E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Questions regarding vinyl wrapping.

09-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Questions regarding vinyl wrapping.

I'm thinking about wrapping a few parts. Mainly mirrors, roof, maybe a few other things. I'm going to wrap carbon fiber.
Now, my question is... considering I live in Michigan with the horrendous snow and weather conditions, will it be okay? Will it last or will it peel soon? What if I get it professionally done?

Thanks in advanced.
      09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

It's a pretty durable product but any extreme heat, cold, or moisture will probably damage it. Plenty of wrapped roofs out here in California but since we don't have the elements you do, haven't seen the results.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I had my roof wrapped in CF di-noc for 2 years and it held up fine.

I have my mirrors wrapped with Avery matte white vinyl and they are holding up ok. Matte colors in general, pick up dirt easily. If not cleaned right away, it stains. Especially matte white.

But the di-noc should be fine. It's about double, maybe even more, the thickness of the avery matte white I used on my mirrors.

You should be fine. The mirrors are a bit difficult to wrap. With di-noc it maybe harder. Maybe the 3M scotchprint maybe easier. I've heard of many people stating that scotchprint is easier to work with than di-noc. I did a dry install. It's harder but neccasary to do dry install. If you try to do a wet install, the vinyl will just slide when you try to heat it and pull it around the edges.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I had my roof wrapped in CF di-noc for 2 years and it held up fine.

I have my mirrors wrapped with Avery matte white vinyl and they are holding up ok. Matte colors in general, pick up dirt easily. If not cleaned right away, it stains. Especially matte white.

But the di-noc should be fine. It's about double, maybe even more, the thickness of the avery matte white I used on my mirrors.

You should be fine. The mirrors are a bit difficult to wrap. With di-noc it maybe harder. Maybe the 3M scotchprint maybe easier. I've heard of many people stating that scotchprint is easier to work with than di-noc. I did a dry install. It's harder but neccasary to do dry install. If you try to do a wet install, the vinyl will just slide when you try to heat it and pull it around the edges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
It's a pretty durable product but any extreme heat, cold, or moisture will probably damage it. Plenty of wrapped roofs out here in California but since we don't have the elements you do, haven't seen the results.
Thanks for the info so far
      10-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

not to thread jack this thread but what if i wrap an unpainted ebay aero lip rep? will it hold up fine?
Appreciate 0