E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Got Brake Squeal or Squeak?

06-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
NU//bmw
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Got Brake Squeal or Squeak?

**Disclaimer: This applies to people who have had brake pad sensors and pads replaced, glazing removed or have tried bedding in their brakes.

Do any of you still have the dreaded 335 rear brake squeal after the above fixes? Not sure if it's also endemic to the 328s as well. I was told it the result of worn pads and dusty brake sensors. My sensors and pads were replaced and I tried the bedding in process but these solutions have been short term fixes.

Another member may have actually found the most likely cause and a potential solution. For reference w/pics:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365

Cliff Notes: The brake shoes are rubbing against the dust shield. There are two fixes: 1) Applying grease to the contact points; 2). Bending the contact points back a bit.

Just thought I'd pass it along in case people are looking for alternative solutions.

Last edited by NU//bmw; 06-24-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
I think BMW has owned up to it, even providing TIS bulletins on it.

Some causes:

1) Brake pad sensor
2) the material the brakes are made of which makes them more prone to squealing
3) Glazing.

See attached TIS Bulletins for reference
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B 34 03 09.pdf (20.4 KB, 401 views)
File Type: pdf SI 34 90 98 Brake Squeal.pdf (53.7 KB, 141 views)
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 06-24-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Nightman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93

Garage List
I just brought my car into BMW of Sterling to have them take a look at it. They said they cleaned the sensor and the that fixed the issue, I got my car back but it's still squeaks and it's annoying the crap out of me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman
I just brought my car into BMW of Sterling to have them take a look at it. They said they cleaned the sensor and the that fixed the issue, I got my car back but it's still squeaks and it's annoying the crap out of me.
Try bedding your brakes in

It's worked for me in the past.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 06-24-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
NU//bmw
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
I think BMW has owned up to it, even providing TIS bulletins on it.

Some causes:

1) Brake pad sensor
2) the material the brakes are made of which makes them more prone to squealing
3) Glazing.

See attached TIS Bulletins for reference
Thanks for the info, but I had all of those TIS' done and I even tried bedding in my brakes. The number of people having this issue in the thread I posted, thankfully, tells me I'm not the only one.

I've done some more research and found some BMW SAs are addressing this new cause on a case by case basis. I'll give BMW of Sterling a shot.

I edited my post with your recommendations.

Last edited by NU//bmw; 06-24-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 F10 550xi

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
I had this problem for over 4 months, took my car multiple times to the dealer and got the same answers. After a lot of trial and error i played a little with the E brake because I use it all the time. I noticed every time I didn't use my E brake my squealing went away. Especially the squeal I was getting as I drove off after releasing my E brake.

Today my brother took my car out and set my E brake because he wasn't aware of the issue. When I got in the car and noticed the E brake was engaged I knew I was gonna get some squeal. After a month or so of not getting the brake squeal it all returned today. I am sure its the E brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Nightman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93

Garage List
I don't mean to thread jack but maybe someone can shed some light on this. I brought the car into the dealership for the brake squeal and they said that they wear sensor was just "dirty". They cleaned the wear sensor and didn't replace anything. Sure enough I get the car back and the car is still squealing. I call my SA and he says that they can't replace the brake pads and sensor because the brake pads are not below the point to where they can under the maintenance plan. The brake pads are at 9mm right now. If I'm looking at that bulletin correctly they should still replace them, shouldn't they? Or is it because I'm no longer under the new vehicle warranty and only under the certified and maintenance warranties?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 F10 550xi

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
I don't mean to thread jack but maybe someone can shed some light on this. I brought the car into the dealership for the brake squeal and they said that they wear sensor was just "dirty". They cleaned the wear sensor and didn't replace anything. Sure enough I get the car back and the car is still squealing. I call my SA and he says that they can't replace the brake pads and sensor because the brake pads are not below the point to where they can under the maintenance plan. The brake pads are at 9mm right now. If I'm looking at that bulletin correctly they should still replace them, shouldn't they? Or is it because I'm no longer under the new vehicle warranty and only under the certified and maintenance warranties?
They should
Appreciate 0