E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear windows stuck open when wet

12-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
apocalypse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Rear windows stuck open when wet

So there was a bit of rain today and I wanted to open and close the windows to clear off some of the water. The front windows were fine, but both the rear windows got stuck fully open! The motors were going but it seemed like it was triggering the pinch sensors and stopped right away. After a couple minutes I was finally able to close it.

Anybody had this happen before? Could it be the sensors or the motor going bad?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

This has happened to me a few times, seems random, and has happened on both sides. First time in a snow storm. Fix has been to push the front upper corner of the window towards the rear and jiggle a bit. Goes right up. Something must get slightly out of alignment and get stuck. My preventative measure has been to try to remember, and not fully open the rear windows. I always forget to mention this when it is in for service.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
apocalypse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Hm, I had another thought, could it be caused by bad tints?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Bent
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Try to re-initialize the faulty window. The process is easy. I found numerous web pages that explain it and my Bentley manual covers it. But, add one additional step to the initializing process to insure success. When raising the window apply a little downward force with your hand to trick the computer into recording a higher current draw on the window motor. After initialization is complete the computer will then compare window operation with this new high value. Stuck window problem will be gone. Don't apply too much pressure because you want the antitrap feature to still work safely. Also take your fingers out before the top. I'm not assuming any responsility for any damage or injuries that may occur. Use at own risk.
Appreciate 0