BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

refinishing a bumper

Hello all,

I got in an accident a few days ago, my car was rear ended and the damage is relatively minor. I got a license plate indentation on the rear bumper and the body shop has quoted be for reconditioning, refinishing, and refitting.
Now, reconditioning is what I preferred over aftermarket bumpers but I thought I'd ask here for downsides of reconditioned bumpers if there are any.
And if the body shop said refinish, does that mean they are just going to spray touch up my bumper instead of completely painting the entire bumper?
Of course I'll ask them what exactly they are going to do but any input from you guys would be awesome.
If you know of any reputable body shops in LA area, let me know please. I have one picked out but it doesn't hurt to have more options.
Thanks much in advance, happy and safe driving!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

The same happened to me.

They are going to refurbish your bumper. Depending on where you take the car, the results might be outstanding like mine.

In my case, they repaired the bumper for the holes, and then painted all including the charcoal diffuser (135i). Like new.

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
If there are any deep scratches (not surface scratches) then they'll repaint the whole bumper. I had the smallest scratch but it was deep, and the body shop at my BMW dealer repainted the whole bumper because it would be difficult to just blend a repair. This is especially true if your car is a metallic colour.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
If there are any deep scratches (not surface scratches) then they'll repaint the whole bumper.
Yeah, there are a couple of deep scratches and two deep circles from the screws on the other guy's license plate.
I was just curious because the estimate guy said "refinish" not "repaint"
Obviously I'll talk to them before (if) I take my car to them though
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
Yeah, there are a couple of deep scratches and two deep circles from the screws on the other guy's license plate.
I was just curious because the estimate guy said "refinish" not "repaint"
Obviously I'll talk to them before (if) I take my car to them though
Usually in body shop lingo, refinish means repair and repaint. What was the estimate if you don't mind me asking? A bumper could generally be painted for 300-400

Edit: upwards of $500 could also be a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Usually in body shop lingo, refinish means repair and repaint. What was the estimate if you don't mind me asking? A bumper could generally be painted for 300-400

Edit: upwards of $500 could also be a possibility.
I called them and they did confirm that "refinish" means painting the whole thing including primer, etc

No worries. I'm taking my car to a body shop that specializes in Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, Lambos, Ferraris lol. Their quality of work and paint matching is top notch, I hear. They gave me a rough estimate of $1100.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Sounds like a great body shop! The price seems in line with a high end shop. Good luck and enjoy the repair. I'm sure it'll be great.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
In our area we have a few body shops that have been certified by BMWUSA. I would check with your dealer to get a list of certified dealers in LA.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
$1100 sounds insane for a bumper respray. Is your insurance covering it?

FWIW, I've had both my front bumper entirely resprayed by the dealer contracted body shop and the rear bumper partially resprayed by one of those mobile guys in my driveway, and both came out great. Blends perfectly.

Only hiccup was the front had to be redone because the first time they accidentally mixed a little bit of metal flake into the paint. Metallic Crimson Red looks pretty ghetto fabulous, lol.
      09-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I went through the same issue a couple of months ago, the shop ended up replacing the whole bumper for an OEM unit. The work was flawless but the final bill was $1600.

Here's what the damaged looked like,
Attached Images

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

FWIW, I've had both my front bumper entirely resprayed by the dealer contracted body shop and the rear bumper partially resprayed by one of those mobile guys in my driveway, and both came out great. Blends perfectly.
$1100 is for reconditioning, refinish (primer, paint, etc), refitting of the whole bumper. And I got rear ended so the other party's insurance is covering it.

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I went through the same issue a couple of months ago, the shop ended up replacing the whole bumper for an OEM unit. The work was flawless but the final bill was $1600.

Here's what the damaged looked like,
Thanks for the picture, my damage is similar, a little bit more indented. They replaced the bumper for that? I'm pretty sure that was unnecessary and probably had to do with dealing with the insurance company to get more money.
Either way, you got a OEM unit so you didn't lose anything it seems
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the picture, my damage is similar, a little bit more indented. They replaced the bumper for that? I'm pretty sure that was unnecessary and probably had to do with dealing with the insurance company to get more money.
Either way, you got a OEM unit so you didn't lose anything it seems
Actually the license plate did leave an indent of the upper half of the plate which is very hard to see in the pic.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 09-06-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Over here a replacing the rear bumper and painting it and finishing it will run about 1,300 euros. Most shops will also guarantee their paint work in writing for five years!

For a "smart repair" (where they leave the old bumper on the car, slap some bondo on it, sand it and paint only a small section) will run you about 500 euros.

I think you will be spending about the same at a good body shop in the states.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
I called them and they did confirm that "refinish" means painting the whole thing including primer, etc

No worries. I'm taking my car to a body shop that specializes in Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, Lambos, Ferraris lol. Their quality of work and paint matching is top notch, I hear. They gave me a rough estimate of $1100.
Sonic, just curious where you're taking it as I'll be curious to hear what you think of the quality of the work heaven forbid I ever have to deal with it.

My 2008 135i was worked on by Beverly Hills Auto Body Group twice, including once for a new rear bumper, and their paint work was stellar. Wonder if you are taking it to the same place as they deal mostly in high end stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Sonic, just curious where you're taking it as I'll be curious to hear what you think of the quality of the work heaven forbid I ever have to deal with it.
I hope you never have to deal with it, too. But i'm taking my car to Avio Coach Craft in West Los Angeles.

My friend has taken his car to this place a few times and he says the quality and paint matching is top notch and they use heat guns to take stickers off and then reattach/glue(?) them after refinishing the body so no one even knows that the body was redone.

According to their website, they are the only certified body and paint shop by Rolls Royce of North America. On their website, they say they specialize in Rolls, Bentley, Lambo, Ferrari. No mention of Mercedes, BMW even Maserati or Porsche lol.

I will definitely check out the body shop you mentioned, can't hurt to do more reserach. Thank!

Last edited by sonicbimmer19; 09-06-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I hope I don't either, but on my last 135, some ahole in a parking lot in vegas destroyed my bumper, first body work I've ever had to have done on any car in all my years of driving, so was very paranoid. Looked perfect after they did it and I'm about as OCD as it gets. Not sure what color yours is, mine was titanium silver.

Then 2 months later, some a-hole who never looked pulled out right out in front of me on Olympic and I t-boned him, causing another 26K in damage. They put it back together again (was almost totaled) and looked good as new. But, I hope I never see them again! One benefit is they are a progressive preferred place and have one of their claims people there onsite and do their own rental cars, so was easy for me since i have progressive.

I care mostly about the paint though and was flawless. Nobody could tell. They used to be the body shop BMW of Beverly Hills sent their customers to for years until Paulee Body Shop on La Cienega paid them a bunch of money to be the new authorized shop. And Paulee sucks (owned by my next-door neighbor growing up and a real prick).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Over here a replacing the rear bumper and painting it and finishing it will run about 1,300 euros. Most shops will also guarantee their paint work in writing for five years!

For a "smart repair" (where they leave the old bumper on the car, slap some bondo on it, sand it and paint only a small section) will run you about 500 euros.

I think you will be spending about the same at a good body shop in the states.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Only 5 years, dack? When I had mine redone, it's a lifetime guarantee!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Only 5 years, dack? When I had mine redone, it's a lifetime guarantee!
Well... this is Germany and they NEVER give you a guarantee! Even on a new BMW you only get a 6 month warranty and then after that, up to 24 months its up to BMW to decide,ala good will. Such BS over here sometimes. lol
Appreciate 0