E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AMS intercooler and COBB

05-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Snownsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI

AMS intercooler and COBB

Hey guys. I made a thread a month or two ago looking for some advice on down pipes and FMIC's. I ended up getting the AMS intercooler (was on sale) got it installed and loaded up COBB aggressive 1 + FMIC. Car feels great! It feels like it keeps pulling from low rpm's up to mid rpm's. Is that supposed to be the difference? The pulling feeling you get mid range 4000ish? overall I'm happy with the mod and now I'm waiting for my BMS dual intake which is on back order for a week and a half cause I didn't want the red one lol. I'm thinking of postponing getting down pipes for a while. Was turned off by the potential smell and change of sound. So now I'm thinking of a pro tune, what kinda gains would I expect from a 2008 335xi auto tranny with the AMS FMIC, DCI and 94 octane fuel?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
BlackBB6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
The difference you are feeling is from the tune, intercooler is keeping things happier to support it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
lfelunden
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
When you get downpipes that's when you feel a difference!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Snownsurf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBB6 View Post
The difference you are feeling is from the tune, intercooler is keeping things happier to support it.
Ive been running aggressive stage 1 for a year or so but it seemed to taper off sooner than the stage 1 plus. Either way it's a great feeling. Can anyone who's had a pro tune chime in on the difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Snownsurf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden View Post
What kinda difference? I'd have to go with catted pipes. Not wanted the hassle of catless. Odour and having to worry bout emission's test
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownsurf View Post
Ive been running aggressive stage 1 for a year or so but it seemed to taper off sooner than the stage 1 plus. Either way it's a great feeling. Can anyone who's had a pro tune chime in on the difference?
I think this is accurate. The taper is probably more prevalent with regular stage 1 since the stock intercooler can only effectively cool so much. When I had stage 1 + in my previous 335 it definitely felt a good bit faster than just stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
sven1010
335i E92 - AR DP, AMS FMIC, ER CP, HKS BOV, JB4
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

When you view it as cost versus performance, catted down pipes are not worth it. Even though meowless down pipes are a hassle you will see much stronger gains with a pro tune just my opinion though!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Get the protune...well worth the $$. Ran stage 1+ OTS from Cobb for a while, and was e-tuned by jake@PTF. The Cobb OTS maps are conservative and leave a good amount of hp/tq on the table. Granted i am FBO now, I do remember smiling ear to ear after I got my revised stage1+ map from Jake@ptf.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
lfelunden
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownsurf
Quote:
What kinda difference? I'd have to go with catted pipes. Not wanted the hassle of catless. Odour and having to worry bout emission's test
Biggest gain are with catless dp! You can run more boost and better spool is obtained too
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
Snownsurf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD View Post
Get the protune...well worth the $$. Ran stage 1+ OTS from Cobb for a while, and was e-tuned by jake@PTF. The Cobb OTS maps are conservative and leave a good amount of hp/tq on the table. Granted i am FBO now, I do remember smiling ear to ear after I got my revised stage1+ map from Jake@ptf.
Ya that's what I've been reading. That the OTS maps are pretty conservative with the COBB. What kinda gains did you see when you got it protuned? and what mods did you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #11
Snownsurf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Biggest gain are with catless dp! You can run more boost and better spool is obtained too
Ya I know there are great gains there. But I'm still iffy bout it. I'd rather pay bit more and get pipes that don't cause whole lot of hassle but it seems like there are none
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #12
RWThorpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328xi 2014 FJC

Six weeks ago I installed Injen DCI, three weeks ago I installed VRSF catless DP. I notice a slight smell of exhaust in start up, in the cold, on high idle. Once warmed up hardly noticeable. Installing the DP on my Xi was a hassle. I was lucky a friend let me use his lift on a Saturday afternoon and took me about 5.5 hours. Running Cobb stage 2 sport LT tune. Next will be FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ya that's what I've been reading. That the OTS maps are pretty conservative with the COBB. What kinda gains did you see when you got it protuned? and what mods did you have?
I got my first protune when I was stage 1+, don't quote me, but I believe stage1+ has bigger gains OTS than stage 2. After working out all the kinks, I think jake did about 2 revisions on my stage1 + 93 oct. Map, the power gains were pretty significant. Never got it dynoed (Awd dyno time is pricey).

I've been working with Jake for the last 6-7 months. Over those months we have made several adjustments, now that I am FBO (downpipes) and we are in the process of doing an e30 map.

I can't speak highly enough about PTF. Even if you aren't looking for a track monster, or massive dyno #s I would still recommend getting protuned, it's better for YOUR car, then a generic OTS map
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Snownsurf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWThorpe View Post
Six weeks ago I installed Injen DCI, three weeks ago I installed VRSF catless DP. I notice a slight smell of exhaust in start up, in the cold, on high idle. Once warmed up hardly noticeable. Installing the DP on my Xi was a hassle. I was lucky a friend let me use his lift on a Saturday afternoon and took me about 5.5 hours. Running Cobb stage 2 sport LT tune. Next will be FMIC.
Ya but the issue is I live in Canada where you freeze your balls off most of the year lol so in -30 weather my car is gonna smell way longer than in the states. There's times where the cars oil never warms up till I reach my destination. Talked to the guys who I had install my FMIC and they agree that there is quite a smell when you add dp's since it takes for ever to warm up here. Plus if anyone checks it'll fail the visual inspection right off the bat. The FMIC is a great mod
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Snownsurf
Private
Rep

Quote:
I got my first protune when I was stage 1+, don't quote me, but I believe stage1+ has bigger gains OTS than stage 2. After working out all the kinks, I think jake did about 2 revisions on my stage1 + 93 oct. Map, the power gains were pretty significant. Never got it dynoed (Awd dyno time is pricey).

I've been working with Jake for the last 6-7 months. Over those months we have made several adjustments, now that I am FBO (downpipes) and we are in the process of doing an e30 map.

I can't speak highly enough about PTF. Even if you aren't looking for a track monster, or massive dyno #s I would still recommend getting protuned, it's better for YOUR car, then a generic OTS map
Ya I talked to the COBB guys and they said the 1+ was bigger gains than the 2. Wouldn't you know the numbers if you use your COBB to dyno it?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ya I talked to the COBB guys and they said the 1+ was bigger gains than the 2. Wouldn't you know the numbers if you use your COBB to dyno it?
I have the v2, I think the "virtual dyno" feature is a v3 only. I wouldn't take those #s too seriously.
Appreciate 0