BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #23
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86
If it happens when you hit stop and go traffic or drive slow speeds and is fine on the freeway it may be the fan but if the fan comes on while max a/c is on and there is no fault for the fan then it is probably ok. Usually if your engine is overheating there will be a fault thrown and car will go into limp mode. Makes me think you are overfilling the coolant reservoir. Overfilling will cause coolant cap to release excess coolant/psi. Stop filling as soon as float is at the top of its travel. Also check front of radiator/condenser for blockage such as a plastic bag. Check for kinked hoses. Never use radiator stop leak as it can cause clogs. Only use bmw blue coolant mixed with distilled water. Always use battery charger when bleeding system otherwise bleeding may terminate early. Make sure there is no oil film in coolant tank from a leaking oil filter housing gasket.
Ok that makes sense since I haven't used AC at all since October really. I bled the system and everything went good. It's been too cold here to get oil temps into the 250 zone so I don't know if the issue is still happening but I will find out when it gets warmer. Also the code 2DED showed up again but that has something to do with electronics drawing power.
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #24
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: car is leaking around coolant fill cap again, I really can't figure this out. I put the stock oil cooler valve back in and I was sitting a hair past 250 oil temp and then I got the foggy windshield and steam coming from under the hood. Any more ideas guys? The fan didn't kick on and I didn't get any coolant warnings or limp modes but it's also 32 degrees outside so I don't think the fan would come on. Any ideas?
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx View Post
Update: car is leaking around coolant fill cap again, I really can't figure this out. I put the stock oil cooler valve back in and I was sitting a hair past 250 oil temp and then I got the foggy windshield and steam coming from under the hood. Any more ideas guys? The fan didn't kick on and I didn't get any coolant warnings or limp modes but it's also 32 degrees outside so I don't think the fan would come on. Any ideas?
So... you've replaced the coolant screw cap, then the entire expansion tank - and your still having the same problem ? Have you tried bleeding the cooling system?

Also... you have a 2008 and these cars are know for the water pump not to last much past 50K miles. How many miles on your car? I think you have a bad waterpump/thermostat.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #26
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
So... you've replaced the coolant screw cap, then the entire expansion tank - and your still having the same problem ? Have you tried bleeding the cooling system?

Also... you have a 2008 and these cars are know for the water pump not to last much past 50K miles. How many miles on your car? I think you have a bad waterpump/thermostat.

Dack
I replaced the coolant cap, coolant tank, and bled the system multiple times. I know my waterpump is working because when I bled the system I could hear it. Also the previous owner said the waterpump and thermostat were replaced right before I got it, however he never gave me a receipt but I trusted it because he gave me receipts for everything else.
What is the oem waterpump manufacturer? I looked at it earlier today when I changed my oil and it said continental on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:18 AM   #27
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Just broke 90k and It was supposedly done at 80k
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:37 AM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
What is the oem waterpump manufacturer? I looked at it earlier today when I changed my oil and it said continental on it.

I believe the new pumps are made by Pierburg.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 03:36 AM   #29
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:

I believe the new pumps are made by Pierburg.
If this really is my original pump I guarantee it's the problem, I'll look into it and try to bug the PO and see if he really did do it or not
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 03:39 AM   #30
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone know of a way to check if it's the original pump or not?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 03:40 AM   #31
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine looks just like this, looks like it might be a replacement
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #32
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

My replacement said Continental. OEM said Siemens VDO, but read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDO_%28company%29
      02-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #33
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon
My replacement said Continental. OEM said Siemens VDO, but read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDO_%28company%29
Hmm so looks like it has been replaced, it's possible I could have gone bad again or I got a bad part?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #34
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Could be just what was on the shelf. The purchase was 2007 but that doesn't mean manufacturing and stock instantly changes.
      02-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #35
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon
Could be just what was on the shelf. The purchase was 2007 but that doesn't mean manufacturing and stock instantly changes.
I guess my car could have got the continental oem but i still kind of doubt it. It looks really new and is still that silver color
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #36
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Checked my coolant today and it wasn't even low even after the leak out so I'm
Thinking I just over filled it last time. We will see next Time Temps get up
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #37
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

Similar issue.

