BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
135iCab
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabrio

Garage List
Dinan Stage 2 v Stock - my dyno results

I haven't seen a dyno result for Dinan Stage 2 v Stock, so I thought I'd post my results here. There were no other mods on the car. I have also attached the raw data text file as well. The red is the best Dinan run and the blue is the best stock run. The runs were performed on the same dyno about a week apart in very similar conditions. The change in peak HP and TQ was 36 rwhp and 57 rwtq. The maximum gain of the Dinan Stage 2 over Stock was around the peak torque level at 4,500 rpm and was a gain of 58 rwhp and 69rwtq.

My initial impression of the tune was pretty much reflected in the dyno numbers. At the low end of the rev range, I didn't really feel much difference, but once over 3,500 rpms, then there's a pretty big difference.

Also, the car seems to be making a more throaty and aggressive sound when opening it up.

I have no experience of any of the competing tunes, but my overall impression is that the Dinan software is ok for people determined to protect their warranty (i.e. substitute part of it for an equivalent Dinan warranty). My car is only 7 months old, so that's why I went the Dinan route. If you're not overly concerned about the warranty implications of tuning, then probably one of the other tunes will serve you better for a lot less money.

I will at some point add the Dinan CAI and exhaust too and I plan to re-dyno after each subsequent installation. In the meantime, gotta save some $$$

I'm still considering whether at some stage I'll add on the special JB+ for the Dinan tune.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt Dinan2vStock.txt (1.9 KB, 394 views)
      07-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Jai2008
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dinan is for people who doesn't need to "save".
2.2k USD tune? 1.1k exhaust and another 1k for the intake...
That is what, 5-6k CDN?

I don't get is, why are you even thinking about JB+?? If something goes wrong, are you going to suck it up or remove it before taking it to the dealer?
If you don't want to pay to play, why did you even get a Dinan to begin with? Just get a Procede or JB3 and BT cable from the start.

Last edited by Jai2008; 07-12-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Cronic
Rep
Drives: wrx

Decent gains, but 2k is pretty steep.

I guess it comes down to the peace of mind, that if shit blows up, you wont be coming out of pocket.

I guess you need to weigh out the pro's and cons.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
135iCab
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai2008 View Post
Dinan is for people who doesn't need to "save".
2.2k USD tune? 1.1k exhaust and another 1k for the intake...
That is what, 5-6k CDN?

I don't get is, why are you even thinking about JB+?? If something goes wrong, are you going to suck it up or remove it before taking it to the dealer?
If you don't want to pay to play, why did you even get a Dinan to begin with? Just get a Procede or JB3 and BT cable from the start.
Dinan is for people who value a new car warranty. [If money wasn't a significant factor, then a warranty wouldn't be important.]

The JB+ idea is for much later. Perhaps after my warranty has expired, or when I just finally can't resist adding the extra horses.

I posted this as information for anyone considering the Dinan tune to help them make their own personal choice.
      07-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iCab View Post
I'm still considering whether at some stage I'll add on the special JB+ for the Dinan tune.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107026

Pretty cool thread, Jim Conforti even chimes in to agree: "one or the other".

adding: The biggest complaint about JB+ compared to JB3 is that JB3 is much smoother, and the biggest complaint about JB3 compared to Dinan is that Dinan is much smoother. That is another reason why I wouldn't stack a JB+ on top.

Last edited by GaryS; 07-13-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Dinan is expensive insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iCab View Post
Dinan is for people who value a new car warranty. [If money wasn't a significant factor, then a warranty wouldn't be important.]

The JB+ idea is for much later. Perhaps after my warranty has expired, or when I just finally can't resist adding the extra horses.

I posted this as information for anyone considering the Dinan tune to help them make their own personal choice.

Dinan has nothing to do with a new car warranty. Dinan just 'insures' your risk that its tune will not create a problem which wouldn't be covered by a BMW warranty in the 1st 50,000 miles.

The question is whether it is worth paying $1500 for that insurance. I cannot think of a single post where someone stayed within map 5 or lower on a JBS tune that ended up with a problem that wouldn't be covered by warranty (remember the law is that there must be a direct link between the aftermarket part and the engine failure). And Map 5 on a JBS is more aggressive than any Dinan tune.

I don't begrudge anyone paying the $1,500 extra for the Dinan tune, but all you are buying is an expensive insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
Dinan has nothing to do with a new car warranty. Dinan just 'insures' your risk that its tune will not create a problem which wouldn't be covered by a BMW warranty in the 1st 50,000 miles.

The question is whether it is worth paying $1500 for that insurance. I cannot think of a single post where someone stayed within map 5 or lower on a JBS tune that ended up with a problem that wouldn't be covered by warranty (remember the law is that there must be a direct link between the aftermarket part and the engine failure). And Map 5 on a JBS is more aggressive than any Dinan tune.

I don't begrudge anyone paying the $1,500 extra for the Dinan tune, but all you are buying is an expensive insurance policy.
That's not entirely true. How many people on the boards with aftermarket parts remove everything every time they go in for service? I'd say the majority. The Dinan warranty is truly about piece of mind and convenience. I get to treat my car as if it were stock. When my car's software gets updated, my SA calls to remind me that I need to get my car reflashed at Dinan. I don't regret it one bit. My car might not be the fastest 1er around, but it's fast enough. If I were to start over, I'd go with the Dinan flash again.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

This the first independent stock vs. Dinan Stg II dyno I've seen performed on the 135i. Thanks for making the effort to share.

