BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #45
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Does everyone know that they are just replacing the potentially defective part with a brand new potentially defective part? It just wont be a risk for 4-6 yrs and that BMW is developing a permanent solution which wont be available until 2018, at that time all the cars will be called in again for the 2nd replacement.
Appreciate 2
Esteban44815.00
Matticus913486.50
      10-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #46
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Does everyone know that they are just replacing the potentially defective part with a brand new potentially defective part? It just wont be a risk for 4-6 yrs and that BMW is developing a permanent solution which wont be available until 2018, at that time all the cars will be called in again for the 2nd replacement.
Yes.
      10-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #47
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Haven't heard that. Unless it was replaced before you bought your car. Did you check BMW's recall site?

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

Called my dealer the other day and they said to wait for a 2nd letter saying the parts were in for my specific car.
BMWNA just stated the above, car is still under the recall, however, no parts yet. To wait for the second letter.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #48
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
When I bought mine earlier this month (couldn't sell until fixed - CPO car), they replaced the entire cover including the emblem. It still had a blue hued sticker over it.
I am waiting on a CPO as well. It's been a couple of weeks now. How long did it take to get the parts in your case?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #49
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I honestly don't know. My understanding was that it happened pretty quickly because I was the first person to look at the car and they had just posted it on the dealer website. They replaced tires as well. It sounded like they had the car about a week before I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #50
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OK!
Got the news yesterday that the part will be in the dealership next week.

So roughly 3 weeks total for a CPO car. I think I should not be complaining...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #51
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Ahhh...the magical F'ing airbag.

Two months before my lease was about to end, I decided that I'd buy the car out.

June 2016: I called BMW and they told me to check in on my local dealer. In the end, I was told to call back within the 30 days of my lease.

Called back in July, they denied said claim of having the part by July and told me to call back in August.

Called back in August (lease end) and asked for an airbag, they told me to come back in September (they extended lease by 2 months). They stalled me out of this lease program for faulty airbag owners that my dealer told me about.

They called me in September, told me the part will come in October.

October (3 days before lease extension end): apparently the part will come in two days. Had it done in two days. Proceeded with the purchasing process and signing of the papers....they charged me almost $900 for "late lease return" and an extra $1.2k for "emissions and safety inspection." WTF? late lease return? it's their fault for having that! Also aren't emissions stuff free here in CA within the first 5 or 6 years of ownership?

Oh yeah, with each call, BMW asked me to check to my dealer who refers me to BMW FS who then passes me back to my dealer who passes me back to FS...until either one says "come back next month." (To be fair, I can't really fault my dealer about getting the parts or the charges except for possibly the inspection.)

In the end, it took BMW's ass to get me my airbag replacement 4 months + charge me $900 extra (resulting in a zero reduction in the residual from my 2 month lease extension) + an unexpected and BS $1.2k charge for some BS inspection + an annoying refill of my washer fluid with water...yes, my dealer filled my washer fluid with WATER...I'd rather them empty my old one out.

That said, I'm never going to be a BMW customer again...I've been with other people (family and friends) when buying/lease returning cars and BMW has been the nastiest one to deal with. Merc was a quick and easy process. Most of the Japanese brands were simple too. Porsche was a bit rude/insulting but they were easy and straightforward to deal with. Jaguar/Land Rover is the best one for me.

Last edited by PopsnBurbles; 11-19-2016 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #52
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post

Two months before my lease was about to end, I decided that I'd buy the car out.

June 2016: I called BMW and they told me to check in on my local dealer. In the end, I was told to call back within the 30 days of my lease.

Called back in July, they denied said claim of having the part by July and told me to call back in August.

Called back in August (lease end) and asked for an airbag, they told me to come back in September (they extended lease by 2 months). They stalled me out of this lease program for faulty airbag owners that my dealer told me about.

October (3 days before lease extension end): apparently the part will come in two days. Had it done in two days. Proceeded with the purchasing process and signing of the papers....they charged me almost $900 for "late lease return" and an extra $1.2k for "emissions and safety inspection." WTF? late lease return? it's their fault for having that! Also aren't emissions stuff free here in CA within the first 5 or 6 years of ownership?

