BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #23
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post
Franklin the car is so low on your sig pic, looks lowered! Glad to finally meet you this weekend...
good to meet you too! Yeah that pic makes the car look lowered...

Car was the quietest of all...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Was that low flying f15 strike eagle? Dayyyyaaam!
      07-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
I wonder if there's any way to fabricate something like this, or does anyone make such a thing? I agree, Subaru really did it right when they came up with this. Unfortunately it's missing from the newer models. I was also thinking about fabricating some bake ducts as well using these instructions: HERE
My car will be tracked, so both of these mods will be necessary.
Guess you could re-route the head light washers to the intercooler? I know on MINI you could buy a bezel that attached to the IC and re-route the rear window washer to it and use it when you needed a little cool down. Never bought it or knew anyone that tried it but it was a cool concept.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #26
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
Guess you could re-route the head light washers to the intercooler? I know on MINI you could buy a bezel that attached to the IC and re-route the rear window washer to it and use it when you needed a little cool down. Never bought it or knew anyone that tried it but it was a cool concept.
If you're going to go to all that trouble, might as well take full step to methanol injection and directly cool the intake charge.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
If you're going to go to all that trouble, might as well take full step to methanol injection and directly cool the intake charge.

Neil
Methanol injection in the combustion chamber is not the same as cooling the intercooler. These are apples and oranges!

It's a big jump from spraying a little water on the outside of an engine component vs. actually injecting something in the combustion chamber.

You are not sure how the OX sensor will react to Methanol. Artificially cooling the charge could confuse the engine management as the engine running rich and lean the mixture or even allow it to advance to the point when the methanol cuts off, it could detonate.

I'm sure in a full blown race car with careful attention to engine management, etc. this would be a great solution but it's not even in the same ballpark as the simplicity of spraying distilled water on the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #28
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Methanol injection in the combustion chamber is not the same as cooling the intercooler. These are apples and oranges!

It's a big jump from spraying a little water on the outside of an engine component vs. actually injecting something in the combustion chamber.

You are not sure how the OX sensor will react to Methanol. Artificially cooling the charge could confuse the engine management as the engine running rich and lean the mixture or even allow it to advance to the point when the methanol cuts off, it could detonate.

I'm sure in a full blown race car with careful attention to engine management, etc. this would be a great solution but it's not even in the same ballpark as the simplicity of spraying distilled water on the intercooler.
Yes, of course they are different. However, they are both means of cooling the intake charge.

There are now several very sophisticated methanol kits with robust failsafe mechanisms on the market. If you want to check what seems to be the "state-of-the-art" system for N54 motors, you might want to google the Vishnu Tuning Procede with PWM methanol injection. Pretty amazing and well-engineered.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #29
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I was on the track (Ring) this weekend and I am impressed by the cooling. It is big difference compared to the 335i I had before.
Oil temps never went above 125 Celcius, going down to 115 (which is normal operating temps) before I even have arrived on the parking.
My 335 in stock mode I would have on limpmode within one lap on the Ring, with Power Kit within 2 laps. Even with a big Oilcooler, FMIC and airduct I as hitting 135 degrees Celcius.... Really happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
good to meet you too! Yeah that pic makes the car look lowered...

Car was the quietest of all...
Beig a fellow track junkie.....

that Jersey wall sure does come up at you fast when your on the throttle coming out of that turn...doesnt it !!!!!
      08-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

haha...actually the wall this direction is less intimidating (there's alot of room).
The other direction, its an off camber 180 degree turn that's much closer to the wall.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #32
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

+1. I like simple for the DIY projects!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #33
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
was at the track today...ambient temps were in the upper 90s.
Towards the later part of the session, engine temps got close to 3/4, i'd guess maybe 280 degrees...car didnt go into limp mode, but i noticed it didnt pull as hard as the early part of the session, i assume this is heatsoak?
I was in 3rd and 4th only, revving upto 6500rpms at certain parts of the track.

will the intercooler help with the heatsoak?

PFC01 brake pads were awesome, no brake fade at all.

thanks
Franklin
It's most definitely the FMIC heat soaking.

We have spent countless hours on the chassis dyno with our 1M, doing a back to back run will reveal that the FMIC is getting heat soaked with elevated IAT's and the results were much less hp/tq output.

Even an aftermarket FMIC can only do so much...It will eventually heat soak as will. Typcially on the very hot summer day out at Auto Club Speedway, WSIR or BWR an aftermarket FMIC will heat soak about 5 minutes into the session(high boost levels) and the lack of power is very obvious. To combat that the use of meth injection will help or a spray bar to cool off the FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #34
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I had a home made water spray when I had my Subaru WRX.

There's a few DIY articles on waterspray on this website

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_0527/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2720/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2719/article.html

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_107796/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_107797/article.html
Appreciate 0