E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 interior lighting malfunction

12-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
E|ninety|3
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.50]
e90 interior lighting malfunction

So I ordered a bunch of LEDs from ddmtuning and after I changed all theinterior lights they started malfunctioning

When I start my car they work, after I start driving and turn the interior lights off they ddont turn back on unless I park and take the key out, footwell and courtesy lights work perfectly fine and they're the same exact bulbs.

Also the front dome's center light is out and even if I put the stock bulb back in it doesn't turn on.. maybe a blown fuse?

Anyone know how to fix this?

This is a 2006 330i
      12-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ragemaker View Post
So I ordered a bunch of LEDs from ddmtuning and after I changed all theinterior lights they started malfunctioning

When I start my car they work, after I start driving and turn the interior lights off they ddont turn back on unless I park and take the key out, footwell and courtesy lights work perfectly fine and they're the same exact bulbs.

Also the front dome's center light is out and even if I put the stock bulb back in it doesn't turn on.. maybe a blown fuse?

Anyone know how to fix this?

This is a 2006 330i
Check your fuses. They could be drawing more power so you would need more potent fuses. Here's a pic of the fuse box to help you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
bmodzelewski
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

LEDs typically draw less power...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmodzelewski View Post
LEDs typically draw less power...
Certain types of lights require more power to turn on than to operate. That's why it is recommend you leave certain lights on in your house than constantly turning them on and off. I'm not an expert. I'm trying to help this guy because I want to do this to my car eventually and knowing how to solve this problem in case it happens to me will be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
I have a 2008 E90 335xi and have the same issues after replacing with an interior LED kit.

If i'm driving and try and turn the front or rear dome lights on, only the footwell lights turn on. The map lights work properly under all conditions. If I turn off the car the dome lights work fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Certain types of lights require more power to turn on than to operate. That's why it is recommend you leave certain lights on in your house than constantly turning them on and off. I'm not an expert. I'm trying to help this guy because I want to do this to my car eventually and knowing how to solve this problem in case it happens to me will be helpful.
HID and led technology is completely different. HID ballast are affected by turning them on and off. Where as LEDs can be turned off and on all you want. In fact there is usually a PWM, pulse width modulation signal sent to the LEDs/drivers to control brightness. Basically it turns the LEDs on and off so fast we cannot see the flickering but instead we see a dimmed led.

OP the guy who mentioned that LEDs draw less power is right. Some of the cheaper kits don't provide any counter measures to trick the computer into thinking there is actually a functioning bulb installed.

The car will disable these circuits after it realizes that the fixtures aren't drawing the normal current. You need to either add in resistors to trick the computer into thinking it has functioning bulbs installed or return them to the vendor.

This is not a fuse issue because the lights would not work after the fuse was blown. Which is not the case since the lights work after a restart.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
E|ninety|3
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post

Yeah thanks! I'll take a look first thing once I get off work. So the pictures of the 2 charts have different numbers correlated to the same things..? Not sure if I'm looking at it right?
      12-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarkin View Post
I have a 2008 E90 335xi and have the same issues after replacing with an interior LED kit.

If i'm driving and try and turn the front or rear dome lights on, only the footwell lights turn on. The map lights work properly under all conditions. If I turn off the car the dome lights work fine.
i have an e90 335xi and having the same issue with my LED install. Mine were working fine until i did my first motor crank and then the domes flickered and then no more. All other footwell lights work and so do the map lights.

-Faz
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Never mind, after restarting the car... Everything works like a champ.... Seems like it was a one time deal
Appreciate 0