BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
145
Rep
2,683
Posts

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Sweet mother..."1M" with an S85 V10

This may be old news but I found this on another forum.

I don't know how they got it to fit, but someone stuffed an S85 into a 123d 1M conversion with the SMG transmission... It apparently cost $26,000 for just the engine and transmission swap although I'm not sure if that includes the engine and transmission supply.

In increase of 130kg over stock, from 1500kg to 1630kg (though that may be over a stock 123d rather than an N54 equipped car). 0-62 of 4.2s.

I don't know how it drives and it's no faster than an FBO N54 with tune and meth, but oh I'd love to give it a try just for the kicks and for the noise...
Attached Images
       
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
ansch
Captain
Australia
28
Rep
644
Posts

Drives: SGM 135i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (1)

have seen vids before

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
drjekl
Captain
28
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Always love the wail of a NA V10!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
145
Rep
2,683
Posts

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch
have seen vids before

Hmmm it needs to sound better IMO. I don't know why, but the S85 sounds like a tractor's diesel engine when stock. With some aftermarket exhausts it sounds absolutely epic though.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Morgs32
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Agree it needs a different exhaust, and it isn't the most practical conversion nor the fastest way to do it, but I absolutely love everything this thing stands for
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
350
Rep
9,170
Posts

Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Amazing
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
VMA-1511
Private
Australia
4
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 125i E88
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Listening to the up shifts it sounds miles behind a DCT. Still a great conversion tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
224
Posts

Drives: BMW e87 120i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMA-1511 View Post
Listening to the up shifts it sounds miles behind a DCT. Still a great conversion tho.
Thats because its a SMG older technology maybe. DCT = 2 Gearboxes one with odd gears one with even gears working together. SMG = Pretty much a manual gear box with an electronic clutch.

Still prefer the old style 3 pedal set up even though they are slower then these new automatics. Great amount of work put into that build impressive.

Edit: Another impressive build V10 Z3 M Coupe
__________________
'08 E91 BMW 335i M-Sport '


Last edited by GJA003; 04-10-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

That must ruin the weight distribution

Though it is bonkers.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
145
Rep
2,683
Posts

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

I wonder if its possible to keep the standard 6 speed. I'm sure it can handle the power and the torque of the S85 easily if it can handle high powered N54s
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
eriktufa
3r1k
eriktufa's Avatar
Australia
23
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I wonder if its possible to keep the standard 6 speed. I'm sure it can handle the power and the torque of the S85 easily if it can handle high powered N54s
Most or 95% of M5 are equipped with SMG III. I think you can only get manual M5 in states.
__________________
12.836 @ 109.75mph (Cobb - Accessport & VRSF DP)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktufa View Post
Most or 95% of M5 are equipped with SMG III. I think you can only get manual M5 in states.
Yep, and thats only because the BMW CCA lobbied the crap out of BMW.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
VMA-1511
Private
Australia
4
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 125i E88
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJA003 View Post
Thats because its a SMG older technology maybe. DCT = 2 Gearboxes one with odd gears one with even gears working together. SMG = Pretty much a manual gear box with an electronic clutch.

Still prefer the old style 3 pedal set up even though they are slower then these new automatics. Great amount of work put into that build impressive.

Edit: Another impressive build V10 Z3 M Coupe
Yeah your right. Im yet to drive a manual but looking at the way you drive your car I'm sure its the most fun
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
flinchy
Brigadier General
98
Rep
3,080
Posts

Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
This may be old news but I found this on another forum.

In increase of 130kg over stock, from 1500kg to 1630kg (though that may be over a stock 123d rather than an N54 equipped car). 0-62 of 4.2s.
pic 4... interesting to see they got the exhaust around the right, normally there's an (i believe) evap canister about there... cool to know it's possible to do a twin pipe exhaust though!

awesome AWESOME conversion :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I don't know how they got it to fit, but someone stuffed an S85 into a 123d 1M conversion with the SMG transmission... It apparently cost $26,000 for just the engine and transmission swap although I'm not sure if that includes the engine and transmission supply.

I don't know how it drives and it's no faster than an FBO N54 with tune and meth, but oh I'd love to give it a try just for the kicks and for the noise...
no reason it wouldn't fit? the S65 fits, and the S85 is still shorter than the N54, and probably about as wide as the S65? unless there's some big parts that could have required some cutting and welding?

