BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #45
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

If you want to tighten up the 1 series suspension I'd suggest a few important mods.

Stage 1: Better dampers and springs.
Stage 2: Upgrade rear sub-frame bushings + M3 front sway bar.

Ideally you should do it all at the same time. The dampers will improve the car a lot, but you will still have rear end instability and weird handling when you push the car. IMO, the stock rear subframe bushings are close to being unsafe in the 1 series. Also with the stock sub-frame bushings the car tends not to track completely straight, which was annoying to me. If cost wasn't an issue, I would say that every 1 series owner should get the sub frame bushings upgraded straight away.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #46
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Any general set up tips with Yellows? I know that is opening up a massive can of worms... Just thinking about my car personally, it seems like they would do well set up pretty stiff up front, and medium, to medium-soft in the rear.
Really depends on the springs, what bars you're running, tire setup (staggered?), etc.

With an otherwise stock car, you might be inclined to run them a bit softer up front, and stiffer in the rear. Generally speaking, stiffening the front over the rear is going to lead to more understeer, vs. less, so it really depends on where your starting point is.

All other things being equal, while I love crisp turn-in as much as the next guy, I'm inclined to perhaps run softer up front, and a but stiffer in the rear as a general rule with street cars prone to push. Also, helps with the ride quality.

Honestly, for a street car start them a hair turned off of full-soft front and rear, unless you're running significantly stiffer springs. I'd say full soft, but some people don't like setting them at the end of the adjuster (I've never had a problem in 150 miles over two cars...but just to be safe, dial in an 1/8th or so just to appease the masses).

If you regularly track:

Not sure about the yellows for the 1er...but on other cars it's hard to adjust the rear (need to remove), and easy to do the fronts. So setting a bit stiffer in the rear allows you to leave them alone between street and track, and you can adjust between soft and a bit harder on the fronts when you get to the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #47
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Honestly, for a street car start them a hair turned off of full-soft front and rear, unless you're running significantly stiffer springs. I'd say full soft, but some people don't like setting them at the end of the adjuster (I've never had a problem in 150 miles over two cars...but just to be safe, dial in an 1/8th or so just to appease the masses).

If you regularly track:

Not sure about the yellows for the 1er...but on other cars it's hard to adjust the rear (need to remove), and easy to do the fronts. So setting a bit stiffer in the rear allows you to leave them alone between street and track, and you can adjust between soft and a bit harder on the fronts when you get to the track.
Usually 1/4 turn off full soft is the go to starter street setting. According to both TCK and Koni when I spoke when them, leaving the strut at the full soft setting will cause damage.
      01-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #48
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Really depends on the springs, what bars you're running, tire setup (staggered?), etc.

With an otherwise stock car, you might be inclined to run them a bit softer up front, and stiffer in the rear. Generally speaking, stiffening the front over the rear is going to lead to more understeer, vs. less, so it really depends on where your starting point is.

All other things being equal, while I love crisp turn-in as much as the next guy, I'm inclined to perhaps run softer up front, and a but stiffer in the rear as a general rule with street cars prone to push. Also, helps with the ride quality.

If you regularly track:

This post is so full of innuendo that I am finding it very difficult to stop myself from making jokes...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #49
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
This post is so full of innuendo that I am finding it very difficult to stop myself from making jokes...
PrematureApex = generally full-soft.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #50
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
/thread
      01-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #51
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #52
Garabins
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I will set the Yellows a 1/4 turn from full soft, and run them with the H&r Oe springs. IMO this combination should be sporty but yet comfortable enough for these terrible Michigan roads.

(Bought the car with H&r race springs on stock dampers = the ride was stiff and bouncy!..Switched to stock springs/stock dampers = the ride is soft and floaty)

I don’t see many threads on the H&r Oe spring. Anyone have any experience with these? They are marketed to have similar spring rates as the oem springs, but give the car a modest 1" drop, which is what I'm looking for.

2010 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #53
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

No experience with the OE on the 1er, but have had them on several previous cars. Perfect choice for those that drive in the winter IMHO.

I am still deciding on the H&R OE or the Swift R's myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #54
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

The BMW Performance springs may also be a good call. Nice ride, slight lowering.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #55
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

My experience with H&R is that they tend to focus more on the drop than other aspects of suspension tuning. I would personally get Eibach, Vogtland, or Swift before them.
      01-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #56
The Dowager Countess
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i M sport.

i am really, really happy with koni yellows and swift springs. i've got the rears set at about 80% from the stiffest setting and the fronts at about 60% and it feels great.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #57
Garabins
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

There are tons of great reviews on the Koni yellows, so I’m definitely set on getting those! I can’t find many reviews on the H&R Oe Springs, but did find good feedback from people who paired the Eibach Pros with the Yellows. It wouldn’t be a big difference in drop compared to the H&r Oe springs, only about .2" more all around. Also the Eibach Pros have a nice even drop..so I'm considering giving that combination a go!

What’s the best place to buy the Koni Yellows/eibachs, I couldn’t locate any packages. It looks like I have to purchase everything separately.

2010 135i
Appreciate 0