BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #23
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventattoo View Post
Except for a POS Audi A4 I bought new in 1998, this is my first 'upscale' car buying experience. I am paying MSRP for my 135i coupe. While I have had a very good experience here at my dealership in Houston, the attitude of the BMW salesperson is certainly different from that I found when I considered buying a G37 a few weeks ago. THERE IS A REASON! Over the years I have read many reviews from Car and Driver, Automobile, etc, etc. I have also read the numerous letters to the editor about BMW bias. I went in to my shopping experience with an open mind. I read all the reviews how Infiniti has either hit the bull's eye or at least has come up with a comparable car to the 3series. Before a 1 was available, I went and test drove the 335 to get a feel what the 1 will be like. All those years of reading those reviews and letters suddenly rushed through my head and I immediately sided with all good that has been said about BMW and rejected all the naysayers that other cars are 'just as good.' These guys may come across as arrogant, but for a very good reason. They know there is no comparison. Go make your deal on an Acura or Lexus. They NEED to be at your feet. There is no comparison in these cars. I got to test a 135i (sadly an automatic) today and I can either have many, many words, or simply realize that there are no words to describe. I will post my experience driving the car elsewhere.

You may think I am being a snob. I say I have simply had my eyes open and I'm being realistic.

Having said that, I hope you don't have to pay over MSRP, but I hope you have really compared the driving experience between these cars and have an appreciation for what the BMW provides. Absolute THRILL!

Cheers!
This has to be one of the most naive posts I've read on this site. Ever.

There's nothing BMW currently sells that justifies any arrogance from BMW CA's or sales managers.

Edit: And the way I was treated today by the stained-tie assclowns at my local dealership may have turned me off this brand forever. You really have to work at it to be as clueless and unprofessional as those douchebags...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
I wouldn't say that.

Having a pompous sales team, doesn't mean the service manager runs his department the same way.

most of the time , yes it does. The owner sets the over all tone. The majority of resources of any dealership is put into the sales department, you may get lucky to have a good service manager, but how long will he give a damn if the owner does not value customer service ? The the tone of the overall dealership is set in the sales department. The sales team reflex the mentality of the dealership. That is CRM 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #25
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Why are there people here that expect those that work at a car dealership to kiss their behinds? Because they're buying a car? I expect the staff to be polite and professional. I do not need them to polish my shoes. If they are busy and I'm not.. I'll wait and pour myself some coffee. If I'm too busy I'll come back later. I mainly want them to hold up their end of a business transaction. If I don't like the salesman because they are not informed enough or I don't like them as an individual, I'll find a different one. If you want sucking up you need a reality check. This isn't Rodeo drive and you're not Julia Roberts. You're there to buy a car.

As for paying over MSRP.. now way no how. Most of us paid MSPR so we don't have to wait a year for $1000 off, but you can get MSRP anywhere and this is business. I would not buy from that dealer.

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 01:27 AM   #26
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
the way I was treated today by the stained-tie assclowns at my local dealership may have turned me off this brand forever
Whatever floats your boat. I hear saturn dealerships are very friendly. Personally I would never equate sales staff with the quality of a product.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #27
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Why are there people here that expect those that work at a car dealership to kiss their behinds? Because they're buying a car? I expect the staff to be polite and professional. I do not need them to polish my shoes. If they are busy and I'm not.. I'll wait and pour myself some coffee. If I'm too busy I'll come back later. I mainly want them to hold up their end of a business transaction. If I don't like the salesman because they are not informed enough or I don't like them as an individual, I'll find a different one. If you want sucking up you need a reality check. This isn't Rodeo drive and you're not Julia Roberts. You're there to buy a car.

As for paying over MSRP.. now way no how. Most of us paid MSPR so we don't have to wait a year for $1000 off, but you can get MSRP anywhere and this is business. I would not buy from that dealer.

-Spook
Wow, I don’t know where to begin with this one.

As you grow up and become more successful in life you will realize that you time is very valuable. Most good sales organization realize this and are willing to give YOU premiums (swag), discounts, and/or other considerations for the right to market or sell to you. By not valuing your time you devalue yourself in a capitalist society. you are telling the world that your time (your most valuable resource) isn’t worth anything.

