Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Lightbulb 1M Coupe pre-drive review from an E30 M3 owner / Driving Instructor

Name:  m3adjuster.jpg
Views: 11397
Size:  41.7 KB

I am one of the three Americans selected to attend the 1 series M coupe event.

My application details included my history with BMW CCA, where I am a lifetime member, having joined the club in 1993 when I purchased my first E30 M3. I have been very active with BMW CCA, beginning with autocross in 1994, my first driving event in 1997, moving up to instructor in 2001, and I currently am the Chief Driving instructor and President of my local chapter. I have attended six Oktoberfest events across the United States, and driven on over a dozen race circuits in the US, and I still autocross competitively monthly. My experience on track includes E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3, 335, a few Porsche 911 variants, Mazda Miata, and of course I have traveled around in the passenger seat of many vehicles while instructing. I currently still own a track prepped E30- M3, and like many E30 M3 owners, have been hoping to see BMW produce a performance car with similar characteristics as the E30... lightness, superior handling, and incredible agility.

Nearly 7 years ago, myself and several Dallas Fort Worth area E30 M3 comrades were excited to hear of what was originally billed a two series, with rumors of an M2. We rushed to a local dealer to put our names in for such a car. As more details came out, the car was then dubbed the 1 series, and the hatchback models were deemed not able to be sold in the US, after the E36 318ti was brought over and was roundly deemed a flop. The 318ti actually was a very decent car, it simply was under powered, and thus it never sold well. Regrettably, BMW NA still continues to be afraid to bring a hot hatchback to the US, while such cars sell by the thousands in Subaru WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, and VW R32 guise . However, we had cause for excitement, when hearing that a 1 series coupe was being developed, however only 128 and 135 models came into production. So, as details have come out that the BMW M division would indeed produce a 1 series M model, I signed up at the closed room, and then of course immediately submitted my name to be the first to drive the 1, and I never could have imagined that I would win such a contest!

After a long 12 hour flight, the participants settled in at he Leipzig Westin on Nov 17th, and we were treated to dinner by our hosts from marketing and the BMW M division. We were asked to sign two short forms.. one acknowledging that we would be recorded, and for BMW to use our likenesses in marketing and advertising, and the second was a request that we not release details of the event to the public until we were given the OK, in order to allow for a video to be produced. The morning of the 18th we were shuttled to the Leipzig plant where we watched a short intro video by Dr. Kay Segler, and then advised we would be split into two groups. One group of six did a factory tour, and the other group of six was to go drive, with the groups alternating and doing the second option after lunch. My group did the factory tour first, and we were able to see every step of production at Leipzig. Our tour guide Fritz had cleverly been advised at what times the 1 series M models would be coming along the different production line " fingers" and we first saw the body of a white 1 M coupe. We were able to see the much bolder rocker panel details, along with the massively flared fender and I realized that this car really does look the part of the boy racer E30 M3!

We next saw the dash being installed into a Valencia Orange car, at which many commented that the orange was actually quite attractive! We went to lunch at the plant along with the workers, and we were then led outside to where there were three 1 series M coupes lined up, still in camouflage, along with an X6 M lead car. We immediately paired off two to a vehicle. There was an engineer, and a few camera people joined us, and they moved from car to car during the driving. We were asked to not pass the lead car, and to not turn off the DSC, and to be honest, with it actively raining, this certainly seemed appropriate!

