BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

07-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
Sean135i
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i Mpkg with Coral Red

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznm0nk3y View Post
Lots of drama over $35 bucks. Are you satisfied with the overall work? Your JB4 working alright? IMO just pay the $35 and be on with it. This is just one of those moments where 2 personalities clashed and a negative experience resulted.
+1
2003 Infiniti G35
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
JDUni1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)

Maybe people should actually pick up a phone and call someone once in a while! It's weird how productive an actual conversation is..... $35 is not a lot of flow, just pay up and move on!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUni1 View Post
Maybe people should actually pick up a phone and call someone once in a while! It's weird how productive an actual conversation is..... $35 is not a lot of flow, just pay up and move on!
I did 3-4 times, but no answer and left voicemail.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Yes you did. This is the txt Mike sent you are saying:

Mike: ya i can upgrade your jb3 and install the jb4. i wont charge you the upgrade fee but would need to charge for install.would be 205.00 cash, no tax if paying cash

Even if he says something before the price it doesn't matter because he states what the price is. As a third party with no bias towards either you or Mike, I see it like this: You didn't question him about the 205$ txt, you didn't ask if something was a typo. You just choose to be oblivious about it and schedule an appointment later and think that it would only cost 150$.

No where does Mike explicitly tell you that it will be 150$. Did Mike make a txt typo by telling you something was free? Maybe but it shouldn't matter because he included the actual price he had in mind and you didn't question it.
+1 I was pretty clear it was 205.00

Also my customer AGREED to paypal me the rest. So not sure what the confusion.

IMO Adrian doesn't feel my service was worth the price, which is fine as can't please everybody but if someone agrees to something and leaves and then decides you know what I don't think the price is fair anymore. I agreed to it but what the hell I don't think I have to pay.

Just doesn't seem right.

And Adrian the reason I posted this thread is I tried to resolve this with you through txt, phone calls for 2-weeks and I felt you had no intention of settling up. Which is obviously the case by your own admisission.

The other reason to post is to warn the community about you. What if you make a deal with someone for some used parts and decide to have the same feelings, or file a paypal charge back against a vendor because you think he didn't sell it for a fair price. These are all logical conclusions based on your own post and reasoning.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boss View Post
Hi fellow 1addict members,

I am the customer that Mike referred to.
I am actually pleasantly surprised you posted. To be frank I knew you had an account on here but didn't think you would.

I can apologize for not being clearer in my txt conversation with you but I said it was 205.00 for the install pretty clearly. Could I have reminded you before I started the work what the price was, yes and I guess thats my mistake but again the txt message was pretty clear as it laid out the EXACT price. You posted the whole conversation and a few members have commented it was clear so I guess you misunderstood.

Also if you think 55.00 to re-wire your unit and install it is too much thats fine but remember you agreed to square up the balance before you left so at that moment you were fine with it, unless of course you were just saying that so you could leave.

So just curious if you still intend to square up or no?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
I did not choose to believe it was $150. I was led to believe that and followed through with it due to what he said in that text response.
Pay the man and STFU. I'm totally with Mike on this one, FWIW.
      07-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
1Boss, just because you didn't feel it was a fair price does not mean you can go off and do as you please. This is penny pinching at it's finest

You chose to use his services. Just pay the man and move on with your life.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #30
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Agreed. Pay-up and move-on, there is no bearing for discussion unless if there is an actual quantifiable issue with the product and hence service in this case...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
JDUni1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmans View Post
Agreed. Pay-up and move-on, there is no bearing for discussion unless if there is an actual quantifiable issue with the product and hence service in this case...
This ^
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #32
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

Quote:
Mike makes it seem as if I had pulled a fast one on him, when in reality, I feel he has totally blown it out of proportion. I hope that you guys would give me a chance to tell my side of the story and take the time to hear me out.
First, you agreed to pay but then you ignored him for 2 weeks, what did you expect him to think about you?

Second, You had your chance to explain and now that ppl know your side of the story, they are still calling fault on you.

So, are we missing an apologize in here?

IMO, pay-up + apologize, and move-on
      07-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #33
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:

I am the customer that Mike referred to. Mike makes it seem as if I had pulled a fast one on him, when in reality, I feel he has totally blown it out of proportion. I hope that you guys would give me a chance to tell my side of the story and take the time to hear me out.

It all started when I purchased a used jb3 off another member and was asking around on where I could get it installed, as even after watching the instructional video, I did not feel comfortable doing it myself knowing that I am not too mechanically inclined and would probably screw something up with the pins. A friend of mine with a 335i mentioned to me that he had gotten his installed around a year ago off Mike for $20 (don't see why he would lie to me about that). I got a hold of Mike's contact, and shot over a few texts to him to try to inquire more information.

We exchanged a few texts:

[May 5, 2012]

Me: Hi, do you install jb3?

Mike: yes i do, what car do you drive?

Me: 135i

Mike: install is $55 and I am in mississauga (50 minute drive from my location without traffic)

Me: I hearsay it was $20?

(I thought, maybe he works out of a shop now to be charging $50?)

Me: $55 is too much, plus gas and time to mississauga. Ill pass, thanks.

(thinking, hmm I shall shop around!)

Mike: no problem, you should think about upgrading it to the jb4 before you install

Me: oh, why is that?

Mike: jb4 is smoother and has all the CAN steering wheel gauges and controls. the upgrade kit is $150, i could do it for you, i am the canadian distributor

Me: if i can purchase it off u, could u possibly help me with the install?

Mike: ya i can upgrade your jb3 and install the jb4. i wont charge you the upgrade fee but would need to charge for install.would be 205.00 cash, no tax if paying cash

(so here i was thinking: uhhhh he stated he is not charging me upgrade fee ($150) and would charge for install, so only $55 for upgrade AND install?!? I think he may have probably gotten it the other way around! Charge $150 for upgrade and he'll install it for me if more like it)

Me: ok i shall look into it some more. Thanks for your advice thus far!

A few weeks/month later (I thought oh well, might as well pay a little more and drive a longer drive to him, since he probably has the most experience in doing this task)

[June 18, 2012]

Me: hi mike, am i able to book an appointment with you next tues, june 26? I am looking to upgrade and install my jb3. Let me know, thanks.

Mike: Sure, just text me this weekend and we can figure out a time

Me: Sounds great, keep in touch

[June 24, 2012]

Me: hi mike, are we still good to meet on tuesday? around 12pm?

Mike: can't at 12. Can in the evening.

Me: When are you free? What is your location?

Mike: I am by the Dixie outlet mall. I just have to check what time my hockey game is.

Mike: Game is at 7:30 so earliest I can do is 9:00pm

Me: Hmmm reason I mentioned tues and around 12 is because it is my day off. Would weeknights typically be good for u? I figure you'll be exhausted tues after a full day and hockey

(I'm thinking, hmmm this guy still operates from his shop afterhours eh? Hard working fella!)

Mike: Ya weeknight are good. Tuesday is the worst day as I have hockey.

[June 25, 2012]

Me: Hi mike, sorry for being so sudden, but i was wondering if you were available later today?

Mike: Ya should be. Maybe 8:00pm?

Me: Sure, address please?

Mike: Meet at the Dixie outlet mall burger king parking lot. Text me when there.

(I'm thinking, uhhh $50 for a install at the side of burger king? Hmm i guess so??? He is, afterall, a knowledgable guy about N54)

Me: You are able to install in a parking lot?

Mike: Ya. My neighbour is a douche bag and doesnt like me working on cars so I do all my installs there.

(Hmmmm...)

Me: Ok, would 8:30 be okay? I'm coming from Richmond Hill

(Those who live around would know it is a pain to drive all the way to mississauga, with the possibly of unpredictable traffic)

Mike: That's too late

Me: Ok I'll see you around 8

Me: My apologies mike. I'm on my way almost there (traffic, I actually get there around 8:20ish)

We met up, he helped me upgrade the jb3 to jb4 and has all the parts apart. While everything was out, I remembered that I had DCIs but no couplers kicking around in my trunk. So I thought, oh what the hell, I'll see if I could get Mike to install those too while he is at it. He said he will charge $20 and he has extra couplers laying around for $15. Wow $20? This guy doesn't even operate out of a shop and he's charging these shop rates? I took $200 cash out from the ATM before we met up, so I thought okay, $150 for the upgrade and install, I could spare another $35.

