BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
135iDCT
Lieutenant
135iDCT's Avatar
104
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: 135I
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wm

iTrader: (0)

ceramic brake pads...

i want to change the stock brake pads to ceramic pads<< longer life . low dust

can some one tell me what's the best ceramic brake pads
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
ModBargains IV
Second Lieutenant
ModBargains IV's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, La Habra, CA 90631

iTrader: (1)

Centric makes Posi-Quiet Metallic Brake Pads for your 135i - we sell it all the time.

-Frank
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
robert @ eas
230
Rep
4,003
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 4015 E Leaverton Court, Anahiem, CA 92807

iTrader: (0)

We carry the Cool Carbon - Street Performance/Track Tuned (S/T) Brake Pads for your 135i I listed the features below.

Features
- Excellent initial bite
- Consistent torque
- Excellent stopping ability & temperature stability
- Very good fade resistance
- Long life, rotor friendly
- Low dust
- Virtually without noise
- Excellent for daily street use and with very good track performance
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
keep in mind that pads that last longer and have lower dust "may" not have the same braking power your stock pads have.

This is coming from a bmw mechanic:
You can not improve on the braking performance BMW gives you from your car.... unless you upgrade the brakes to a BBK.

This comes from my independent BMW mechanic from GT International Motors. He has been repairing BMW since 1976:
low dust does not mean better braking. Low dust "usually" means harder pad that intern will give you less performance when braking.

I can attest to that with my e39.

However, I still use ceramic pads on my e39 for low brake dust and that is accomplished by Akebono brake pads
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
doublegbmw
Private First Class
3
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: 09 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: vancouver

iTrader: (2)

my oem front brake pads with 8mm left squeal all the time upon complete stopping...dealership after checking says this is common & i'll have to wait till pads reach 50% wear before it will stop???!!!!

will changing to other type/brand of pads stop this?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
BFD99
The Stig!
BFD99's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
890
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Ok

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
I want something with as good as performance as stock if not better, and less brake dust, after a day or two of somewhat enthusiastic driving my wheels will be completely covered in brake dust. It is so annoying. BMW just replaced the pads about 1000 miles ago as well. No improvement.
__________________
2008 135i - FBO + JB4 15ohm + Water Meth
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136481&dateline=13270  10872
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
88
Rep
2,236
Posts

Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
You can not improve on the braking performance BMW gives you from your car.... unless you upgrade the brakes to a BBK.
seriously? if you had ever tracked your 135 you would know how wrong your claim is! oem pads and brake fluid are marginal at best. a simple pad and fluid swap to higher tolerances will get you improved braking performance from your factory brakes.
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
35
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post

This is coming from a bmw mechanic:
You can not improve on the braking performance BMW gives you from your car.... unless you upgrade the brakes to a BBK.
I don't agree with this. Hawk HPS pads have better performance and less dust than BMW stock pads. Cool Carbon S/T pads have better performance and much less dust. That's just two examples.

On the other hand, a BBK with the same shit Jurid pads that BMW gives us would still suck.

Sorry, but I just fucking hate those pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
88
Rep
2,236
Posts

Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.45]
good thing he's not my mechanic
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
77
Rep
2,696
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (1)

sigh...you'd be amazed how many mechanics i've met that know nothing about car performance...they're good at taking things apart and get lucky at putting things back together.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Eddie135's Avatar
Australia
35
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
StopTech offers a wide range of brake pads (Available in street/track applications).

They are pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Eddie135's Avatar
Australia
35
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
Correct me if I am wrong:
More brake dust = good braking power
Less brake dust = moderate braking
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
cpt97m3
AutoXer
28
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong:
More brake dust = good braking power
Less brake dust = moderate braking
There is not a good correlation between the stopping power of the pad and how much dust it puts out. Some pads dust a lot because the manufacture wants to make sure the are quiet.
__________________
2009 135i, Alpine White, 6MT, M-Sport, iDrive, iPod/USB, Heated Seats, Premium Sound, BMW Assist
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
77
Rep
2,696
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (1)

Also the amount of of visible dust and how well it sticks to wheels will vary by compounds.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
135iDCT
Lieutenant
135iDCT's Avatar
104
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: 135I
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wm

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong:
More brake dust = good braking power
Less brake dust = moderate braking
loool nice explanation dude
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
135iDCT
Lieutenant
135iDCT's Avatar
104
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: 135I
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wm

iTrader: (0)

thanx all for the replies....

