E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Detail learning session (Cleveland, OH region)

05-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Detail learning session (Cleveland, OH region)

One of my fellow E90 members in the Cleveland area (Nyulak - Miguel) expressed some interest in learning some of the finer points about detailing his car. I've been constantly reading, asking and watching everything I can and in no way will I say I am a professional or anything like that, but I would like to think I am a pretty good amature detailer. I also think I am the only person on the forums in this area to have all the necessary detailing tools such as a PC and other goodies like that, at least that to my knowledge.

Since Miguel and myself are planning on getting together I figured it would only be right to open this up to the other members. As of now we have no concrete date and are leaning towards after Memorial day. We both seem to be free most weekends so I would like to see if anyone else would be interested and maybe chime in some dates they would be available.

A place has not been set either. I'm currently in a apartment and use my dad's one car driveway for my detailing pleasures but that would not be a good place for numerous cars. I will be in the hunt for a house very soon but don't know how soon I will be in one. So if anyone in the immediate area would like to offer their place as the location that would be very nice as well. I will ofcourse bring all my supplies for everyones learning.

Since we'll be using my supplies, depending on if we only use my car as a demonstration or if other people want theirs done I may need to charge a monitary fee for use of wax and stuff, prolly no more than $5-10 per car I would assume. Of course that all depends on how things shake out.

So I guess that covers everything I can think of right now. Let me know what you guys think and throw out some weekend dates.

Thanks,
Garrett

E90 members attending/interested:

darkcloud
Nyulak

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Schweeet!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I see theres a few views but no comments. Is no one interested?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
One of my fellow E90 members in the Cleveland area (Nyulak - Miguel) expressed some interest in learning some of the finer points about detailing his car. I've been constantly reading, asking and watching everything I can and in no way will I say I am a professional or anything like that, but I would like to think I am a pretty good amature detailer. I also think I am the only person on the forums in this area to have all the necessary detailing tools such as a PC and other goodies like that, at least that to my knowledge.

Since Miguel and myself are planning on getting together I figured it would only be right to open this up to the other members. As of now we have no concrete date and are leaning towards after Memorial day. We both seem to be free most weekends so I would like to see if anyone else would be interested and maybe chime in some dates they would be available.

A place has not been set either. I'm currently in a apartment and use my dad's one car driveway for my detailing pleasures but that would not be a good place for numerous cars. I will be in the hunt for a house very soon but don't know how soon I will be in one. So if anyone in the immediate area would like to offer their place as the location that would be very nice as well. I will ofcourse bring all my supplies for everyones learning.

Since we'll be using my supplies, depending on if we only use my car as a demonstration or if other people want theirs done I may need to charge a monitary fee for use of wax and stuff, prolly no more than $5-10 per car I would assume. Of course that all depends on how things shake out.

So I guess that covers everything I can think of right now. Let me know what you guys think and throw out some weekend dates.

Thanks,
Garrett

E90 members attending/interested:

darkcloud
Nyulak

I'm interested in some detailing tips, and actually will be in Akron the first two weekends in June, but don't forsee myself having any free time while i'm there 8( . My sister lives in Parma though and I may be staying with her. So if it's a morning meet, I may be able to make it before going back to Akron.

I'll let you know.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
anthony_h
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6spd

I'm interested... let me know what day you decide to do this!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:
I see theres a few views but no comments. Is no one interested?
Anyway we can help out? Depending on how I spin it, I might be able to open up some space here at our center to do it, maybe on a sunday or something.

David
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
Anyway we can help out? Depending on how I spin it, I might be able to open up some space here at our center to do it, maybe on a sunday or something.

David
David,

That would be pretty cool of Ganley BMW if that's possible. Like I said before I don't have the space for several cars at where I perform my detailing. If you want to say something to Carlos or whoever would be the decider on something like that be my guest. If you were to provide the space there I would also say open this up to your own customers/employees as well. Maybe even your guy that cleans the cars , not saying he does a bad job but I've watched him and he can def. learn a thing or two about a proper wash that I'm sure 75% or more of your customers would really appreciate when their car comes in for service.

I also want to stress that I am by no means a professional, just a weekend amature. But I do feel I do a good enough job that I would never want to spend $200+ on having someone else detail my car. If everyone could take care of their car with just a little more attention like I do the detailing business would be in shambles haha.

So I guess if you have any questions or what not just grab my cell number from John or get it off your system and give me a call.

Garrett

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_h View Post
I'm interested... let me know what day you decide to do this!!
Update your location tag already . You no longer live in the land of hockey .

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Just glancing at my calander I have these dates open as of now:

June 3rd - I think would have to double check
June 17th - Fathers day, It's open but most people prolly wouldn't want to come then.
June 24th - Nothing planned

I have nothing planned for any July Sunday except maybe the 8th but I think thats something more for my gf and I'm not required to go to.

I also have nothing planned for any Sunday in August.

