BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
abirmaher
Captain
 
abirmaher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupé Jet Black, Red
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami/ Orlando, Florida

Posts: 636
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Key Fob Issues

Hi all, so a couple days ago I started having his issue where sometimes when I come to unlock my car the meh doesn't seem to do anything. I have comfort access and with that as well as with just clicking the buttons on the key it won't do anything. If I pull the key out and put it in the door to open it works and then if I use the remote it works fine. This has been happening for the past couple days around twice a day. Also all my presets don't work when it happens I imagine because all of that stuff is associated to the key.

Not sure if it's related because I think that it started happening before but I just had my windshield changed I think the day after it started happening. Any ideas?
__________________
abirmaher is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
threewirefire
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Round Rock, TX

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

The cheapest and easiest thing to start with regarding any key with comfort access is to change the battery in the remote. The key fob batteries last roughly two years, give or take. Replacing the batteries in comfort access remotes resolves 90% of the remote locking and comfort access concerns in most BMW models. They are also covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty, so if you still have new vehicle warranty the dealer will replace them at no charge.
threewirefire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
abirmaher
Captain
 
abirmaher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupé Jet Black, Red
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami/ Orlando, Florida

Posts: 636
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by threewirefire
The cheapest and easiest thing to start with regarding any key with comfort access is to change the battery in the remote. The key fob batteries last roughly two years, give or take. Replacing the batteries in comfort access remotes resolves 90% of the remote locking and comfort access concerns in most BMW models. They are also covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty, so if you still have new vehicle warranty the dealer will replace them at no charge.
Sorry I didn't mention it I did actually swap out the battery and I though that fixed it till the next day. But I appreciate the input.
__________________
abirmaher is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
bdoooh
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 BMW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio

Posts: 441
iTrader: (1)

Do we really need to change out the batteries? Doesn't the fob charge when plugged into the car?
__________________
2012 Jet Black 135i M-Sport
Mods: Cobb AP, VRSF DP, E92 M3 FSB, CDV mod, BMS clutch stop.
bdoooh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
foghat
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 850
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
Do we really need to change out the batteries? Doesn't the fob charge when plugged into the car?
if you have comfort access you need to change batteries. If you don't, they charge when you have key in ignition.
__________________
PTF tuned by Dzenno (94 oct) | Burger DCI | VRSF FMIC 7" | VRSF DP | Berk Street catback | Dynojet: 406/463 (std. correction) | Dyno Dynamics: 354/432 (ATMC1 correction)
foghat is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
wv128bmw
Private
 
wv128bmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: wv

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

My comfort access quite all together. It was a fuse that only works the comfort access module in car. Doubt that would be your problem but it could be something along that line, wiring, module, etc.

Tech put car on scanner and it was not recognizing the module.

Good luck.
__________________
If your not livin now, then when?
wv128bmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Normanthornhill
New Member
 
Drives: Black 2009 135i M sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston tx

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Don't mean to sound rude at all; did you try a new battery?
I had similar problem a few months back and a quik battery swap seamed to do the trick
Normanthornhill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
b1aze
Just one more taste...
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (14)

My drivers side CA stopped working while the passenger and trunk still work perfect. As does the CA ignition. The unlock remote key was pretty fickle for a while where I'd have to click it continuously until it unlocked but only needed 1 press for lock. That works fine now, it's just the comfort access that doesn't work.

Dealer ordered a new handle under warranty and is replacing it for me next week.
b1aze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
abirmaher
Captain
 
abirmaher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupé Jet Black, Red
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami/ Orlando, Florida

Posts: 636
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanthornhill View Post
Don't mean to sound rude at all; did you try a new battery?
I had similar problem a few months back and a quik battery swap seamed to do the trick
Yeah I did sorry i made another post that said I did
__________________
abirmaher is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
abirmaher
Captain
 
abirmaher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupé Jet Black, Red
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami/ Orlando, Florida

Posts: 636
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
My drivers side CA stopped working while the passenger and trunk still work perfect. As does the CA ignition. The unlock remote key was pretty fickle for a while where I'd have to click it continuously until it unlocked but only needed 1 press for lock. That works fine now, it's just the comfort access that doesn't work.

Dealer ordered a new handle under warranty and is replacing it for me next week.
Not sure if its only my door or all but i know that if i try to unlock with the actual remote it wont work either. Only when I put the key in the door and unlock does everything wake up and work again.
__________________
abirmaher is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
abirmaher
Captain
 
abirmaher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupé Jet Black, Red
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami/ Orlando, Florida

Posts: 636
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Starting to think it may be the remote because I've been using my spare and am not seeing the problem again. I'll mention it next time i take my car in for something.
__________________
abirmaher is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
b1aze
Just one more taste...
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher
Starting to think it may be the remote because I've been using my spare and am not seeing the problem again. I'll mention it next time i take my car in for something.
That was the first thing I tried when mine stopped working. Second remote and new batteries.