It took Mike half an hour to upgrade and install the jb4, and an additional 7 minutes at max to install the DCI (thinking back, pretty impressive!). After all was said and done, Mike asks for $235. I was caught by surprise. All I had on me was the $200 cash which I just took out from the ATM (I usually only spend via credit card) and gave him the whole $200. He gave me an odd look and with hesitation, resorted to offering me to pay the remaining $35 via paypal.

[June 28]

Me: My paypal visa setup is outdated and I dont want to update it with my current card. (Bad experiences with paypal) Who do you bank with? You could give me the account number and i'll go deposit cash into it?

Mike: you can do interact email transfer to that email you have online banking?

(Paypal has fees, interac has fees, why can't you just let me deposit cash?)

Mike mentioned in his post that he noticed my attitude towards him when he was doing the work for me, and in a way he was right. I felt he was unprofessional - perhaps I was biased and expected too much from reading his posts, seeming all friendly and helpful with info. He seemed he might of been slightly aggravated that he had to wait for me? Found out later he lived literally a block away from there. After a few days, I still felt he was overrated, hence overpriced.

It depends on how you view it. Yes, one could say that I did have Mike provide a service for me, which is true, but it isn't like I didn't pay him for his time and service? $235 is just too much in my opinion, and if I honestly knew that was his actual asking price, I would have definitely done it elsewhere. $200 plus $20 gas there and back at a location of his convenience is a very acceptable amount I am willing to pay, respectfully considering his effort and time invested. I honestly thought the amount was $150+$35 from the way he first described the prices to me when trying to get me to upgrade and install. I'm sure Mike still has our text logs saved on his iphone. The texts I have shared are word for word how it was.

Sorry to say, but until this moment, I still do not fully wrap my head around as to why everyone vouches so much for Mike's "extraordinary" service. Yes, he is very knowledgable and shares a ton of info on here. Or perhaps he is great in ordering and shipping out parts, but after what I've witnessed and experienced for myself, in terms of actual face to face transactions, he isn't really up to all that hype in my opinion. If my local friends mention, Mike@N54tuning does not get a recommendation from me. Sorry.

And to make an individual thread like this? Seriously Mike?
you have basically written a bunch of text for no reason. The tab was 235 and you only paid 200 and complained about paying the 35 because you thought his rates were too high lol, and didnt want to drive from richmond hill? - so to save $35 (1/2 tank of gas basically) you ripped him off? Wow - thank god I didnt have to deal with people like you when I was parting out my 335... I would not have been as nice as Mike - glad Mike posted this up so members avoid doing transactions with a cheapskate like yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #34
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Pay the man and STFU. I'm totally with Mike on this one, FWIW.
+1 Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
1Boss, just because you didn't feel it was a fair price does not mean you can go off and do as you please. This is penny pinching at it's finest

You chose to use his services. Just pay the man and move on with your life.
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
First, you agreed to pay but then you ignored him for 2 weeks, what did you expect him to think about you?

Second, You had your chance to explain and now that ppl know your side of the story, they are still calling fault on you.

So, are we missing an apologize in here?

IMO, pay-up + apologize, and move-on
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
you have basically written a bunch of text for no reason. The tab was 235 and you only paid 200 and complained about paying the 35 because you thought his rates were too high lol, and didnt want to drive from richmond hill? - so to save $35 (1/2 tank of gas basically) you ripped him off? Wow - thank god I didnt have to deal with people like you when I was parting out my 335... I would not have been as nice as Mike - glad Mike posted this up so members avoid doing transactions with a cheapskate like yourself.
I am glad as well!

@1BOSS I post a thread on e90post about Mike services, and he does go beyond what he has to, it is all about customer service, plus you AGREED to pay up before you you left, so PAY THE MAN! How hard is it to do that, or send a text and explain why you can't afford the difference, even tough you said you will pay him. If it was a good reason I am positive Mike would understand.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #35
leungsta
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / Cayenne GTS / Model 3

What an idiot lol....basically he's throwing away his reputation off of e90post and 1addict for $35.

I sure as hell would never do any business with a guy like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #36
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
It's clear that 1boss is confused about the labour and parts involved. Funny thing is, when you're confused you ask questions, you don't assume.

