one of these? Only $60, hell yes!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
You must be talking about one of these? Only $60, hell yes!
sh*t, the secret is out there now, how dare you? lol
Appreciate 0