BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
oerthebars
Rep
Drives: 128i

New member / future owner looking for advice.

Hi all, Eli in Utah USA here for my first post. Sold my last car (wrong wheel drive Fiesta ST) and decided to find a nice 128i. Sure the thrust of the turbo car is cool but I'll get in enough trouble as-is.

I'm an experienced road racer that just wants a reliable (enough) right-wheel-drive fun street car.

So I'm looking for a 6sp manual (duh) with m-sport and have a few questions:

1. Theres a good car nearby (which is rare) but no sport package. I certainly am picky about supportive seats and performance suspension. A local car at a good price + aftermarket suspension + sport seats from junkyard a possible solution? Are there other differences besides suspension and seats?

2. Are there any differences with the '12-'13 cars? I can't really tell a difference.

3. Are there any specific flaws I should be inspecting? From what I've been reading, the high pressure fuel pump on the turbo cars has been the weak link, but I didn't find any general/or 128 specific things to look for.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

You want the sport or m-sport package.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerthebars View Post
Hi all, Eli in Utah USA here for my first post. Sold my last car (wrong wheel drive Fiesta ST) and decided to find a nice 128i. Sure the thrust of the turbo car is cool but I'll get in enough trouble as-is.

I'm an experienced road racer that just wants a reliable (enough) right-wheel-drive fun street car.
Welcome (prospectively) to the crew! To help you out:

1. Theres a good car nearby (which is rare) but no sport package. I certainly am picky about supportive seats and performance suspension. A local car at a good price + aftermarket suspension + sport seats from junkyard a possible solution? Are there other differences besides suspension and seats?
There are more differences, such as ///M trim and bumpers. You could go the route of a standard car and modding it but it won't be close to an M-sport without a lot of money and work. If you want the more custom feel of racing seats/aftermarket coilovers and such then it would be a good route for you. If it's M-sport you want, just get an M-sport and save yourself the headaches.

2. Are there any differences with the '12-'13 cars? I can't really tell a difference.
Minimal differences from '12 to '13.

3. Are there any specific flaws I should be inspecting? From what I've been reading, the high pressure fuel pump on the turbo cars has been the weak link, but I didn't find any general/or 128 specific things to look for.
Water pump and oil filter housing gasket. Other than that the 128's are pretty damn solid. As with any used car, have a trusted 3rd party BMW mech look it over before you buy!!!!

I give the same advice to everyone looking for a new car, if you want something specific, then look for it and get it. Don't settle if it's important to you because you'll just be left disappointed and wanting more.

Good luck on your search! Post up some listings if you want help from some fanatics who look at these cars too much
      07-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Welcome! I went through the same quest as yourself. If you're not concerned about the cosmetic improvements of the M-Sport package, consider this. If you're an experienced road racer, you're going to find the M-Sport suspension lacking anyway. I've done one HPDE and several suspension upgrades on my 128 in the six months I've had it and already feel the need to swap out the factory springs and dampers.

The Sport seats are easy enough to find if the interior is black or tan.

You're right that these are quite hard to find. If you like this one, don't let the lack of M-Sport sway you for any performance reasons. You could always buy the BMW Performance front bumper, which is better for oil/brake cooling upgrades than the M-Sport anyway.

Last edited by squidge; 07-07-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Very hard to find a 6MT in a 128i. Grab it, mod the suspension yourself.
      07-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

Would this be your first BMW? The 1ers are absolutely great cars, but of course they do have their share of problems.

The main trouble causing components are: water pump, and high pressure fuel pump.. Though these might be more common in a '35 because of the turbos putting more strain on both pumps.

IMO sports package is a huge advantage, almost a must. Especially for a '28 which does not come with the many upgrades that a '35 comes with stock. The seats alone are worth it, and the shadowline trim looks great.

I'd say you should definitely go for it. A 3.0 inline six, 6-speed, rear-wheel drive.. can't beat that. Not to mention it's a BMW; good on looks inside and out with amazing handling
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      07-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

I found a base 128i 6MT. It had sport seats and HK stereo and that was it - perfect. I soon ditched the run flats and upgraded to the BMW Performance suspension as well as stiffer front control arms and rear inserts. Huge improvement!! As mentioned even with M sport you'll probably want to upgrade the suspension anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I recently searched for my used 135 to suplement the one i already had. Make a list in order of most important to least. For example here was my list which changed actually the longer i looked.

List in order of importance:
-N54 twinturbo
-Manual
-Coupe
-Lower than 30k miles
-I drive (which i ended up forfeiting and honestly dont regret)
-Leather interior (ended up with leatherette which i do regret) huge difference between feel and comfort
-Msport
Black/white exterior.

Now what i ended up buying because of its awesome condition
2009 135i silver metalic manual 27200 miles business radio(prefer its simplicity) with harmon kardon speakers. I am very happy with the car! Seats i can change/re-upolster.

Since I often get the tuner itch this is now my DD and project car and the other is the garage gem. The JZW tune alone before mods woke the car up with amazing results I had never seen just from a tune before. Then came down pipes/FMIC/charge pipe&BOV and it was another huge bump you cant miss.

So make a list of things you "need" and then things you feel willing to compromise on ;-) good luck and i hope to welcome a new 1er.

Last edited by tommyb13662; 07-08-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
jwinstonc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe M Sport 6MT

Good advice on making a priority list. I did the same. I compromised on the color combo preference. Would have preferred grey or silver but went with black. BUT did get the important stuff: 6MT, M Sport. Sport will handle the same but I prefer the M Sport aesthetics and steering wheel.

The car also has HK stereo and xenons - not must haves for me but really glad I have both now.

My advice (which is what others told me) is take your time and don't settle. Also be willing to order from out of state. I got a great deal on my 2012 128 by shipping the car. Buying process is not as easy but I'm glad I did it. Ended up with the right car at the right price.

There's a blck m sport for sale in Tennessee that I was eyeing before I bought mine:
http://www.graysonbmw.com/certified/...43bad4e3ed.htm

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep i spent about a month looking for mine... you rush you end up not as satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
oerthebars
Rep
Drives: 128i

Thanks for the input! I ended up finding a 2011 128i M-sport white paint and brown leather. I'm really liking it.

I do have a few questions now that I've driven a few hundred miles. perhaps I need to ask these in their respective sections?

1. Ditching run-flats. I plan to buy a square wheel/tire setup and either selling the M-sport wheels/tires or putting winter tires on the M-sport wheels. Even if I get better suspension, I'll probably maintain the M-sport ride height. Does 17x8" +40 with 225/40R17 or 225/45R17 (all 4 matching) sound like the plan?

2. As I don't like electronics too much, I'd like to have the TPMS disabled for summer/winter swaps, etc. Any advice on how I can find someone to do that (coding it out?) Kind of blurry info in my search.

3. Any recommendations on performance street aligment settings? All my rear wheel drive cars have been track only use.

4. Tips on the wire I want to tap for a Passport radar detector?

I've really liked the clutch, shifting, steering, and flat torque curve of this car! Its stable above 100mph, fun to drift, fun to corner without drifting. It's white, so hopefully not an instant cop magnet.

thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I ended up finding a 2011 128i M-sport white paint and brown leather. I'm really liking it.

I do have a few questions now that I've driven a few hundred miles. perhaps I need to ask these in their respective sections?

1. Ditching run-flats. I plan to buy a square wheel/tire setup and either selling the M-sport wheels/tires or putting winter tires on the M-sport wheels. Even if I get better suspension, I'll probably maintain the M-sport ride height. Does 17x8" +40 with 225/40R17 or 225/45R17 (all 4 matching) sound like the plan?

2. As I don't like electronics too much, I'd like to have the TPMS disabled for summer/winter swaps, etc. Any advice on how I can find someone to do that (coding it out?) Kind of blurry info in my search.

3. Any recommendations on performance street aligment settings? All my rear wheel drive cars have been track only use.

4. Tips on the wire I want to tap for a Passport radar detector?

I've really liked the clutch, shifting, steering, and flat torque curve of this car! Its stable above 100mph, fun to drift, fun to corner without drifting. It's white, so hopefully not an instant cop magnet.

thanks all!
A square tire setup with smaller rims (like 17") is the way to go for winter, but I would keep the staggered setup for summer tires; this is what the car is designed for, at least for street use.

As to cops, they are all over the place on the freeways in Utah, especially between Ogden and Provo. If I were you, I'd always keep a small box of donuts clearly visible on the passenger seat, as a goodwill gesture.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lol i have the 135 but im sure the 128 is also an exercise in restraint... an exercise i seem to fail at much more often than i intend. More often than i want to admit i have looked down to see the speedo pegged at 160...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

I must be the only person who doesn't want xenons. had them on my E46 330cic, E39 540i 6m, and have them on my S80 V8, and was glad they weren't on the three pedal, 32k mile '08 128i I bought in June. I probably would not have responded to the ad (car was <10 miles from my house) if it had xenons or was a 135. I would have liked the sport suspension, but that's why we have Koni. If a set of sport seats comes up local I may go for it, but cleaning the plastic seats is so easy. I do miss the lumbar support more than the lateral support except when I am on the track.

Too much hassle when they cloud up. My wife's XC90 headlight clouded up, and for about $125 and five minutes labor the whole housing was replaced. Cant do that with xenons.
      09-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:

thanks all!

Nice car. You will love it. I owned both a 128i sport and a 135 M sport and each has its plusses.

Do the Clutch Delay Valve Delete immediately if you haven't done it. Single greatest free mod in the world.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0