We set off from the factory, and drove directly to the Autobahn! Large rooster tails formed due to the rain, however we still moved along at over 150 kph.. Taking advantage of being the trailing car, I once dropped back and got a good clean run up to 180 kph (110 mph). The engine exhaust note inside the car was wonderful, nearly rivaling the interior sound of the E92 M3. Acceleration was brisk, and in third gear, there was no flat spot or tailing off, and a shift to fourth placed the car in the center of the power band for continued acceleration. The first thing that I noticed was that under powerful acceleration, the 1M does *not* have the floaty sensation at the front end that I have experienced in the 135/ 335. At the rear of the car, the car had plenty of grip under acceleration, unless one, say... rounded a corner in second, and simply mashed the throttle. Such churlish man-handling in the wet resulted in wheelspin at the rear, with the side stepping smartly sideways before the DSC kicked in to save the day. And by save the day.... I mean just that.... On track or on road, the DSC never killed the party like it does in the E36 M3.. when the DSC kicked in, I'd say it was definitely needed! We turned onto some local roads which went from smooth to eventual cobblestone. While the cobblestone part was excessively bumpy, the ride was still rather good!

One of the engineers riding along suggested I explore the M button, which had been pre-programmed for us. Simply activating the M button gave a much more sensitive throttle response. The engineer advised that throttle response is normally linear until using the M button, where it switches to being much more aggressive. I preferred it on, and if I owned the car, I would probably simply switch it off when perhaps out on a date or with parents or such in the car. We came to a roundabout and switched drivers, and returned back to the factory. The fellow driving along with me was 6'3" and his frame easily fit in the car... Sliding the seat back, there was plenty of legroom for even a taller driver....the seats were manual adjustment, fore and aft, with small buttons on the seat to allow it to electrically move forward to allow rear seat occupants. With a driver 6 foot or under, there was actually plenty of room for me in the rear without hitting my head or feeling uncomfortable in any way.

At the factory, we then went to a test track. The test track is a large oval with a significant kink in one side. The two ends of the oval are second gear corners with banking and Armco at the edge. The back straight is long and straight, and the front straight has a gentle bend that places it parallel to the back straight for most of it's length, however negotiating the same bend at speed at the end of the straight is rather tricky. It's reminiscent of bends mid way down the straight at tracks like Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, and Road America in the US. At this point it was simply I and another participant in our car, and, being two of the more aggressive drivers in our group, we again employed the drop back method. We each attained speeds of 220 kph on the back straight, which required dropping to second gear exiting the curve, and then flat out full power acceleration out of the corner down the straight. The DSC kicked in at the top of second while launching off the corner, then up through the gears to the top of fourth gear. I once touched nearly 230 kph, which meant negotiating the bend at over 200 kph... in the WET.. with it actively raining. The car simply felt rock stable throughout and under braking at the end of the long straight, I waited as late as possible and each time hauling the car down I never reached so far as to activate ABS, but made clean, nearly effortless stops. During the last lap, I did late brake into the corner, provoking under-steer, but as I got into the corner was able to turn in smartly and use a slight lift of the throttle to bring the rear around.....all without DSC interfering.... While I didn't know the conversion to mph, I knew I had just driven nearly as fast I had ever gone on track, *in the RAIN*, and not even in my own car. Later at dinner, someone calculated that 220kph was 135+....

At this point, I thought the driving portion would be over, but we then moved on to a small parking lot with cones! Hooray, an autocross? An actual autocross course would have been terrific, but instead there were two slaloms laid back to back with a left and a right U turn at each end. This was a great opportunity to test the car's balance, and I pushed the car hard out of the box my first time, negotiating a sharp left turn to approach the first slalom, I engaged MASSIVE under-steer.. whoops!!! ok.. so the car can't defy the laws of physics!

My next runs through I concentrated on transitioning and seat of the pants feel and flew through the cones, pushing aggressively, feeling my own smile get wider and wider as I did a second, a third, and then a fourth lap through the slalom... It was now getting on to about 5pm and getting dark outside. One of the engineers then took the wheel and I and another participant hopped in the back seat for some wheel spinning drifting, opposite lock u turns, and an intentional " tank slapper" that had us being thrown about the rear of the car like rag dolls. That's not something one will ever do with an E30! Other than being hugely fun, it again highlighted the phenomenal amount of grip from the chassis and the tires. I took note of the sizes... a massive 265/35/19 at the rear, and 245/35/19 at the front... aah.. yes... the familiar staggered setup that has been prevalent among BMWs in the last several decades. so as to create safe, predictable understeer. Perhaps in the aftermarket a balanced setup can be fitted to the car to really make it neutral..