I assume your car is a Step?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Thanks for posting, Dinan gets a lot of bashing for price etc. but it does serve a market and serves it well. I was on the fence with it at one point but opted to go another route because I know my personality. Most important thing is that it suits your needs and you are having fun. Enjoy.
      07-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Thanks for posting, Dinan gets a lot of bashing for price etc. but it does serve a market and serves it well. I was on the fence with it at one point but opted to go another route because I know my personality. Most important thing is that it suits your needs and you are having fun. Enjoy.
agreed..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

I have Dinan Stage 2 on my car and love it. The price is retarted and when you live in Canada its worse. I also installed Dinan CAI and just ordered er fmic and charge pipe with tial blow off valve. I just could'nt spend 1700 plus for Dinan fmic. I would like there oil cooler but 1400 plus for this Once i get the oil cooler then exaust I will get Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrikkett View Post
I have Dinan Stage 2 on my car and love it. The price is retarted and when you live in Canada its worse. I also installed Dinan CAI and just ordered er fmic and charge pipe with tial blow off valve. I just could'nt spend 1700 plus for Dinan fmic. I would like there oil cooler but 1400 plus for this Once i get the oil cooler then exaust I will get Stage 3

since u dont have the dinan I/C i dont think they will flash you to stage 3...FYI. I think i may just wait till my warrany expires and tehn switch over to jb3? we'lll see.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smac355 View Post
since u dont have the dinan I/C i dont think they will flash you to stage 3...FYI
Dinan will sell you the Stage 3 flash, but without the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I cant wait to do Dinan Because I will extend the warranty of my car... Im going to have it for a while..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I cant wait to do Dinan Because I will extend the warranty of my car... Im going to have it for a while..
do you mean post 50k miles? i dont think dinan covers you past the 50k even if you get the BMW extended warranty.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
That's not entirely true. How many people on the boards with aftermarket parts remove everything every time they go in for service? I'd say the majority. The Dinan warranty is truly about piece of mind and convenience. I get to treat my car as if it were stock. When my car's software gets updated, my SA calls to remind me that I need to get my car reflashed at Dinan. I don't regret it one bit. My car might not be the fastest 1er around, but it's fast enough. If I were to start over, I'd go with the Dinan flash again.

I agree and feel the same way about my Dinan stage 2 purchase. Having the piece of mind and convenience when taking it in to the BMW dealership. I dont have to worry about what codes they might find or buying a tool to wipe the codes or taking the piggy-back out before taking the car in for service. And most of all, knowing its covered by either BMW or Dinan, should a related issue arise. Dinan stands by his product and I have yet to read a post where Dinan dropped the ball on their coverage.
It is the best $1500 insurance I have ever paid to have that extra power and torque I was lookng for.

Last edited by M2; 07-15-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Thumbs up

Great post 135iCab, thanks for sharing and caring!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
What part isn't entirely true? All warranties are insurance. Dinan is selling you a moderately aggressive tune and insuring that if, specifically, their tune (or any other mod that they sell) creates a problem that voids your warranty in the first 50,000 miles, they'll fix it. After that, you are on your own.

Of course, if you purchase other mods (other than Dinan), they'll point to that being the cause of the problem (and given their moderate tune, it probably is).

I'd like to hear about ONE person that has had a warranty failure due to a JB3 running at Map 3 - NO OTHER MODS.

Again, I have respect for Dinan - they run a good business and do put out good products. If it's worth it to you to spend $1,500 for the elimination of pulling out a piggyback mod 1-2x per year before you go to the dealer - respect.

End of the day, until you get to the very serious boost pressures and catless mods, the likelihood that a moderate boost will cause any problems in the first 50,000 is almost infinitesimal.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #19
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
What part isn't entirely true?
This part.

Quote:
Map 5 on a JBS is more aggressive than any Dinan tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
A friend of mine has a Dinan stage 2 tune (only) and it's as fast as my JB3 on map 5 with a dual cone intake.
As he goes on to say, Dinan does not support downpipes or meth. But the Stage 2 tune is as powerful as any tune that is safe to run with stock FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Did you get boost numbers with that dyno run? That dip and spike between 4200-4400 RPM is strange, especially that it exists in stock form and the Dinan tune greatly exaggerates it. Automatic tranny?

Thanks for posting the comparison!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
135iCab
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yes, AT step. No, unfortunately, no boost data.

I went to the circuit for the first time since getting Dinan with a noticeable positive performance. But (and its a big but) the car would lose power after just 3 or 4 laps. It would limp through a few corners and then full power would come back online. Previously, as stock, it would run a full 20-minute session without any problems.

It was a hot evening (~28-30 degrees C) but still 3-4 laps seems pretty quick for it to give up! I informed Dinan about it and they want to take a look at it.
      07-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #22
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
This part.

As he goes on to say, Dinan does not support downpipes or meth. But the Stage 2 tune is as powerful as any tune that is safe to run with stock FMIC.

Gary,
Dinan with no other mods can not, and has not ever dyno'd higher than the highest non-moded BMS or Proceed tune. Both BMS and Proceed run about 20HP higher with no other modifications.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508
Appreciate 0