BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

My iDrive experiences so far...

Hi guys, well, I don't have the 135i yet, but I thought some of you may be interested in my experiences with the '08 iDrive (mutter) that I have in the loaner:

I can understand why it gets a bad rap from some avenues. While I am what you would call a techno-geek, I still struggled for the first day with a couple of the usage options. A classic example, I tried 5 or 6 times last night to get the bluetooth system to pair with my HTC Touch and it failed every time. Now, I am the kind of guy that won't let technology beat me, so I upgraded the BT stack on the phone and tried again, and again... Nope. Failed every time.

On the way to work this morning (at the lights), I tried again. It suddenly dawned on me, once I'd entered the PIN in the car, I needed to go DOWN and then enter on 'Confirm' or something like that. I was pressing ENTER immediately, which is actually BACK. Doh! It works now and works beautifully! Full name and address book synch'd, it's great.

Another thing, I couldn't work out how to STOP navigation. Turns out it's the little arrow symbol that you turn off. Not intuitive. Probably in the manual, but... I was getting sick of whatsername saying "When possible, make a U Turn!!"...

I still can't work out how to use the Nav to navigate to an address in my phone's address book. It appears as if the Nav address book is seperate from the phones. Still working on this one. RTFM again, I guess.

Some things ARE intuitive, like adding a phone address book entry to a 'quick access' key above (or is it below?) the DVD drive, very easy. Just as easy to add radio station favourites there too.

I can't get the Voice recognition module to change radio stations, I'm sure my original SA just said "92 point 9", but it doesn't work for me. Have to check the manual.

I love how the system narrows down the alphabetical options as you're 'typing' an address into the Nav, very neat.

Sorry, just a brain dump, but it may interest someone! :wub:
      09-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Haha! When I did my testdrive I couldn't cancel the damn satnav either. I had to go back to the dealer so he could show me how. It was driving me nuts.

Glad to be getting the 09 idrive. The old version has been around too long.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I have Business Nav. I can get the voice command to work with the phone however not sure if it works with NAV, Radio etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Does this loaner have the Business or Professional nav? I wasn't aware you could navigate to an address in your phone, or operate the radio with voice commands...
      09-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Cozza, I think it's Business Nav as there's no perspective view. According to the manual I downloaded (pages 235-238) there appears to be just about nothing that you can't do via Voice Commands. I'll be having a play in the morning. Try "Station 92.9".
      09-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
Glad to be getting the 09 idrive. The old version has been around too long.
I'm glad for you too. Bastard. (Hopefully, you haven't been in Belgium too long and can still 'get' Aussie humour)
      09-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
I'm glad for you too. Bastard. (Hopefully, you haven't been in Belgium too long and can still 'get' Aussie humour)
LOL. Consider it got.

Actually, I'm a Kiwi. But I lived in Melbourne for 3 years before I moved to Belgium.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
Actually, I'm a Kiwi. But I lived in Melbourne for 3 years before I moved to Belgium.
Doesn't any Kiwi who sets foot on Australian soil for a microsecond become an Aussie? Several Kiwi bands come to mind :smile:.

Cheers and good night.