E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door randomly won't open w/o physical key (FOB still works) Help!

05-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Door randomly won't open w/o physical key (FOB still works) Help!

I've been having a random problem with my car, I am not sure at all what the problem is though... My car is an 09 E90 sedan. No comfort access.

Sometimes the door acts wonky and does not open with the fob. By that I mean I can hear the door "trying" to open when I hit the unlock button, but it just doesn't. So I have to go inside the car with the physical key start the car and unlock it, start the car, then press the center unlock button to unlock the rest of the doors.

Any ideas what is going on? I want to get an idea of the problem so I can explain in detail to get some warranty work done.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Power door lock actuator is failing or you need to replace the fuse for the door locks with a higher amperage one. Both were/are issues with our cars.

Other than that it sort of sounds like maybe it doesn't have enough juice to unlock until you start the car, maybe a battery issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
Power door lock actuator is failing or you need to replace the fuse for the door locks with a higher amperage one. Both were/are issues with our cars.

Other than that it sort of sounds like maybe it doesn't have enough juice to unlock until you start the car, maybe a battery issue.
True, my '07 e90 did this to me last Saturday, still had CPO warranty and was covered. Dealer replaced door actuators for the front, fuse replaced from 15amp to 20amp. This was on the service bulletin as well so the tech's will have info to back this up. $150 for the locks, $11 for the fuse I think it was, labor I dunno if this was out of warranty. Car battery voltage at the dealer was 13.

Take it to the SA Justin out of Stevens Creek or Nick out of Fremont, both are good guys.
Appreciate 0