$26k very well could have been just the engine... i know you can get S65's in europe/UK for about 10-12k, the gearbox is a bit on top of that... if they got a bargain though, $26k fully swapped in .. yeah i could believe it.. that's $10k (potentially) for driveshaft/fabrication etc.

can an FBO N54 hit ~320km/h? gearing wise on stock tires puts an N54 with 3.08 FD at about 300km/h even? ED: oh maybe calculated it wrong, dead on 320 @ 7000rpm.
still, would it even make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Hmmm it needs to sound better IMO. I don't know why, but the S85 sounds like a tractor's diesel engine when stock. With some aftermarket exhausts it sounds absolutely epic though.
i'm going to take a stab and assume it sounds better (induction wise) in person

i've heard other videos (never in real life ) that sound less tractorish.

Last edited by flinchy; 04-11-2013 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
44
Rep
968
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Amazing
+1

speechless!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
55
Rep
853
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

Seriously contemplating doing something like this.

S63 would be the bees knees if it would fit. 4.4l twin turbo V8 with dct in an e82 1 series.....now we are talking! Could blow the doors off any bogan barge.

I am thinking I might give the 135i to my wife and take back the 125i, ditch the N52 and put in the s63. Would need the DCT and another e92 subframe and diff but that would be a pretty awesome 10 second street car. In fact I am pretty certain the e60 M5 rear end would fit as well, but with a taller ratio - 3.6x to the M3 3.85.

Would need a power dome bonnet, quad exhaust and a 116i badge on the back.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
drjekl
Captain
28
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Seriously contemplating doing something like this.

S63 would be the bees knees if it would fit. 4.4l twin turbo V8 with dct in an e82 1 series.....now we are talking! Could blow the doors off any bogan barge.

I am thinking I might give the 135i to my wife and take back the 125i, ditch the N52 and put in the s63. Would need the DCT and another e92 subframe and diff but that would be a pretty awesome 10 second street car. In fact I am pretty certain the e60 M5 rear end would fit as well, but with a taller ratio - 3.6x to the M3 3.85.

Would need a power dome bonnet, quad exhaust and a 116i badge on the back.
What do you reckon it would cost to build such a monster?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #18
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
145
Rep
2,683
Posts

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
What do you reckon it would cost to build such a monster?
Getting the S63 and DCT box would be the hard part I reckon. Can't be too many wrecked F10 M5s out there yet where the engine is salvageable.

Also, I'm not sure if you could put down that much power to make it a 10s street car without some serious rubber in the rear. What size tyres are the M5 and M6s running?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #19
drjekl
Captain
28
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Getting the S63 and DCT box would be the hard part I reckon. Can't be too many wrecked F10 M5s out there yet where the engine is salvageable.

Also, I'm not sure if you could put down that much power to make it a 10s street car without some serious rubber in the rear. What size tyres are the M5 and M6s running?
It certainly wouldnt be a weekend job thats for sure!

I know the M6 is running a 265 up front (what im running on the rear!) and a 295 rear!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #20
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
145
Rep
2,683
Posts

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
It certainly wouldnt be a weekend job thats for sure!

I know the M6 is running a 265 up front (what im running on the rear!) and a 295 rear!
I guess with some drag radials it might be possible to get into the 10s but the DCTs don't seem to fare too well at the strip with their launch control if there's so much power to the rear wheels. There'll be a lot of factors that will come into play like less weight over the rear wheels for traction, reduced wheel width etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #21
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
55
Rep
853
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
What do you reckon it would cost to build such a monster?
A lot!!

But it would be worth it. I cant be bothered getting emotionally invested in another car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Getting the S63 and DCT box would be the hard part I reckon. Can't be too many wrecked F10 M5s out there yet where the engine is salvageable.

Also, I'm not sure if you could put down that much power to make it a 10s street car without some serious rubber in the rear. What size tyres are the M5 and M6s running?
I can get a S63 minus DCT yet inclusive of shipping for $18,000. I would need to pay maybe $5k for the DCT. Another $5k for the rear subframe + diff. The most expensive & difficult bit would be the harness and putting it all together.

As far as getting that power down hmmmmm apex arc-8 can run a 275, maybe 265 r888s. The M Diff and subframe does a great job as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
98
Rep
3,080
Posts

Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
What do you reckon it would cost to build such a monster?
$20k in engine and box alone?

>_<

ED: minimum.

Last edited by flinchy; 05-12-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST