BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
SpaceE82
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

I'm crazy lucky

I have had my car for a little over two weeks, a 2012 135i DCT.

Today I was cleaning out my engine bay and noticed that my charge pipe wasn't the OEM plastic piece, it was definitely aluminum. So I was like awesome I already have an aftermarket charge pipe for when I decide to go JB4.

While driving today I thought to hit the down arrow and volume button just for fun to see if I already had JB4 on my car.

And god damn I freaking did! The system had been disabled. I put it in map 1 and felt the power and fell in love. So basically I had roughly $800 of parts I was probably going to purchase already on the car! How lucky am I?

Anyone else have this or something similar happen to them?

-Evan
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

That is awesome...now switch it to 5.

Even better.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

It wasn't a surprise, but the 128i I bought last month came with a Burger BMS Power Box and a Bilstein/Eibach setup. I was certainly planning to do the suspension upgrade at some point, so that saved me a good bit. The BMS was a nice little bonus.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

thats a great story, Id be very happy with all that new found HP as well! definitely some great savings on car parts.

But to play devil's advocate, did the owner not disclose this info when buying the car? That would make me very skeptical on what other info the PO might have not disclosed/what info he did disclose might be questionable if you find other "surprises" about your car.

If i'm selling a modified car, the mods are all over the for sale ad, hell I would even brag about them in my for sale ad because of the hard work/money Ive put into my car when modifying it, hoping to find a buyer who appreciates the work/money into the car and feels the same way.

Not trying to be a dick, but I just have trust issues with buying used cars and am very anal/carefull about the details esp on a used car.

Just my 2 cents, I hope you don't have any issues with your car and enjoy your ownership to the full potential!! and welcome to the 1addicts fam!
      08-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
SpaceE82
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

I bought the car from a Dodge Jeep Ram dealership. I think they got the car off trade so I guess the previous owner didn't disclose the modifications
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #6
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
thats a great story, Id be very happy with all that new found HP as well! definitely some great savings on car parts.

But to play devil's advocate, did the owner not disclose this info when buying the car? That would make me very skeptical on what other info the PO might have not disclosed/what info he did disclose might be questionable if you find other "surprises" about your car.

If i'm selling a modified car, the mods are all over the for sale ad, hell I would even brag about them in my for sale ad because of the hard work/money Ive put into my car when modifying it, hoping to find a buyer who appreciates the work/money into the car and feels the same way.

Not trying to be a dick, but I just have trust issues with buying used cars and am very anal/carefull about the details esp on a used car.

Just my 2 cents, I hope you don't have any issues with your car and enjoy your ownership to the full potential!! and welcome to the 1addicts fam!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I'd never buy a car that was already modified because that shows the car has been beat on and leads you to wonder why the PO decided to sell it. Oh btw, I subscribed to your channel Neiman
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceE82 View Post
I bought the car from a Dodge Jeep Ram dealership. I think they got the car off trade so I guess the previous owner didn't disclose the modifications
Awesome. Can't go wrong with a free-to-you charge pipe and JB4!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

That's a solid find lol. I'm pretty sure I would have nearly pissed myself if i saw the gauges do their dance and the console light up hahaha.
      08-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceE82 View Post

Anyone else have this or something similar happen to them?

-Evan
Yeah. This happened to me too! On my old Mazda, I discovered completely by accident, that if I pushed the button labeled A/C so that the light went off, I suddenly had about 15% more horsepower available. Zero to 60 in less than 20 seconds, baby!

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43728.50
Dylanize204.00
      08-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Why anyone would WANT a jb4 is beyond me. Flash tune is much better as then the fueling, ignition and cam timing can all be precisely calibrated. Your engine will thank you for a good flash tune and will wish to kill itself with the juice box.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thats great news!

Im surprised you had the car for 2 weeks and have checked your engine bay yet

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'd never buy a car that was already modified because that shows the car has been beat on and leads you to wonder why the PO decided to sell it. Oh btw, I subscribed to your channel Neiman
I disagree. An unmodified car has a higher likelihood of an owner who thinks oil changes are taking care of the car. This is a hasty generalization that is perpetuated on forums where people, who truly care for their cars, modify them. It goes both ways. Ultimately, it depends on WHO you're buying it from.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

A modified car is not a guarantee that the car has been beaten on, but you're probably not going to spend money modding a car and then not take advantage of those modifications.

Still, that doesn't necessarily mean the car has been beaten on. Maybe the PO just enjoyed driving spiritedly and he wanted more than the stock car had to give.

I put a modest tune on my car and enjoy it all the time but never beat on it. Just the opposite. These cars are meant to have fun in.
      08-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

BTW, I consider "beating" on a car to be slamming on the brakes and the gas ALL the time, taking it to the redline in every gear, again, ALL the time, etc.