As for Rodeo Dr., that’s the crowd BMW markets to in the US. High level service is built into their pricing model. You may not feel that you are worthy or wanting of these perks, but I recognize the value of my time and expect to be treated accordingly.

BTW , you should try shopping on Rodeo Dr one day. The level of service makes it almost
Bearable when my wife buy a $1200 purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywalmartcustomer View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I hear saturn dealerships are very friendly. Personally I would never equate sales staff with the quality of a product.

true:

(sales quality) is not equal to (over all quality)
but
(sales quality) + (Product quality) + (service quality) = (overall quality)

Audi, Volvo, Lexus, Infinity, and Mercedes all have quality product. I have bought from Lexus and Infinity. I have shopped at Mercedes and Audi. My experience with BMW so far is well below the standard of the other four . Don’t make excuses for poor dealers. Expect more. You deserve it if you are buying a high quality car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #28
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
Wow, I don’t know where to begin with this one.

As you grow up and become more successful in life you will realize that you time is very valuable. Most good sales organization realize this and are willing to give YOU premiums (swag), discounts, and/or other considerations for the right to market or sell to you. By not valuing you time you devalue yourself in a capitalist society. your telling the world that your time (your most valuable resource) isn’t worth anything.

As for Rodeo Dr., that’s the crowd BMW markets to in the US. High level service is built into their pricing model. You my not feel that you are worthy or wanting of these perks, but I recognize the value of my time and expect to be treated accordingly.

BTW , you should try shopping on Rodeo Dr, one day. The level of service makes it almost
Bearable
when my wife buy a $1200 purse.

true:

(sales quality) is not equal to (over all quality)
but
(sales quality) + (Product quality) + (service quality) = (overall quality)

Audi, Volvo, Lexus, Infinity, and Mercedes all have quality product. I have bought from Lexus and Infinity. I have shopped at Mercedes and Audi. My experience with BMW so far is well below the standard of the other four . Don’t make excuses for poor dealers. Expect more. You deserve it if you are buying a high quality car.
You are kidding right? They are not there to coddle you, hold your hand or massage your balls... They don't have the right to be rude to you but they are not going to kiss your ass.. spook had it right.. you are there to buy a high quality IN DEMAND product... You don't know how many " customers" they deal with who have champagne tastes and bud light wallets...that shit gets old quick..so yeah they try to size you up from the get go. Nothing like wasting your time dealing with a guy who wants to go from a Hyundai accent to a m3 with nothing but a trade in and not wanting to go higher then 300 a month. My last car was a g35 and infiniti gave me a 20 oz coke while I was there.. I went to just look at BMW and was fed subs... should I equate that to how much superior BMW is? NO... I let the quality of the car decide... not the dealer I bought it from. I would not have even wasted my time posting this except for the fact that the part about your wife buying a purse on RODEO DR made me CRINGE...ick!!! Whatever
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #29
aallii1991
Rep
Drives:

i would try nick alexander(los angeles), bob smith(calabasas) and center bmw(van nuys) they are all pretty good got my 550i from nick alexander and they were fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #30
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aallii1991 View Post
i would try nick alexander(los angeles), bob smith(calabasas) and center bmw(van nuys) they are all pretty good got my 550i from nick alexander and they were fine.
People have given him many names and dealers. I believe he is just here to complain.

Quote:
BTW , you should try shopping on Rodeo Dr one day. The level of service makes it almost
Bearable when my wife buy a $1200 purse.
No offense, but you drive Scion TC, yet you shop on Rodeo.

$1200 purse on Rodeo, you getting some back alley deals.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #31
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
People have given him many names and dealers. I believe he is just here to complain.
Guess you dont read. This is what I said earlier:

Quote:
Thanks all for the PMs and post of good dealers. I will try this again on Sunday.

As to:

Quote:
No offense, but you drive Scion TC, yet you shop on Rodeo.

$1200 purse on Rodeo, you getting some back alley deals.

Reading issue again . I drive a G35 6mt AND a tC. The tC is my project car that is heavily modded. It is a fun toy that I get a kick out of. I’m planning on making a 135 my new project. My wife drives a Lexus rx400h. As for Rodeo drive, my point is quality and luxury is more that just the product. BMW is a luxury product. They are a strong 2nd in the luxury segment. They only have about a 1.8% share of the over all car market.

From the posts and PMs that I have gotten ,it seen that BMW does value their customer experience, I was just unlucky to pick two dealers that act more like Ford and Nissan Dealers than a luxury car outfit. It is also very apparent that there are people who are very passionate about BMWs to the point that they will put up with disservice to get their prize. Don‘t hate on me and other because we expect more. Who knows, after I get my 135 I may be so impressed with BMW that I will be willing to crawl over razorblades to get my next BMW fix.

The trick is they have to hook me first. Good customer service and A red 135 at sticker is really tempting bait
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #32
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I wouldn't say that.

Having a pompous sales team, doesn't mean the service manager runs his department the same way.
I agree. I have stated previously in multiple threads how I hated my sales expereince with Scott P**** at Stevens Creek BMW. However, I have to say, I went to get my floor mats there at the parts and service department and their attitude was excellent! Unfortunately, it is also the case that (I am guily of this too) most people only report sub-par experiences. Usually, our threshold is set at a lower level to make us want to write a bad review. However, it takes an absolutely amazing customer service usually for us to create a thread saying a dealership is good. Don't all start shouting. I know these are generalisations.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #33
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

FWIW, I decided to drop this into the new Dealer Reviews & Ratings forum. We'll christen this new section correctly! ; -)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #34
NickmanBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

I also agree, BMW Encinitas has always been good to me. I believe they move quite a bit of cars, so there shouldn't be any markup. That is one advantage of socal, plenty of competition, so a better dealership is only a half hour away.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #35
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostFrenzy View Post
the ONLY people that want this car is US, your typical BMW buyer thinks it's a stripped down entry level POS 3 series for kids!
have done much researching on this car a lot of potential M3 buyers are buying a 135i because of its size and performance potential. and a lot of 335i owners are slowly and discreetly ordering them.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #36
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
From the posts and PMs that I have gotten ,it seen that BMW does value their customer experience, I was just unlucky to pick two dealers that act more like Ford and Nissan Dealers than a luxury car outfit. It is also very apparent that there are people who are very passionate about BMWs to the point that they will put up with disservice to get their prize.
That was my experience with one dealer, and I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater although I'm still fairly torqued over the incident.

Also, we've had an influx of "passionate" people to this board (read: badge queens, apologists and shills) since 1-series deliveries began. Anyone who states that you should expect and tolerate arrogance from commissioned salesman of any stripe can be immediately and thoroughly dismissed. It'll take awhile to flush that element out of this relatively young forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #37
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
I' ve been to 2 dealer is So. California this week and I have to say I am disappointed in the BMW "experience". Unlike Lexus and Infinity, it seem that BMW dealers don't care about long term relationships or making their customers seem special. Instead they seem to have the attitude that we should feel privileged to be buying a BMW.
At both dealerships I needed to wait 15-20 min to be helped, I was not offered coffee, a snack or a beverage, once they found out I was there for a 1 series the sales person seemed to get even less interested. The real kicker was the amount of time I wasted to get out of them what they where selling the 135 for (about 25-35 min).
All this to find out $3000-$5000 over sticker for a 135 in stock or $1000-$3000 over sticker to order a 135. This is suppose to be a entry level car. This is the type of car that creates brand loyalty. Why is BMW letting the dealers fleece their long term customers? this is not good for a brand.
I still love the 135, but I am having serious doubts about BMW and its dealer network. Anyone know a SO CAL dealer that would restore my confidence ?

Update:

There are good dealers in So. Cal. Read this thread for some. I just ordered a red 135i from BMW Long Beach. Great service ,to the point, and didn't waste my time. test drove a 135 auto, a 335 manual and did all the paper work in less than 1 hour. Most of the time was spent test driving.
If you want a good CA who will respect your time and won't play stupit games ask for Robby Montinola.

