E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trouble with Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) - help needed

09-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
rgoel
Rep
Drives: None

Trouble with Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) - help needed

I drove my e92 coupe (5K miles) last night and parked it in my garage - no suspected issues.

This morning, I turned it on and was greeted by the Flat Tire Monitor / Tire Pressure Monitor warning. I had both the small yellow light with the tire and exclamation point and the large red light. Per my manual, this could mean either a flat tire or substantial loss of tire pressure.

I drove down to the gas station and checked my tire pressures. All four tires were exactly where they should be.

No problem, I thought all i need to do is reset the system. I crack open the manual and it appears there are two resets that are needed:
1) Reset Tire Press Monitor (TPM) by toggling through the menu to RESET and then selecting reset.
2) Reset Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) by toggling through the menu to INIT and then selecting reset.

I successfully did #1. However, I wasn't able to do #2. The INIT listing does not appear in my menu. There doesn't appear to be any way to reset the FTM.

Anybody else have this problem? Any thoughts on what I should do to fix this? As far as I can tell my tire pressures are all fine but the warning message won't go away. At this point, i've done the TPM (RESET) reset a couple of times now but without success. Any why is the INIT option not in my menu? Perhaps I don't have the FTM system, though I did get the 335 coupe with premium and sports packages, so I think it's in one of those two.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

You have either TPM or FTM, not both. Since you have TPM and have already reset it, there is nothing left to be done. Just keep an eye on it.

P.S. You should always keep a digital tire pressure gauge in the car especially with runflats. You cannot tell whether your are just low in air or actually have a flat by just looking at the tires.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
MestUpKid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
When you hit the reset button did you hold it until it says "Resetting" and then drive the car?
      09-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
rgoel
Rep

One time I pressed the Reset button for one second. Then the box next to Reset showed a check mark in it.

The second time I pressed the Reset button for five seconds (manual states five seconds). Again the box next to Reset then showed a check mark on it.

I did not know that it's either/or with TPM/FTM. I guess in that case it's a sensor malfunction of some sort? I suppose it will need to go to the dealer for checking?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
MestUpKid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
After the check mark comes up drive the car and it the warning should go away. It needs to see wheel speed to intialize the FTM.
      09-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #6
rgoel
Rep

yah so for the wheel speed hasn't worked. i've driven it 10 miles or so after reseting and the warning message has not gone away. turned the car on/off a couple of times as well.

maybe a trip to the dealer is required.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
AwLegacyGT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
You have either TPM or FTM, not both. Since you have TPM and have already reset it, there is nothing left to be done. Just keep an eye on it.

P.S. You should always keep a digital tire pressure gauge in the car especially with runflats. You cannot tell whether your are just low in air or actually have a flat by just looking at the tires.
Just wondering why you suggest a digital tire pressure. Is the manual ones with the slider bar not adequate?

Not being an a$$ just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
rgoel
Rep

Well, I found the source of the problem and it is me, not the BMW!!

I was using the air pressure gauge on my local gas station's are refilling hose. Apparently, that gauge is not very accurate. My dad brought over his $8 gauge (analog not digital) and it showed that the gas station gauge is about 5 PSIs under normal. 35 at the gas station showed as 30 on my father's. I inflated based on my father's gauge, reset the TPM system, and now the warning has been turned off.

lesson learned - get a decent air pressure gauge as the previous poster had suggested.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 01:21 AM   #9
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoel View Post
Well, I found the source of the problem and it is me, not the BMW!!

I was using the air pressure gauge on my local gas station's are refilling hose. Apparently, that gauge is not very accurate. My dad brought over his $8 gauge (analog not digital) and it showed that the gas station gauge is about 5 PSIs under normal. 35 at the gas station showed as 30 on my father's. I inflated based on my father's gauge, reset the TPM system, and now the warning has been turned off.

lesson learned - get a decent air pressure gauge as the previous poster had suggested.
i thought this was common knowledge, no offense, least you know now
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
myn
Rep
Drives: BMW

My FTM came on this morning as well.

I stopped by the dealer and they verified my tire pressure. He also stated there was a recal for the tire pressure monitors and that I could schedule a service if I wanted to.

Can anyone else confirm this recall?
Appreciate 0