My coolant light came on and went off a few days ago. Came on again 2 days later I think. I added a little coolant (like 1 cup, because I thought I was missing the floating level gauge and didn't know how much to add, but later researched that the new style in m 2011 is just the yellow 2 step ring gauge) and the light came on again that day (probably because I didn't add enough to do anything). After that I found blue coolant on the ground after parking, which is either from a leak or run-off because I didn't use a funnel and spilled a little bit.
This morning I added half a gallon of distilled water until I finally saw the fluid come up in the expansion tank to the yellow plastic gauge. I drove 20 miles to work and when I parked white steam/smoke was coming out of my hood. Opened the hood and there was a slight strange smell. Obviously the steam/smoke was coming from the expansion tank area, but I'm really confused as to why/what caused it. Did I overfill and it was boiling out? Is there a leak/crack in the tank and the pressure was boiling out from it? Was it excess run-off getting onto the engine (turbo/manifold area) and evaporating? I will check after work if there is a puddle.

Has anybody else experienced this steam or smoke coming from the expansion tank area?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonXV View Post
Similar issue.

My coolant light came on and went off a few days ago. Came on again 2 days later I think. I added a little coolant (like 1 cup, because I thought I was missing the floating level gauge and didn't know how much to add, but later researched that the new style in m 2011 is just the yellow 2 step ring gauge) and the light came on again that day (probably because I didn't add enough to do anything). After that I found blue coolant on the ground after parking, which is either from a leak or run-off because I didn't use a funnel and spilled a little bit.
This morning I added half a gallon of distilled water until I finally saw the fluid come up in the expansion tank to the yellow plastic gauge. I drove 20 miles to work and when I parked white steam/smoke was coming out of my hood. Opened the hood and there was a slight strange smell. Obviously the steam/smoke was coming from the expansion tank area, but I'm really confused as to why/what caused it. Did I overfill and it was boiling out? Is there a leak/crack in the tank and the pressure was boiling out from it? Was it excess run-off getting onto the engine (turbo/manifold area) and evaporating? I will check after work if there is a puddle.

Has anybody else experienced this steam or smoke coming from the expansion tank area?
Sounds like a leak to me. Time to have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #39
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sounds like a leak to me. Time to have it checked out.
Ya that's what I'm also thinking

Car is just out of warranty at 51,400 miles and by 2 months. Would you think this is something that would be covered by the dealer under "good faith"?

I've never taken any of my car's to the dealer, so I don't know how that works. Do I just take it in for them to diagnose and IF they offer to cover it sweet lucky me, but if not I'm stuck paying for it? Because if I'm stuck paying for it then I'll just replace it myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #40
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

Grinchxvx > Pump & Thermo were definitely changed and done so by BMW. If you find anything that suggest otherwise, please let me know.
      02-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #41
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D
Grinchxvx > Pump & Thermo were definitely changed and done so by BMW. If you find anything that suggest otherwise, please let me know.
Yeah it looks brand new under there I've checked it out the last few times I was under the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #42
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonXV
Similar issue.

The reason it steams is because it's either cold outside or it spews out so much it drips down onto the hot parts around the turbos, my car also steams when it's leaks. But I refilled the coolant and bled it a second time and no leaks since. I will keep everyone updated on if it does
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonXV View Post
Ya that's what I'm also thinking

Car is just out of warranty at 51,400 miles and by 2 months. Would you think this is something that would be covered by the dealer under "good faith"?

I've never taken any of my car's to the dealer, so I don't know how that works. Do I just take it in for them to diagnose and IF they offer to cover it sweet lucky me, but if not I'm stuck paying for it? Because if I'm stuck paying for it then I'll just replace it myself.
Yes, I would take it into your dealer and say hey... my car is just two months out of warranty and look what happened. I would expect BMW to at least cover 75% of the repair. They might take your "temperature" and see IF you will pay for the labor IF they cover the parts(water pump, hoses, tank, etc). Its worth a shot - I think.

IF you go to an indi shop... your gonna pay 100% of what ever it costs to repair. Take it to your dealer and see what they say is wrong.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #44
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

Grinchxvx > Ah okay, was about to rip BMW to shreds -- LMAO!

While I was going thru the conversion, I experienced something similar. I had to drain the coolant twice. That damn needle/measurement-instrument...is a real PITA!

The first time -- I had the low-coolant symbol as well -- filled up, and it threw up all over place. The second time I drained it, I added an entire container of fluid but still ran low. I found that my fan wouldn't work properly either (for whatever reason), when the coolant level was low.

I waited till morning, when the car was completely cold and filled up slowly till the needle came up. Nothing after that. It's been perfect.