E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery warning?

12-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Montego Blue+Black Int.

Battery warning?

Will I get a warning if the battery is dying? The car seems to be taking longer to start in the morning (after the morning start, it seems normal any time during the day), the car is 07 and it's still the oem battery. Everything else seems to be fine. Should I wait for the warning before switching to new battery? what's the waning sign look like ? a picture of a battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

never mind, found the answer, there is going to be a warning.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

I own a 128i and my first sign was that my clock was not retaining it's memory. Cranking, etc, was all normal. Took it to dealer and they confirmed that non essential items will not work or work erratically before car completely dies and strands you.

After diagnostics they confirmed battery was bad and put in a new one under warranty. They also recommended that I buy a BMW Advanced Charger and connect it like once a week. I did this ($69 from dealer) and have had no probelms since.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Just a warning that I got the battery warning light a couple of months ago after I did a coolant flush and performed the vent procedure. I figured it was due to the battery running the pump for so long. I started up the car and (presumably) charged the battery and had no problems. I did not get another warning light, but last week my car would start and I had to jump it. My battery wasn't completely dead, but didn't have enough juice to start up the car on colder mornings. I figured that I would get another battery warning light before it died, but that wasn't the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Cold weather decreases battery performance. Also it's harder to turn over a completely cold engine. That's why it's easier to crank it after the first start of the day.

I would get your battery replaced as you are an '07.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post
Just a warning that I got the battery warning light a couple of months ago after I did a coolant flush and performed the vent procedure. I figured it was due to the battery running the pump for so long. I started up the car and (presumably) charged the battery and had no problems. I did not get another warning light, but last week my car would start and I had to jump it. My battery wasn't completely dead, but didn't have enough juice to start up the car on colder mornings. I figured that I would get another battery warning light before it died, but that wasn't the case.
You need to put your battery on a tender or charger.

Refer to my post in this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********
You realize that taking a long drive doesn't charge the battery right?

Read my post earlier in the thread. The alternator powers the car's electronics after it's started and it brings the battery back up the 1-3% that was discharged from cranking.

You need a tender/charger to get an absolute, full charge in a discharged battery.

So by starting the car and letting it idle, you are just draining the battery 1-3% every time. Also, at idle the battery isn't maintained. The alternator only starts charging the battery above 1500 rpms and after the car has reached operating temp.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You need to put your battery on a tender or charger.

Refer to my post in this in another thread:
Well, it was the original battery that was 5 and a half years old, so I figured it was probably time to change it anyway. I drive the car pretty much daily, so I usually have no problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Get a Volt/ohmeter

Take a voltage measurement below 12 volts its time to think about changing the battery before it leaves you stranded somewhere.
And the its more trouble than an average car to successfully replace and register.
About 5 years is a what most people that have reasonable driving habits get out of a battery in one of these.
Recently there has been one guy that had his car stranded and another that thought other stuff was wrong with his car because of the long cranks.
When the battery goes dead in these often a jump won't work.
I think using a battery tender is a good idea if you don't drive a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow, thanks for all the info, I guess I can't count on the warning, I was thinking of buying a new battery and throw it in the trunk and be ready to change it anywhere, or just get a jump and drive to walmart
I guess it time to change it, it's been 4 1/2 years already. Thanks.
Appreciate 0