E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Have you upgraded your audio system? Tell me...

06-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
kartracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe, 2017 M240ix

Have you upgraded your audio system? Tell me...

My '07 E90 had the Logic7 system which wasn't too bad. That car's gone and my 2010 E92 has the base stereo which is pretty poor. Has anyone in this area fitted aftermarket speakers/processors/amps/subs in their E9x? What did you install, did you DIY or have a shop install it and how are the results?

Back in the day, I installed pretty sophisticated systems in cheaper cars that I didn't mind ripping apart, but I don't savor the thought of tearing apart my Bimmer.

TIA,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
tmaung
CCA Member#: 439255
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Check musicarnw.com. You can do different stage upgrades and they are all plug and play. If your 2010 E92 has HiFi then you are all set and very easy to upgrade. I am waiting on the amps right now from them and then will upgrade the speakers another time. Slightly more expensive than getting the items directly but they send the harnesses all ready to plug in. Email them. Ken is very informative and nice to work with and I have only talked to him once for over an hour!
      06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
kartracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe, 2017 M240ix

Yeah, I checked out their website and BSW. I was looking for someone local who has done an upgrade to pick their brain (and hear their system.

And I have the base stereo as stated in my original post.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

check with Kmarei over on the MidAtlantic M3post board. He's done a few upgrades to his cars.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Mach V Dan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I did. I put an MS-8, JL amps, Focal speakers in my E90. Custom sub box with a 10" sub in the back. Sounds pretty good, but if I were to do it again I'd just get a simple signal processor rather than the MS-8.

I had Chris Torney at CAS Designs do the install and the sub fabrication.

If you'd like to hear it, come by the shop during any business day. (Call first to make sure I'm here.)

--Dan
Mach V
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

I went with musicarnw and did the install myself. You can probably pull up my review with a search.

My car had a base stereo. It might have been the worst stock audio system I've ever heard. I'm really happy with the results. I did the install myself and it really isn't that difficult. The only issue I had was with the underseat subs. They were glued into the enclosures. I ended up prying them out with a screwdriver after trying to find a more delicate method.

I chose the Level I system and upgraded the front speakers and mid-subs. All told, I replaced the front door speakers, added front tweaters (my car didn't come with any), replaced the underseat subs, and added an equalizer and small amplifier in the trunk that's direct wired to the battery. OEM system didn't have an amplifier. I retained my OEM head unit and it functions normally.

I didn't have to remove the head unit at any time during the install. Basically it entailed removing the door panels to install the front speakers, unbolting the front seats to get to the underseat subs, and running cable from underseat subs to the trunk where the equalizer and amp is.

I really took my time and did the work over two days. It's worth a look and can save you money on an install.

If you went this way I wouldn't mind trying to answer any questions. If you weren't so far away from Alexandria I could show you in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
tmaung
CCA Member#: 439255
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Just check to make sure if it is a base stereo or hifi. Some 2010s have hifi as base. With hifi, everything is just plug and play. Hoping that the amps I've ordered is enough to satisfy me for a little while without me having to tear into the doors to replace the speakers. I am doing the Stage II upgrade in smaller stages. I would be more than happy to meet you somewhere in NoVA/DC area once I get my system installed (hopefully by the holiday weekend).
      06-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaung View Post
Just check to make sure if it is a base stereo or hifi. Some 2010s have hifi as base. With hifi, everything is just plug and play.
Right. If you don't have tweeters in the front, then you don't have the hi-fi system which also means you don't have an OEM amplifier. The base non-hifi system is horrendous.
Appreciate 0