Oh yeah, with each call, BMW asked me to check to my dealer who refers me to BMW FS who then passes me back to my dealer who passes me back to FS...until either one says "come back next month." (To be fair, I can't really fault my dealer about getting the parts or the charges except for possibly the inspection.)

In the end, it took BMW's ass to get me my airbag replacement 4 months + charge me $900 extra (resulting in a zero reduction in the residual from my 2 month lease extension) + an unexpected and BS $1.2k charge for some BS inspection + an annoying refill of my washer fluid with water...yes, my dealer filled my washer fluid with WATER...I'd rather them empty my old one out.

That said, I'm never going to be a BMW customer again...I've been with other people (family and friends) when buying/lease returning cars and BMW has been the nastiest one to deal with. Merc was a quick and easy process. Most of the Japanese brands were simple too. Porsche was a bit rude/insulting but they were easy and straightforward to deal with. Jaguar/Land Rover is the best one for me.
Sorry you got treated so shitty, but that's over now and you get to keep driving a great car. Screw them!
      11-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #53
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Plus, you got your new air bag. Wish I did. Hopefully soon.
      12-06-2016, 01:46 AM   #54
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Still waiting, and I would like to trade my car for something else. I bet this airbag problem has knocked at least $1500 off the trade in value. BMW could get these airbags faster if they were willing to pay someone other than Takata to make the replacements. Yeah, I live in hot and humid Houston, TX.
      12-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #55
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

I took my E46 in for a driver's side airbag after waiting almost a year. I got a letter saying to make an immediate appointment - I called to make sure that the airbag was in and I was assured it was.

When I showed up for my appointment I was informed my airbag was installed in someone else's car and they couldn't help me. No phone call to let me know beforehand. Terrific...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #56
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Still waiting, and I would like to trade my car for something else. I bet this airbag problem has knocked at least $1500 off the trade in value. BMW could get these airbags faster if they were willing to pay someone other than Takata to make the replacements. Yeah, I live in hot and humid Houston, TX.
Maybe you should just try to trade it in if you are going with a BMW again. It seems that bmw dealers have received some incentives to accept trade-ins without the airbag fix. My car was such a case.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #57
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

A VIN search on the recall page BMW or otherwise doesn't even show an open recall anymore. Never received notification of parts after the initial notice. '08 in South Texas.
      01-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #58
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
A VIN search on the recall page BMW or otherwise doesn't even show an open recall anymore. Never received notification of parts after the initial notice. '08 in South Texas.
It still shows the recall for mine. My dealer told me a while ago that they'd be getting the parts in fall. Will have to email them again and see what's going on.

Contact your dealer and see what they say.
      01-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #59
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Same here. Recall website shows "Remedy available". This is ridiculous, I received the first notification probably in April-May of last year.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #60
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

My car was in for an oil change yesterday and when they ran the VIN the told me the airbag recall was still outstanding (duh).

They said basically they are doing older cars first and not to hold my breath.
      01-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #61
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post

That is hard to believe that they extended your lease then charged you a late fee? Really? What am I missing. Also why would you pay it?
      01-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #62
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

My lease extension is ending in 6 weeks. Called them up last week to ask them when the airbag was going to be replaced as i wanted to buy the car. One week later dealer had the airbag being installed on Friday!
      01-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #63
Beancooker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Took the car in the week before last for cracked inlet and charge pipes. SA in Fife WA told me it would be dry and warm before they will get the parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #64
sandlion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

BMW Plano told me they are now getting bags for 2003 cars .yes , that's right, 2003.
      01-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #65
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I took mine out when installing my new alcantara wheel.... the back plate of the airbag inflator was starting to rust. I had the connector in my hand and paused for a long time but I elected to plug it back. Hopefully that move doesn't kill me.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #66
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
That is hard to believe that they extended your lease then charged you a late fee? Really? What am I missing. Also why would you pay it?
I don't know why they charged a late fee but it's probably because BMWFS are a bunch of scumbags...seriously, it's like I gave two months worth of lease payments away. Of course, I totally understand that they're just doing their job to reduce losses/increase profits for BMW but that's still some BS.

We didn't bother fighting it out because we just wanted to get out of there and never deal with BMW again. I believe our family was pretty loyal to BMW too...
Appreciate 0