E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bavarian Technic Logs of Vishnu OFT Stg1

08-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Bavarian Technic Logs of Vishnu OFT Stg1

I'm posting this because in the interest of the community and the hopes that the open source tuning will develop. I loaded Vishnu's OTS Stg1 logs on my 07 e93. My car is totally stock other than the tune but only has 27K miles on it. The turbos have been replaced so they're only ~9K old.
Here's a log from the Stg1 file:
Name:  ShivStg1OTSlog081613.png
Views: 1967
Size:  71.7 KB
I'm logging with the BT tool over the CANBUS so it can get noisy in the top end and show up on the logs. The important thing to see here is the low timing and numerous drops. This is on 93 octane, is a 3rd gear pull, on a 75 deg day with oil temps in the 190s.
I edited the ignition advance tables from the stg 1 file:
Name:  stg1 load and ign tables.png
Views: 2173
Size:  69.6 KB

to the this:
Name:  Ign_table_JJmodsg1081613.png
Views: 1865
Size:  50.6 KB

The result is much more to my liking.

Name:  logs081613.png
Views: 1861
Size:  114.9 KB

Clearly there is boost overshoot causing throttle closure so I'm editing the WGDC table now. More logs to come.

Disclaimer: I am not using the Open Flash Tablet for this. I am using the free open source flash software and a bavarian technic cable. I don't have a procede so I have to log with the BT sw. I believe fully that there is no difference in the flashing that the free sw does vs. the OFT but in the interest of full disclosure I'm including the information.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Have you tried flashing an OpenFlash Tablet map with an actual OpenFlash Tablet?

Right in the OTS map download link on our website, it says:

"Off-The-Shelf (OTS) Maps v1.02
These are definition files. Each DME software version requires a unique one. When using TunerPro to edit your map, you will also need to select the appropriate XDF file. Currently only available for IJEOS, IJCOS and I8AOS DME software versions. Only for use with OpenFlash Tablet."
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
boom
United_States
Rep

Everything looks fine in TunerPro from your xdf files. I've looked at all of them and flashed a couple of local's cars. They "feel" fine but the logs were troubling. Editing in TunerPro resulted in predictable changes.

Is there stuff in the xdf file that is not viewable in Tunerpro? Does the Tablet modify the file as viewed in TunerPro prior to flashing to the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Everything looks fine in TunerPro from your xdf files. I've looked at all of them and flashed a couple of local's cars. They "feel" fine but the logs were troubling. Editing in TunerPro resulted in predictable changes.

Is there stuff in the xdf file that is not viewable in Tunerpro? Does the Tablet modify the file as viewed in TunerPro prior to flashing to the car?
Perhaps there is a reason that I recommend using the OpenFlash Tablet maps only with the OpenFlash tablet.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Ha...nice try.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Perhaps there is a reason that I recommend using the OpenFlash Tablet maps only with the OpenFlash tablet.

Shiv
Maybe. Still haven't seen any logs of the tune with anything other than a Procede....

Not exactly "open source" then is it????
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe. Still haven't seen any logs of the tune with anything other than a Procede....

With all due respect, are you actually reading all the recent OpenFlash Tablet datalog threads? All datalogging is done natively in the Tablet. No Procede involved. However, we are using the same datalog viewing software as the Procede but that's only because it's quite good and a whole lot better than plotting it in Excel. Perhaps that is why you are confused. This video tutorial which I posted up a few days ago may help:

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

You need to read carefully.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What I also find funny (and slightly depressing) is hearing that other tuners are asking OpenFlash users to upload certain ROMs into their DME. Only thing is that these tuners don't patch the data from the users original ROM. Instead they supply a completely ROM that comes from another car. Either they are purposely trying to brick OpenFlash user cars OR they don't understand the importance of just editing map data and not swapping VIN data and other markers that aren't tune related. It's a dirty world out there and this is just one example of what people do when they want to be jerks.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Boom, that point has been conceded long ago. No need to beat a dead horse:

July 3rd, 2013 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombinhood@OpenFlash View Post
I also believe that the term "open source" is bothering some people who feel that it misrepresents the nature of this product. I do not want to get into any conflict with anything, on any forum, about anything. So I will erase any references to "open source" just to keep things peaceful. The name of the product will still remain "OpenFlash" simply because the ROM editing process is just that, open (ie, not encrypted).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
What I also find funny (and slightly depressing) is hearing that other tuners are asking OpenFlash users to upload certain ROMs into their DME. Only thing is that these tuners don't patch the data from the users original ROM. Instead they supply a completely ROM that comes from another car. Either they are purposely trying to brick OpenFlash user cars OR they don't understand the importance of just editing map data and not swapping VIN data and other markers that aren't tune related. It's a dirty world out there and this is just one example of what people do when they want to be jerks.