You learn that shit in preschool man. You just made and ass of yourself and him.....

He should have clarified final price prior to wasting Mike's time. Period.

And the worst part is, you go on to rant about how overpriced he is for the service he's providing...well guess what buddy, you let him work on your car and he clearly told you the price again at install per your post.

And complaining about fees? F'n rly!? An email money transfer is $1.50.

Get over it! Pay the man, apologize and stop looking like such an ass cuz your ruining your other members images.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #37
hamo26
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Mike, what did you mean when you stated: "I won't charge for the upgrade fee"?
      07-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #38
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamo26 View Post
Mike, what did you mean when you stated: "I won't charge for the upgrade fee"?
There is a 20.00 charge for upgrading the JB3, which both BMS and myself charge customers to re-wire the JB3 into a JB4.

Upgrading the JB3 (rewiring) and installing are two separate things, and I usually waive the upgrade fee when I am installing the unit.

For example we have had a lot of customers send in their JB3s to get upgraded to a JB4 and we charge 20.00 for that service and then mail the upgraded "JB4" back to them.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Wow if mikes prices arent good enough and ur complaining about a 1.50 charge maybe a BMW wasn't a wise choice for u! Not to forget the gas money too!!!

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #40
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean135i View Post
+1
+100
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #41
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List

i think mike's gonna with by tko
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #43
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
Quote:

I am the customer that Mike referred to. Mike makes it seem as if I had pulled a fast one on him, when in reality, I feel he has totally blown it out of proportion. I hope that you guys would give me a chance to tell my side of the story and take the time to hear me out.

It all started when I purchased a used jb3 off another member and was asking around on where I could get it installed, as even after watching the instructional video, I did not feel comfortable doing it myself knowing that I am not too mechanically inclined and would probably screw something up with the pins. A friend of mine with a 335i mentioned to me that he had gotten his installed around a year ago off Mike for $20 (don't see why he would lie to me about that). I got a hold of Mike's contact, and shot over a few texts to him to try to inquire more information.

We exchanged a few texts:

[May 5, 2012]

Me: Hi, do you install jb3?

Mike: yes i do, what car do you drive?

Me: 135i

Mike: install is $55 and I am in mississauga (50 minute drive from my location without traffic)

Me: I hearsay it was $20?

(I thought, maybe he works out of a shop now to be charging $50?)

Me: $55 is too much, plus gas and time to mississauga. Ill pass, thanks.

(thinking, hmm I shall shop around!)

Mike: no problem, you should think about upgrading it to the jb4 before you install

Me: oh, why is that?

Mike: jb4 is smoother and has all the CAN steering wheel gauges and controls. the upgrade kit is $150, i could do it for you, i am the canadian distributor

Me: if i can purchase it off u, could u possibly help me with the install?

(so here i was thinking: uhhhh he stated he is not charging me upgrade fee ($150) and would charge for install, so only $55 for upgrade AND install?!? I think he may have probably gotten it the other way around! Charge $150 for upgrade and he'll install it for me if more like it)

Me: ok i shall look into it some more. Thanks for your advice thus far!

A few weeks/month later (I thought oh well, might as well pay a little more and drive a longer drive to him, since he probably has the most experience in doing this task)

[June 18, 2012]

Me: hi mike, am i able to book an appointment with you next tues, june 26? I am looking to upgrade and install my jb3. Let me know, thanks.

Mike: Sure, just text me this weekend and we can figure out a time

Me: Sounds great, keep in touch

[June 24, 2012]

Me: hi mike, are we still good to meet on tuesday? around 12pm?

Mike: can't at 12. Can in the evening.

Me: When are you free? What is your location?

Mike: I am by the Dixie outlet mall. I just have to check what time my hockey game is.

Mike: Game is at 7:30 so earliest I can do is 9:00pm

Me: Hmmm reason I mentioned tues and around 12 is because it is my day off. Would weeknights typically be good for u? I figure you'll be exhausted tues after a full day and hockey

(I'm thinking, hmmm this guy still operates from his shop afterhours eh? Hard working fella!)

Mike: Ya weeknight are good. Tuesday is the worst day as I have hockey.