Lets put something in stone ASAP haha.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
The sooner you set a date, the sooner I can block it our from anybody else. I can go pretty much anywhere. I actually have room for a couple of cars to park, but large trucks drive through every so often and they sometimes carry dirt or rocks and I wouldn't want it to get on the vehicles.

Maybe I'll post a picture of my parking accommodations later.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
David,

That would be pretty cool of Ganley BMW if that's possible. Like I said before I don't have the space for several cars at where I perform my detailing. If you want to say something to Carlos or whoever would be the decider on something like that be my guest. If you were to provide the space there I would also say open this up to your own customers/employees as well. Maybe even your guy that cleans the cars , not saying he does a bad job but I've watched him and he can def. learn a thing or two about a proper wash that I'm sure 75% or more of your customers would really appreciate when their car comes in for service.

I also want to stress that I am by no means a professional, just a weekend amature. But I do feel I do a good enough job that I would never want to spend $200+ on having someone else detail my car. If everyone could take care of their car with just a little more attention like I do the detailing business would be in shambles haha.

So I guess if you have any questions or what not just grab my cell number from John or get it off your system and give me a call.

Garrett
I'll see what I can do.... I'll let you know. fyi, we no longer have the same wash guy, current guy is MUCH better:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll see what I can do.... I'll let you know. fyi, we no longer have the same wash guy, current guy is MUCH better:rocks:
Haha thank god. My car was water spotted and wipe marks galour the last couple times I was in . I got to the point that I had Jim leaving a note on the seat to, "DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" .

Let me know. Just like what Miguel said, the sooner we firm up a date the sooner I can block it out from anything else. I also want to order some more supplies for my stash but I would like to have it all if this does go down.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Haha thank god. My car was water spotted and wipe marks galour the last couple times I was in . I got to the point that I had Jim leaving a note on the seat to, "DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" .

Let me know. Just like what Miguel said, the sooner we firm up a date the sooner I can block it out from anything else. I also want to order some more supplies for my stash but I would like to have it all if this does go down.
actually THAT guy, is still around. But the one who details deliveries is new (and improved) now. But yes, the one who cleans cars in for service, he is terrible, I'm embarassed by the cars I see, and they aren't even my clients
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
actually THAT guy, is still around. But the one who details deliveries is new (and improved) now. But yes, the one who cleans cars in for service, he is terrible, I'm embarassed by the cars I see, and they aren't even my clients
The silvers and whites you don't notice. But for the people with SG(me), BS, JB or any dark color for that matter he makes look like hell. I'd laugh when I saw my car coming from the back, then either stop on the way home or wash the car when I get home to correct his handy work.

God if Ganley wants to match my current salary I'll wash cars all day long although I'd be one expensive car wash haha.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

i should be free on later part of june, say around last week of june..i'll let you guys know, wont mind driving down to cleveland for a meet
      05-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
I guess we should really look into scoping out Crocker Park for picture opportunities if we get enough people.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
Apgolf335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

i want in, im in the cleveland area and would love some advice on detailing, im flexible so let us know!

Sparkling Graphite/Black/Burl Walnut/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather/Step
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
My parking lot...

Some pics of my home's parking condition.

Lol, I just noticed the picture shows a lot of Ford products. Makes sense since I live down the street from the Ford Ohio Assembly Plant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Hey David, any word on if Ganley would be interested in helping out? I'm sure the interested would like to set something up soon.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #20
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
With my help your car can look this good...

More pics in link...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...59#post1031059

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #21
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
lol, it's all I can do to become motivated enough to clean my rims.

I did buy a pack of microfiber cloths today at Target, but I am considering the Zaino detail pack. It's 100+ dollars, which I guess isn't too bad considering what you get and how everybody raves about the product. The problem is that Corsa said they would detail my car for me when they are finished with the axle-back exhaust project.

At the rate they are moving, if I wax now it will need it by the time they are finished.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
lol, it's all I can do to become motivated enough to clean my rims.

I did buy a pack of microfiber cloths today at Target, but I am considering the Zaino detail pack. It's 100+ dollars, which I guess isn't too bad considering what you get and how everybody raves about the product. The problem is that Corsa said they would detail my car for me when they are finished with the axle-back exhaust project.

At the rate they are moving, if I wax now it will need it by the time they are finished.
Lesson #1... please don't use those MF towls you bought, unless you got them to clean your windows or inside the doors. Using them on your paint is wrong

I didn't think it either but there is a difference in MF towls. I always bought the mf towls at autozone or whatever and just didn't know any better. After I picked up some real quality towls and I finally realized the difference. Either get Cobra MF towls, you can get them at www.autogeek.net or get Pakshak towls at www.pakshak.com . I picked up a 10 pack from detailed image and they seem good as well, just not as plush as cobra's or pakshak.

Bad mf towls will only help cause more swirling. Swirling is our enemy.

As for Zaino, I've read rave reviews and read how much of a pain in the ass the process is. Either way the results looks great in pictures but never seen a car in person with the zaino package completed.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0