From the skid pad, we were then taken into a large room in the back of the factory.... There.. under a cover stood a car... and without a great amount of fanfare, the cover was removed so we could see the car in all it's glory.... Valencia orange.... no CF roof... but then again... not surprpising.... In the past, the US M Brand Manager Larry Koch explained to me that the US federalization process would require testing both a CF and non CF version, which is why the E90 comes in CF roof only... no sunroof option on the 2 door model, so no surprise that in a car in the middle of the life cycle that there were no trick new body panels... However... the overall look of the car is completely badass.. Large air ducts at the front for brake cooling.... not X5 M/X6M huge but very well proportioned.... the massively flared rear quarters with those big tires in the rear... . the side mirrors have two-tone openings in them for air flow ala the E36 and E92 M3... The dash is vintage M with red pointers on the dials and a precisely placed M logo.... and of course on the rear a single //M logo....

From our conversations with the M personnel, the weight distribution is 50/50... power at approximately 340 hp (primarily from uprated tolerances and revised ECU mapping) and with a curb weight that will be under 1500 kilos (3300 lbs) this puts the car in the range of the E36 curb weight... with a lot more tire and a great deal more power..... Is this car going to replace the E30 M3... perhaps not.. but it also outperforms the E30 M3 in many ways while also being reminiscent of the E30 M3 in size, and handling. In my mind.... Dr. Kay has indeed delivered a car that IS the full package... it is " M Pure "... easily worthy of the M logos it wears. I wish I could come up with negatives for this car, but to be simply honest, it simply exceeded all my expectations... I went to Leipzig expecting a hit... but instead found a car that is an absolute HOME RUN. Can it be equaled or bettered in the aftermarket by modifying a 135? Probably so.... but such a car will never have the cachet of an M car...nor the resale value... nor will it be the first 1M.... which in time... may prove to be as respected as the E30 M3.

Are there negatives... ?? Well it's always easy to point out the weight if one is talking about the scale...and unfortunately the rain as well as the fact that the test track was mostly an oval may have conspired tohide the fact that the car is over 3000 lbs, however I never felt like I was driving a heavy car, which I have always felt when driving the E46M3 and the E92 M3..... Some won't like the orange stitching on the seats and dash... but standing in a group admiring the car in the flesh... I heard no such complaints. It's a subtle stitching that perfectly contrasts with the black Alcantara and it's also in matching areas on the dash... It's sharp... period! Others may complain that the color palette is minimal.... but the E30 M3 Sport Evo was only available in Jet Black or Brilliant Red. The 1M is going to be available in Alpine White, (Jet?) Black, and Valencia Orange... The orange is not an M3 GTS " Hey look at me! " orange, but more of a burnt orange, and it really looks classy. In time, I imagine it will have an ardent group of followers similar to Henna on the E30 M3. No matter the color... this is a special car!!! There was no indication of pricing, but if this car comes in around 45K.... in my opinion it will be on it's way to being a collectible item.

For those who don't like the color options... maybe you're concerned that you won't have time to keep your 1M clean... well.. perhaps this car is not for you..... well then you can definitely go the aftermarket route on a standard 135 instead... and..get it in blue.. .. yeah ... a really cool Monaco.......

For the rest of us, simply drive it as it is first.... you might just end up walking away with the same irremovable grin that twelve people from around the world were wearing that day in Leipzig... As for me.... that same grin is still there....and I Always Bet On Black!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-24-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
JP-1M171.00
      11-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

This is the review I have been waiting for. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Great review, and well worth the wait!

Neil
(One Lapper in supercharged '99 M Coupe w/Woody Hair as co-driver)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Cameraeye
Ghetto Blasta
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cement Truck

thats the best review ive heard so far!
      11-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Fantastic review mate!

Thanks,

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Wow. Lately I was starting to re-evaluate my desire for this car. The length of the marketing hype cycle was definitely wearing thin on my tolerance for teasing.

This review just pulled me back in and I want one even more. Very well written.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

A great review! Thank you very much!

A couple of questions, if I may:
Could you describe what the engine does when you lift? Does it keep pushing or is there actually drag torque to be felt?

And btw... yes, you were going fast! I drove the identical track (comparing the two tracks via google maps) in Regensburg in the M392 in the dry and I was not that much faster than the speeds you quote. And no, the track layout actually does not let you feel the weight. Had it, I probably wouldn't have ordered my M3.

Thanks again!

Peter
      11-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

about time Mark!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Great review! Thanks for sharing.

It really sounds like the 1M addresses most of the shortcomings that I've heard about, and share, for the 135i. Hopefully more than 2,700 will be built so I can pick one up in the near future.
      11-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Great review ... thanks

This review (together with the other reviews) gives a much better picture about this car ... I'll for sure gonna love it ... somewhen next Summer. The winding roads where I live are waiting for it
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Very well written article.

Perhaps this will be a decently invested CPO later down the line...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Thank you for the very thorough and objective review! Excellent writeup and appreciate your perspective from a pro instructor's point of view!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

fantastic review! one that I have been waiting for! i will keep my deposit for the 1M. hopefully they will do Euro Delivery!

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep
Drives: M5

The seats are alcantara?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
oldschool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i, jcw mini

Great write-up. Thanks for making the effort (I'm sure BMW thanks you as well!)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
M3
///M3
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great write up mate!

One question though, how would you rate the acceleration and the power delivery at higher speeds compare to the 3700lbs V8 M3?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Superb write-up! I feel like I was right there with you. Thanks for spending the time... well done.

As for the car, I'll take mine in Valencia Orange. Hook 'Em!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Thanks for the review, very detailed!

So while doing the factory tour, there was no mention of modified turbos or an upgraded head or valve-train?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #19
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

That was a very good read. Well done!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
1zie
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Awesome review for sure!

I'll be looking for the orange 100%
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
A great review! Thank you very much!

A couple of questions, if I may:
Could you describe what the engine does when you lift? Does it keep pushing or is there actually drag torque to be felt?

And btw... yes, you were going fast! I drove the identical track (comparing the two tracks via google maps) in Regensburg in the M392 in the dry and I was not that much faster than the speeds you quote. And no, the track layout actually does not let you feel the weight. Had it, I probably wouldn't have ordered my M3.

Thanks again!

Peter

The only real negative about the event was that it was raining, (which can't be helped other than picking another time of year) and the track was not really a great test of what would see on a track day. Obviously, one of the issues with tracking the 135/335 is whether or not it will hold up in 75-95 degree heat without going seriously high oil temps. One of the engineers did indicate that they were able to resolve this... time will tell. And of course the other item is how much the car's weight affects it on a true road course. My seat of the pants impression is that it will not be considered grossly overweight.... Agree with you on the E92... it's a car that peforms well despite it's weight.... and the power can really make it get out of it's own way... The 1M didn't feel heavy at all. going into this, I would have said that perhaps a used E92 M3 would be a better option.... but not now.

As far as lifting.. no.. I didn't get a sense of drag... the controls are really quite sensitive,,, heel and toeing is easy.. blipping the throttle around corners to shift was comfortable.. This is of course with the M button switched on.... which really sharpened the throttle response/tip in... etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Thanks for the review, very detailed!

So while doing the factory tour, there was no mention of modified turbos or an upgraded head or valve-train?

no mention of a change to the turbos.. As far as engine internals... simply tighter tolerances and uprated piston rings... No parts changes... Since I don't own a 135... even though we looked under the hood.... I can't comment on size... It was clear from the employees that the N54 was considered superior to the N55, and it also costs more to build.
Appreciate 0