Glad to see you got it working again for the most part. Let us know what BMW says or if they will cover the other remote.
b1aze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
TheBurro
Private First Class
 
TheBurro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 193
iTrader: (3)

I see a lot of these threads about keyfob issues with comfort access. What about those of us without comfort access? I don't have CA, and my keyfob sucks. It needs to be right next to the car to lock/unlock, and sometimes then it doesn't work very well. I know they say it recharges when in the dash, but can we change batteries in the non-CA remotes as well? Maybe a new rechargeable battery?
TheBurro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Lester
Colonel
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 2,875
iTrader: (0)

The batteries are not replaceable in the standard Fob. That doesn't mean that you couldn't take it apart, and check out the battery situation. It might be possible. but I'm not sure who wants to try it first. A new Fob is $400.
Lester is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
TheBurro
Private First Class
 
TheBurro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 193
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
The batteries are not replaceable in the standard Fob. That doesn't mean that you couldn't take it apart, and check out the battery situation. It might be possible. but I'm not sure who wants to try it first. A new Fob is $400.
I figured that'd be the case.
TheBurro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
bbbbmw
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

Posts: 356
iTrader: (0)

I had an e39 some years ago. The key was supposed to charge while in the ignition as well. It wouldnt hold a charge, and the dealer said new keys were not CPO, and would cost $400+. I stuck the key in my Sonicare toothbrush charger - And the keys held a charge - proving that the fault was in the ignition system recharge mechanism - which was covered under CPO. So maybe try a Sonicare and see if it works?
bbbbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
remaeb
Private
 
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midwest

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

I've came across the same problems, not being able to use the keyless entry with both my key fobs. Touch and button doesn't work. Can't push to start either. Only when the fob is inserted does it start. I've driven over 5+ hours and still nothing.

Will swap the batteries next.
remaeb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
 
TwinTurboed's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
My drivers side CA stopped working while the passenger and trunk still work perfect. As does the CA ignition. The unlock remote key was pretty fickle for a while where I'd have to click it continuously until it unlocked but only needed 1 press for lock. That works fine now, it's just the comfort access that doesn't work.

Dealer ordered a new handle under warranty and is replacing it for me next week.
This exact thing happened to my car as well. The driver side door handle is being replaced as we speak. These door handles had to be specially made for the car and shipped in from Germany. I wonder how much it would have cost if I didn't have warranty.

Seem's like, the fewer the options, the more reliable bimmer's are.
__________________
I drive an entry level BMW...that has TWIN TURBOS
TwinTurboed is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 130is 6MT, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 3,162
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewirefire View Post
The cheapest and easiest thing to start with regarding any key with comfort access is to change the battery in the remote. The key fob batteries last roughly two years, give or take. Replacing the batteries in comfort access remotes resolves 90% of the remote locking and comfort access concerns in most BMW models. They are also covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty, so if you still have new vehicle warranty the dealer will replace them at no charge.
Did not know this, fantastic. I was milking my battery for the last few months.
__________________

130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
b1aze
Just one more taste...
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brown135 View Post
This exact thing happened to my car as well. The driver side door handle is being replaced as we speak. These door handles had to be specially made for the car and shipped in from Germany. I wonder how much it would have cost if I didn't have warranty.

Seem's like, the fewer the options, the more reliable bimmer's are.
Just to follow up, replacing the handle worked perfect. I have CA back on the door i use and its glorious. Its simple, but the ability to throw keys in your pocket, grab the door handle, get in, start, stop, get out and lock the car without touching the key itself is pretty awesome. Super convenient and one of the options that i like most so far.
b1aze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
 
TwinTurboed's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Just to follow up, replacing the handle worked perfect. I have CA back on the door i use and its glorious. Its simple, but the ability to throw keys in your pocket, grab the door handle, get in, start, stop, get out and lock the car without touching the key itself is pretty awesome. Super convenient and one of the options that i like most so far.
I agree. Of all the options on my car, this is my most favorite one. I just hope it won't fail again after I get it fixed.
__________________
I drive an entry level BMW...that has TWIN TURBOS
TwinTurboed is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
b1aze
Just one more taste...
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brown135 View Post
I agree. Of all the options on my car, this is my most favorite one. I just hope it won't fail again after I get it fixed.
If it does, i would have to push the dealership to cover it again, as its a reoccuring problem. Depends on the rapport you have with your dealership.
b1aze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST