BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_alchemist View Post
Seems pretty standard UK criteria to me - whereas US mags are obsessed with numbers, Autocar, CAR, EVO et al are more concerned with day-to-day, point-to-point speed; the combination of handling and usable grunt.

The statement should read: "in day-to-day driving in the real-world, the 1M will probably be faster than the M3 point-to-point."
So, i am gathering that the 1M is the ideal ripper around town and the M3 is king of the highway... Is that fair assessment of the statement?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #25
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
So, i am gathering that the 1M is the ideal ripper around town and the M3 is king of the highway... Is that fair assessment of the statement?
As long as the highway is in Germany, and 'town' includes back-roads, then yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #26
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As long as the highway is in Germany, and 'town' includes back-roads, then yes.
I see that you have a 1M. Have you owned or driven any of the M3's? If so, what are you finding different between the cars? What do you like better about one or the other?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #27
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
29.4mpg (combined)? That I find hard to believe...
      04-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #28
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I see that you have a 1M. Have you owned or driven any of the M3's? If so, what are you finding different between the cars? What do you like better about one or the other?
I don't have a 1M... yet. Delivery should be some time next month.

I have had a Z3M Coupe (Euro-spec S50) and two e46 M3s (one manual and one SMGII). I'm hoping that the 1M is closer to the Z3 than the e46, but I won't know till it arrives.

The reviews give me hope (the UK mags - having grown up in the UK and understanding their mentality and point-of-view, it's their opinion I tend to trust).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #29
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have a 1M... yet. Delivery should be some time next month.

I have had a Z3M Coupe (Euro-spec S50) and two e46 M3s (one manual and one SMGII). I'm hoping that the 1M is closer to the Z3 than the e46, but I won't know till it arrives.

The reviews give me hope (the UK mags - having grown up in the UK and understanding their mentality and point-of-view, it's their opinion I tend to trust).
OK, looking forward to your review once you get it and start putting miles on it...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Also slightly faster on long winded leg stretchers like the Nordschleife circuit
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Also slightly faster on long winded leg stretchers like the Nordschleife circuit
Yes.

M3 = 8:07
1M = 8:12

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464652
and
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m3_e92.html Notice the Hockenheim Short time here.

Last edited by Pauldramos; 04-26-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
JimBilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting for the 1M

Quote:
"No, it has its own distinct character and, in real-world terms, is a good deal faster than its more expensive sibling." I don't understand this comment. Faster? Top speed? I am not following... Somebody elaborate?
If you are cruising along at a lazy 2000 or 2500 RPM's and get on the gas, the 1M will accelerate faster than an M3. This is due to the 1M's broad torque band. If you are cruising along at that engine speed in an M3, you will have to downshift maybe even two gears and be more aggressive with the car to get near the M3's acceleration potential. However, if you are on the track in an M3, you will always be at relatively high RPM's, in car's peak performance range and the M3 may or may not be faster than the 1M.

So in everyday driving the 1M is closer to it's max acceleration potential without going to "extraordinary" means.

That said, when I test drove an M3, it was a hell of a lot of fun to downshift to high RPM's and let it rip!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #33
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I think I read couple days ago that forged crankshaft is the "thing" in the 1Ms engine. I think they referred it exactly as "expensive forged crankshaft".

M3 is a phenomenal machine, but just too big for my taste. As for me, I don't think I will get 1M either. I will keep my 128i, when it gets old enough, probably in 3 years due to 130 miles a day pace, Transplant a S65B40 hahaa
      04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Quote:
with a long-winded clutch action and relatively long (if precise) throws.
I sat in the 1M at Detroit and went through the gears 7 or 8 times. The shifter was almost Miata like so I'm a bit confused by the "long throws" statement. It was perfect IMO.
      04-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #35
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
I think I read couple days ago that forged crankshaft is the "thing" in the 1Ms engine. I think they referred it exactly as "expensive forged crankshaft".
All N54s have a forged crankshaft

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #36
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

very nice.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #37
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
All N54s have a forged crankshaft
Why would a review underlines a known fact on 1M review? That doesn't make much sense...Could it be improved by somesort?
      04-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #38
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

It’s not a junior M3, as many suggested it would be. No, it has its own distinct character and, in real-world terms, is a good deal faster than its more expensive sibling.

-first, in curvy mountain roads, i think 1M will be faster than M3(Hockenheim).
-second, sound makes car feel faster. M3 is louder than 335is or z4 isdrive. i believe 1M is louder than those 2 cars too.
-third in relation to first example, 1M should be faster around slow corners.

i am not saying 1M is faster than M3 all the time. in straights and high speed corner, M3 probably faster than 1M. each car has different characteristics. I am just happy BMW has created a cool car by using M3 parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajohehe View Post
It’s not a junior M3, as many suggested it would be. No, it has its own distinct character and, in real-world terms, is a good deal faster than its more expensive sibling.

-first, in curvy mountain roads, i think 1M will be faster than M3(Hockenheim).
-second, sound makes car feel faster. M3 is louder than 335is or z4 isdrive. i believe 1M is louder than those 2 cars too.
-third in relation to first example, 1M should be faster around slow corners.

i am not saying 1M is faster than M3 all the time. in straights and high speed corner, M3 probably faster than 1M. each car has different characteristics. I am just happy BMW has created a cool car by using M3 parts.
Look at the official time at Hockenheim Short not just the most recent Sport Auto test. Funny how Sport Auto failed to mention the M3's faster lap time...
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m3_e92.html

I am looking forward to seeing this much data on the 1M not just a few possibly biased reviews...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
This line seemed to suggest blistering midrange acceleration. SHould be fun to drive, but I don't buy it. Having driven a 335is with the same engine, it certainly isn't "a good deal faster than its more expensive sibling". Shaving a couple of hundred pounds will make the 1M faster than the 335is, but I doubt the above line.

I don't see why the 1M has to be measured against the M3 all the time. It's a fantastic car. Isn't that enough? Has BMW become so bereft of competitors that all we are left with is comparison with other BMW models?
I guess you missed the direct reference to the Audi RS3 in the article?

Oh... and it was BMW that put the 1M up against the M3 first.... of course it was an E30 M3....

Aside from that though, E9x M3 owners shouldn't resent the 1M at all... the 1M has so many M3 parts....
The 1M is definitely a more fun car than the E9x.... much more nimble, less weight... as someone said earlier, the M3 E9x is a much better GT, whereas the 1M is a better corner carver for back roads and the track due to the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-26-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #41
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I've been saying that since 2008 when the 135 was compared to the 335 and almost nothing else. It's just the way it is...
Have you driven the competition? They don't make anything comparable so yes, all we have is to compare BMWs to other BMWs.

Mercedes and Audi make plenty of great cars and for many buyers they are superior to the BMW counterpart, but they feel very different to drive. I hardly ever meet someone who is cross shopping a BMW, Mercedes and Audi, they typically have a clear favorite because of the three very different ways these companies go about making their cars.

The internet makes it seem as though the 1M and Audi TTRS are competitors but I guarantee that fewer than 5% of buyers of either model will have had a hard time choosing one over the other, for most it's clear which one is their favorite.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #42
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Have you driven the competition? They don't make anything comparable so yes, all we have is to compare BMWs to other BMWs.

Mercedes and Audi make plenty of great cars and for many buyers they are superior to the BMW counterpart, but they feel very different to drive. I hardly ever meet someone who is cross shopping a BMW, Mercedes and Audi, they typically have a clear favorite because of the three very different ways these companies go about making their cars.

The internet makes it seem as though the 1M and Audi TTRS are competitors but I guarantee that fewer than 5% of buyers of either model will have had a hard time choosing one over the other, for most it's clear which one is their favorite.

True
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #43
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

with a jb+ tune and muff delete im prolly runing 12.5 low 13"s and ill tell you you will keep up with the m3 till about a 140 after that you toast i did this run over 15 times already with a good launch best speed i was able to get to before the m3 pasted me was 145ish. And it bothers me how inaccurate the speedo are in our cars looks like im going 170 mean while im doing 155 ish idk idk idk
      04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #44
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

Anyone who doesn't cross shop with at least one other brand is crazy! At the very least it is helpful to reaffirm that your number 1 choice is superior and the best value.

That said, though they are quite different in many ways, Audi and Porsche seem to be the closest brands to BMW in terms of performance - Merc in terms of level of luxury.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0