Shiv

shrug, im running a canned BIN from another car for the JB4 flash and I have no missing functionality or identifying information.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Shiv
That is scary. When I have flashed people, I've spent the hour reading their rom before patching the xdf to their original rom.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Quote:

Shiv
Why?
      08-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

on topic, I really hope throttle mapping tables will be defined soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

OP maybe the tablet is making super secret tuning changes during the write process, maybe its logging is not accurate, or just maybe your timing advance is cranked up too high for pump gas with the off the shelf maps. I tested them out and the mapping seems OK for my car. Some drops but not a lot on my FBO. I just could not get over the 16-17psi at 50% throttle input thing. For me the throttle was very unsettling and made the car somewhat uncontrollable. A TunerPro video for how to fix that would be a good idea. There was also no top end pull on the maps.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
OP maybe the tablet is making super secret tuning changes during the write process, maybe its logging is not accurate, or just maybe your timing advance is cranked up too high for pump gas with the off the shelf maps. I tested them out and the mapping seems OK for my car. Some drops but not a lot on my FBO. I just could not get over the 16-17psi at 50% throttle input thing. For me the throttle was very unsettling and made the car somewhat uncontrollable. A TunerPro video for how to fix that would be a good idea. There was also no top end pull on the maps.

Mike

super secret tuning changes? lol, what would happen if someone actually edited maps themselves and loaded them through OFT? magic?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:

Shiv
Are you going to tell us what that reason is?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
What I also find funny (and slightly depressing) is hearing that other tuners are asking OpenFlash users to upload certain ROMs into their DME. Only thing is that these tuners don't patch the data from the users original ROM. Instead they supply a completely ROM that comes from another car. Either they are purposely trying to brick OpenFlash user cars OR they don't understand the importance of just editing map data and not swapping VIN data and other markers that aren't tune related.
Define Brick for me. As in, DME is not functional without extra measures taken or unrecoverable? Because thats what brick means in the rest of the world. The DME becomes a paperweight. Or do you really mean as in, not optimal? Because even if you mange to get the wrong rom flashed to a car, you can always reflash it. Will the car operate properly? If its actually the wrong ROM and version, then probably not. I don't think anyone expects it to work properly. Instead of using scare tactics to deter sharing of maps, which honestly could be a very positive thing for this community if done correctly, what you should have said is that a flashed rom from the wrong car is unhealthy and potentially dangerous to the car. Has nothing to do with the functionality of the DME. As you should know, the Rom needs to be validated by the DME before the car will even attempt to start, not to mention do any real damage to the DME. The only way to really brick a DME is by flashing the wrong areas of memory in the DME like over writing the vehicle order as an example. And that is something that the ROM or tune file has absolutely no control of. Where that rom data is written is up to the flasher, not the data itself. Lets be factual with your word choice.

I find it sad, and a bit depressing as well that you don't know this. Pretty embarrassing actually.

Also, please show me where in a stock rom that the VIN is hard coded into the Data Flash area of the ROM, you know, where all the tuning happens. If the Open Flash tablet does this in a non-standard way, and flashes other areas outside of the Program and Data flash memory locations, then thats a disability of the hardware or algorithm and would be disappointing to have that limitation.

EDIT: As a side note, I would never advise or condone putting a tune on a vehicle that was not specifically designed for it. By any tuner or any car. Ever. Mostly for ethical, emission legality and health of the engine reasons.

Last edited by klipseracer; 08-16-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Define Brick for me. As in, DME is not functional without extra measures taken or unrecoverable? Because thats what brick means in the rest of the world. The DME becomes a paperweight. Or do you really mean as in, not optimal? Because even if you mange to get the wrong rom flashed to a car, you can always reflash it. Will the car operate properly? If its actually the wrong ROM and version, the probably not. I don't think anyone expects it to work properly. Instead of using a scare tactics, what you should have said is that a flashed rom from the wrong car is unhealthy and potentially dangerous to the car. Has nothing to do with the functionality of the DME. As you should know, the Rom needs to be validated by the DME before the car will even attempt to start, not to mention do any real damage to the DME. The only way to really brick a DME is by flashing the wrong areas of memory in the DME like over writing the vehicle order as an example. And that is something that the ROM or tune has absolutely no control of. Where that rom data is written is up to the flasher, not the data itself. Lets be factual with your word choice.

I find it sad, and a bit depressing as well that you don't know this. Pretty embarrassing actually.

Also, please show me where in a stock rom that the VIN is hard coded into the Data Flash area of the ROM, you know, where all the tuning happens. If the Open Flash tablet does this in a non-standard way, and flashes other areas outside of the Program and Data flash memory locations, then thats a disability of the hardware or algorithm and would be disappointing to have that limitation.

EDIT: As a side note, I would never advise or condone putting a tune on a vehicle that was not specifically designed for it. By any tuner or any car. Ever. Mostly for ethical, emission legality and health of the engine reasons.
Quoted for the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quoted for the future.
I've made a couple changes typo etc, you may want to quote again.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Quoted for the future.
That is not much of a response. If he is incorrect in his statement please point out those areas that are troublesome so us less technical readers will understand where you are coming from.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Also I am looking for an answer. I have personally not looked into the bin files very much, you said you flash VIN numbers, where exactly is that vin number inside of that 2 megabyte rom? Its exactly two megabytes and that is comprised of the DAF and PAF. I actually don't know if it is located there in a stock rom or not, so I'm asking you? I don't think it is although I haven't personally looked and could be absolutely wrong. But since you mention it, could you show me what offset that is located at?
Appreciate 0