but i know there r facts of ceramic brakes...
low temp, longer life, very low dust<< maybe the main reason for me to choose ceramic
also make the rotor live longer.. not like the carbon

and i want it for normal street drive not for tracks and high performance
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
135iDCT
Lieutenant
135iDCT's Avatar
104
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: 135I
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wm

iTrader: (0)

http://brakeperformance.com/brakes/index.php?did=1682

the prices in this site is so amazing....is it a trusted site

also what's the diff between metallic and ceramic brakes is metallic better

plz help i'll order them soon
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
seriously? if you had ever tracked your 135 you would know how wrong your claim is! oem pads and brake fluid are marginal at best. a simple pad and fluid swap to higher tolerances will get you improved braking performance from your factory brakes.
with 1,389 posts i would think you would know how to read better. So please, re-read what I posted.

Both John Norris from GT International Motors and Mark Norris from Bavarian Autoworks track there bmw's all around the US. (note: no relation between them)

I have run your argument against both of my mechanics that have worked on my bmw's and both also say that is rubish. They have been doing it for long enough that they have tried many variables to improve braking performance to there cars with minimal cost. The only thing that did have a real positive effect was a BBK anything else was a placebo effect.

However, I am not hear to argue. I am hear to listen and learn and so far both of my mechanics haven't let me down in maintenance or tracking my cars.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
BFD99
The Stig!
BFD99's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
890
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Ok

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iDCT View Post
http://brakeperformance.com/brakes/index.php?did=1682

the prices in this site is so amazing....is it a trusted site

also what's the diff between metallic and ceramic brakes is metallic better

plz help i'll order them soon
Yes they are a good site. I know about 5 people who have used them with good results, just not on a BMW. Though I know they do have great customer service! My buddy bought a set of their slotted and dimpled rotors for his 07 E350 Merc, and they are doing well.
__________________
2008 135i - FBO + JB4 15ohm + Water Meth
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136481&dateline=13270  10872
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
88
Rep
2,236
Posts

Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
with 1,389 posts i would think you would know how to read better. So please, re-read what I posted.

Both John Norris from GT International Motors and Mark Norris from Bavarian Autoworks track there bmw's all around the US. (note: no relation between them)

I have run your argument against both of my mechanics that have worked on my bmw's and both also say that is rubish. They have been doing it for long enough that they have tried many variables to improve braking performance to there cars with minimal cost. The only thing that did have a real positive effect was a BBK anything else was a placebo effect.

However, I am not hear to argue. I am hear to listen and learn and so far both of my mechanics haven't let me down in maintenance or tracking my cars.
I believe I read your post accurately as you're reiterating your earlier claim. I am not looking for an argument but if you search this forum you will quickly learn that your mechanics premise is hogwash. either way, to each his own, if you like to trust what your mechanics tells you, then by all means stick with it but the cold hard facts dispute your trusted mechanics claim. if I were you I would look elsewhere for expert advise than your current trusted circle
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
88
Rep
2,236
Posts

Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iDCT View Post
http://brakeperformance.com/brakes/index.php?did=1682

the prices in this site is so amazing....is it a trusted site

also what's the diff between metallic and ceramic brakes is metallic better

plz help i'll order them soon
OP - if you want to improve your braking and reduce the dreaded dust, I would suggest giving cool carbons a try. I am sure majority of people on this thread would agree they are better than oe pads and produce next to no dust
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I believe I read your post accurately as you're reiterating your earlier claim. I am not looking for an argument but if you search this forum you will quickly learn that your mechanics premise is hogwash. either way, to each his own, if you like to trust what your mechanics tells you, then by all means stick with it but the cold hard facts dispute your trusted mechanics claim. if I were you I would look elsewhere for expert advise than your current trusted circle
your comprehension of the English language is severely lacking. Nowhere in any of my posts have I said that "I" am claiming what I am stating. Those are both of my mechanics claims and I will let there awards, talents, recommendation, and word of mouth in the BMW community in CA. speak for themselves as well as many other BMW enthusiasts that track there cars.

Also this is only one forum. There are many other forums with people that track there cars that would not certainly agree with what this forums says.

But as I have found, like anything that we do these days, what one person swears by that it works without a doubt there will always be another that says, that is hogwash. Tis' is life. You can take it as you wish as well as the OP
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST