BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
turbomzi
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M

255/35/19 Front instead of 245 Scraping

I wanted to see if anyone had any issues with increasing the width on the front tires to 255. I recently did and at right before 360 degrees turning the wheel there is a scrape point and then stops so it's only for a certain portion of the steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Honestly is think its dumb. That little increase probably won't give you enough real benefit and you will have the wrong size taller tire that might take away the some of the 1Ms sharpness. You are putting a slightly taller sidewall, it costs more and I believe weighs more. If you do some careful analysis you will see that the actual thread width varies quite a bit within the correct tire size. For example the Yokohama AD08 has a wider thread width than Supersports in 245/35/19 and yet you still retain the proper ///M tuned sidewall height and diameter. Go to tire rack specs and check it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
tach9
Private
Rep
Drives: V.O. 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Honestly is think its dumb. That little increase probably won't give you enough real benefit and you will have the wrong size taller tire that might take away the some of the 1Ms sharpness. You are putting a slightly taller sidewall, it costs more and I believe weighs more. If you do some careful analysis you will see that the actual thread width varies quite a bit within the correct tire size. For example the Yokohama AD08 has a wider thread width than Supersports in 245/35/19 and yet you still retain the proper ///M tuned sidewall height and diameter. Go to tire rack specs and check it out.
Have to disagree with you here...I have put 255-35-19 on the front and rear 275-35-29 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on. The increase in size was not for performance applications. I am the 2nd owner of my 1M and the previous owner like to park by feel so he curb rashed the wheels a bit. With the added width of the 255/275, the tire slightly sticks out past the wheel allowing for a bit of protection from curbage. Now with that said, the fronts do rub a bit, but this is also a know problem with the stock tire size as well. It's well defined in separate posts about the fender liner rubbing issues. I get a slight rubbing when turning lock to lock to the left, but it's not bad. With only 10mm wider tire, there isn't any performance increases, but there is also no performance losses either. Yes the wider tires do cost a bit more but not significantly so IMHO. The wider tires do nothing to "take away" from the turn in from stock at all...Just my 2 cents and experience...

tach9
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here are the thread widths:

Michelin supersport 245 and 255 have the same thread width of 9.2"
But 255 has slightly larger sidewall and is ~1 lb heavier.

Yokohama Advan AD08 245/35/19 thread width is 9.4" unfortunately it's also ~ 3 lbs heavier than stock Michelin and ~2 lbs heavier than 255 Michelin and the won't last as long but man you will some real performance from those tires. Judging by all the loaded 1Ms I don't think most people care about weight so I would consider a softer higher dry performance tire. If you're smart you drive your 1M like an old lady in the rain anyway! : ). I do!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Respectfully if the driver is hitting curbs the problem is not the tires. I have 18k miles in my 1m and some of 1300 of those came in Europe on narrow cobblestone Swiss and Italian roads. Not one bit of rash! My e46 I sold with 85k miles and had it 7 years. No rash on my BBS rx wheels. Acura tax no rash. Subaru legacy gt one tiny scrape..... Wife. Sentra SER no rash. Jetta GLI ... Scirocco S no rash. I work in IT and were are constantly asked to develop solutions for people that don't know the basics. I'm sorry but I would worry about someone driving such a hi PO car that can't even park.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomzi View Post
I wanted to see if anyone had any issues with increasing the width on the front tires to 255. I recently did and at right before 360 degrees turning the wheel there is a scrape point and then stops so it's only for a certain portion of the steering.
I'm runnin the same tyres and "had" the same issue;

I changed the front inner liners and now have way more clearance.

FYI changing the liners can be done under warranty. Check with your dealership
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tach9 View Post
Now with that said, the fronts do rub a bit, but this is also a know problem with the stock tire size as well. It's well defined in separate posts about the fender liner rubbing issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
I changed the front inner liners and now have way more clearance.
FYI changing the liners can be done under warranty. Check with your dealership
See this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682196
      04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
turbomzi
Private
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I understand the no performance gains, but this was merely for looks and honestly, I can say there is not much difference. I do think if I did 245 Micheline super sport instead of 255, I would have had the same problem just slightly less unless I went with stock tires which are ridiculous for the tread life, price, and performance combo. Thanks for the link.

anyone tried vredestein ultrac sessanta on their car? I was recommended these for their performance and tread life and unique characteristics of the steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Respectfully if the driver is hitting curbs the problem is not the tires. I have 18k miles in my 1m and some of 1300 of those came in Europe on narrow cobblestone Swiss and Italian roads. Not one bit of rash! My e46 I sold with 85k miles and had it 7 years. No rash on my BBS rx wheels. Acura tax no rash. Subaru legacy gt one tiny scrape..... Wife. Sentra SER no rash. Jetta GLI ... Scirocco S no rash. I work in IT and were are constantly asked to develop solutions for people that don't know the basics. I'm sorry but I would worry about someone driving such a hi PO car that can't even park.

Doh! have to admit I rashed two of my wheels pretty good. First time ever i have done this. Still feel like a schmuck. I turned in and early apexed and made contact with a curb completely by accident in the dark (white line could stand to be freshened in the area but it's 100% my bad.. ) ... I was thinking that I would make contact with the tire... so I didnt really TRY at all to swerve and save it.. got home and yeah.. nowhere near enough meat there to protect the wheels...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Tire stagger is worth bringing up here. The 255/ 30 front would, if used with the stock rear, cut the tire stagger in half, which could be an issue:

The 1M comes with front tires .5" smaller in diameter than the rear, and the usual advice is to try to maintain that to keep the ABS and traction control happy. Traction control, for example, works by looking at the difference between front and rear wheel speeds to decide if the rear wheels are slipping. If you make the front wheel OD bigger without also increasing the rear (not saying that's what the OP did) that can confuse the car. Since the rear is turning relatively faster the car assumes the rear is slipping more than it actually is, and the TC kicks in sooner. Same thing in reverse with ABS under brakes.

Not sure how big an effect this is on the 1M as I haven't tried it, but it's worth keeping in mind. I try to stay close to the stock .5" difference, even if the actual OD isn't the same.
      04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
AD08 is only marginal faster than PSS in the dry, but is no comparison to PSS in the wet. However, we are all awaiting on the feedback for the AD08R that has just come out. It is supposed to be close to 2s faster in the dry compare to AD08 on a 1' track.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=M3 Adjuster]
Quote:

Doh! have to admit I rashed two of my wheels pretty good. First time ever i have done this. Still feel like a schmuck. I turned in and early apexed and made contact with a curb completely by accident in the dark (white line could stand to be freshened in the area but it's 100% my bad.. ) ... I was thinking that I would make contact with the tire... so I didnt really TRY at all to swerve and save it.. got home and yeah.. nowhere near enough meat there to protect the wheels...

Mark no one is perfect I'm sure I will rash a wheel one day but like you I don't consider it a Normal occurrence but a lapse in vision or attention which is human. I left my scirocco in reverse in one of my first autocross starts and launched backwards when I was 19 or so but I didn't go out and swap the stupid VW gaiter with reverse near first so I wouldn't do it again! Anyway I was trying to demonstrate that different tires have different properties and if rash prevention is sole reason then I would even consider a tire in correct size with bigger protection lip. I tried different sizes on my car and kept finding the stock size best. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
turbomzi
Private
Rep

I did replace the rear with 275s so the rear has been increased as well.
Appreciate 0