[June 25, 2012]

Me: Hi mike, sorry for being so sudden, but i was wondering if you were available later today?

Mike: Ya should be. Maybe 8:00pm?

Me: Sure, address please?

Mike: Meet at the Dixie outlet mall burger king parking lot. Text me when there.

(I'm thinking, uhhh $50 for a install at the side of burger king? Hmm i guess so??? He is, afterall, a knowledgable guy about N54)

Me: You are able to install in a parking lot?

Mike: Ya. My neighbour is a douche bag and doesnt like me working on cars so I do all my installs there.

(Hmmmm...)

Me: Ok, would 8:30 be okay? I'm coming from Richmond Hill

(Those who live around would know it is a pain to drive all the way to mississauga, with the possibly of unpredictable traffic)

Mike: That's too late

Me: Ok I'll see you around 8

Me: My apologies mike. I'm on my way almost there (traffic, I actually get there around 8:20ish)

We met up, he helped me upgrade the jb3 to jb4 and has all the parts apart. While everything was out, I remembered that I had DCIs but no couplers kicking around in my trunk. So I thought, oh what the hell, I'll see if I could get Mike to install those too while he is at it. He said he will charge $20 and he has extra couplers laying around for $15. Wow $20? This guy doesn't even operate out of a shop and he's charging these shop rates? I took $200 cash out from the ATM before we met up, so I thought okay, $150 for the upgrade and install, I could spare another $35.

It took Mike half an hour to upgrade and install the jb4, and an additional 7 minutes at max to install the DCI (thinking back, pretty impressive!). After all was said and done, Mike asks for $235. I was caught by surprise. All I had on me was the $200 cash which I just took out from the ATM (I usually only spend via credit card) and gave him the whole $200. He gave me an odd look and with hesitation, resorted to offering me to pay the remaining $35 via paypal.

[June 28]

Me: My paypal visa setup is outdated and I dont want to update it with my current card. (Bad experiences with paypal) Who do you bank with? You could give me the account number and i'll go deposit cash into it?

Mike: you can do interact email transfer to that email you have online banking?

(Paypal has fees, interac has fees, why can't you just let me deposit cash?)

Mike mentioned in his post that he noticed my attitude towards him when he was doing the work for me, and in a way he was right. I felt he was unprofessional - perhaps I was biased and expected too much from reading his posts, seeming all friendly and helpful with info. He seemed he might of been slightly aggravated that he had to wait for me? Found out later he lived literally a block away from there. After a few days, I still felt he was overrated, hence overpriced.

It depends on how you view it. Yes, one could say that I did have Mike provide a service for me, which is true, but it isn't like I didn't pay him for his time and service? $235 is just too much in my opinion, and if I honestly knew that was his actual asking price, I would have definitely done it elsewhere. $200 plus $20 gas there and back at a location of his convenience is a very acceptable amount I am willing to pay, respectfully considering his effort and time invested. I honestly thought the amount was $150+$35 from the way he first described the prices to me when trying to get me to upgrade and install. I'm sure Mike still has our text logs saved on his iphone. The texts I have shared are word for word how it was.

Sorry to say, but until this moment, I still do not fully wrap my head around as to why everyone vouches so much for Mike's "extraordinary" service. Yes, he is very knowledgable and shares a ton of info on here. Or perhaps he is great in ordering and shipping out parts, but after what I've witnessed and experienced for myself, in terms of actual face to face transactions, he isn't really up to all that hype in my opinion. If my local friends mention, Mike@N54tuning does not get a recommendation from me. Sorry.

And to make an individual thread like this? Seriously Mike?

lol so since mike installed your DCI in 7 minutes correct? so since he did it so fast you shouldnt pay him 35 dollars and ignore him for 2 weeks? this is what happens what else is he left to do? seriously adrian? haha maybe you should buy a beater if 35 dollars is THAT MUCH lol
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #44
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IS View Post
lol so since mike installed your DCI in 7 minutes correct? so since he did it so fast you shouldnt pay him 35 dollars and ignore him for 2 weeks? this is what happens what else is he left to do? seriously adrian? haha maybe you should buy a beater if 35 dollars is THAT MUCH lol
+1
Closed Thread