You are so right. I had a CA (Tischer BMW in Maryland) who quoted me a price of $1100 over the invoice a week ago on a 2008 335i coupe. Then few days ago, I get an e-mail for a special financing 3.9 % and incentives up to $2500 on a new 2008 BMW in stock. So I call him up and say "so what does this mean on the price you quoted me from last week ?" He says "that mean I can give you one at $500 below invoice !!". So I was trying to buy a white 335i coupe he had in stock and the CA changes his tune and says " I can't be $500 below invoice". :bs:. I said "Thank You for your time and effort".Why are BMW CA such a A$$H0l3? I know they are not all like this. it's just few bad ones that makes the rest look bad. I will wait 6 months and go to another dealer to make a deal on a 135i or 335i coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #38
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Sadly it seems that many new car salesmen are just a hair above used car salesmen in their attitudes and sleezyness, but the reason for this must ultimately laid at the feet of the owners. If they have a basically cynical attitude about customers (fools and their money), then it eventually permeates the whole delaership.

When I was looking for my 1st BMW I ran into all types. At one BMW dealership I was shown a pre-owned 3 series with a ridiculous price. When I asked what the Kelly Blue Book value was, the salesman said he had never heard of the blue book. I high-tailed it away from that fat liar and headed to another dealerhsip. There I bought my car largely because the salesman was open, honest and helpful. The service department, however, ended up being horrific and I swore I would never go back to that dealership either.

So now I'm on BMW dealership #3 and while the sales guy seems good, the sales manager seems pretty tough and presented me with a dealer invoice number that is a almost $600 more than what you can find on-line or through here. I have a call into the salesman to discuss this and a few other questions.

Is BMW worse than average? After going to about 8 different BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus and Acura dealers, I'd say yes. They do tend to be more arrogant. As for expecting to be coddled, some of their competitors are vey much into coddling so the impression is that their dealerships are more interested in customer service even if that's just an impression. You almost wish the engineering of the cars didn't let them get off being fat and lazy. Though I don't know how much influence various manufacturers have over their dealerships, I don't see Toyota ever letting a Lexus dealership earn a reputation for poor customer service. BMW, on the other hand, doesn't seem as intent in equating sales or brand loyalty to dealership experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #39
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

I've been to three BMW dealerships, the one here in KS - Baron BMW; One in Bloomington MN - Motorwerks; and one in OKC - don't recall the name. I go to Baron for almost all my service (never have I had a bad experience), and my dad bought his 325xi there. The experience that I've had a Motorwerks has been great - I'll probably buy my 135 from the salesman I meet over this weekend, that's how impressed by him I was. And I stopped into OKC without an appointment to have a "check engine light" looked at the day after I bought my ZHP in Dallas - also excellent service. I guess I've been lucky.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #40
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGrande View Post
you should not have to pay above MSRP.... No one has had to do that as far as I know.
no one should pay more than 500 bucks over invoice :smile:
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:46 AM   #41
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

It's interesting to test some of the views here against the ratings of specific dealers on their sales and service, as generalizations start to dissipate. For example:
-- Do BMW dealers provide generally poorer sales & service performance than other luxury brands? In my state (FL) they are certainly rated more poorly than their competitors.
-- Do luxury brand dealers provide an overall higher level of sales & service performance? Nissan and Toyota dealers, to pull out just two examples, are rated as highly or higher in my state (FL) than Lexus, Infiniti and BMW.

This source of info isn't a definitive one as the sample sizes are often too small...but looking beyond the ratings to the individual customer comments is very informative. Based on those, FL BMW dealers generally need to make huge improvements. What kind of rep have the BMW dealers in your state earned?

www.dealerrater.com/search/

Jack
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #42
jeff
Jeff
Rep
Drives:

The great thing about having the ability to buy a nice car such as a 135i is the ability to buy it from whomever you choose. If you are not being treated appropriately, move on to another salesperson or dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #43
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

It will be very interesting to see in what ways BMW's changes in sales strategy, in the USA in particular, will influence the quality of service received on the sales floor. As BMW USA dealers shift from a 'push' (rely on extensive inventory) to 'pull' (smaller inventory with more emphasis on orders) sales strategy, logic would suggest that service levels will need to climb. Human nature being what it is, I suspect most sales staff will grow grumpy & disenchanted with the customer noticing a drop in service as a result. And as always, the really well managed dealerships will adjust and make lemonade out of lemons.

Jack
Appreciate 0