BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

CPS module for your JB4!

Thought I'd officially share the news here. Trolls can feel free not to reply to this thread. I'll add updates as I get them, of course provided this thread doesn't go down the toilet.

Quote:
I'll write up some more info after I've had a chance to finalize a few things. But the short story is we've decided to design an inexpensive CPS module to slip in the JB4 harness. Primarily for large turbo and nitrous cars where we think there will be some benefit but it will be available to anyone. Rather than bother convincing you that you don't need it we'll just offer it as an add on. Makes life easier for everyone. It's going to probably look similar to our drop in SLD (photo of that attached). One of the wires connects to the JB4 to allow it to remap up to 14 degrees of offset based on internal and user adjustable algorithms. The JB+ processor we're using for this right now isn't fast enough to allow for a positive offset but I've ordered a few that are about 50% faster for further testing on that.

Here is an initial 3rd gear pull showing the offset in action. 2.5 degrees down low ramping up to 3.75 degrees up top. 91 octane w/ map 2.

When will it be released:

Quote:
As fast as possible!

Now that I know the 18F processor can keep up to 8000rpm the first order of business is finalizing which one we're going to use. The 18F2431 is tempting as we have a few hundred around from JB3->JB4 upgrades. But I've found another processor that is faster and smaller. So ordered a few of those for further testing. And then of course there is that whole CPS misfire quagmire we'll have to drudge through. The good news is we can assemble these things in house so once the design is final and I know it's misfire free we can crank them out quickly. I'll post updates here as we have them. Hopefully some JB4
logs soon too showing it in action.
How will it work and do I need it:

Quote:
The short term plan is we will tune a worst case offset curve in to the JB4 based on boost, RPM, IAT, gear, and whatever other factors come up during tuning. So maybe 8 degrees of offset @ 6500rpm. Then add a 0-100% user adjustable for you guys to play with.

It's not going to be safer or faster for most. But I've found CPS to be sort of a cult thing. Team CPS will use this module to do JB4 logs showing how great it is and team DME will use this module to do JB4 logs showing how useless it is. So just pick a team. The group with the highest theoretical benefit are those on 91 octane at 13psi+ boost levels. Those with 93 octane will have only a minor benefit. Those on race gas/meth will have zero benefit. Large turbo guys and nitrous guys should have a big safety benefit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
(not a troll post)

mike,
i'm glad to see the jb4 development is going to include some sort of timing control. i'm curious though, you and bms have previously bashed CPS off-setting (as it's used in the vishnu tunes). what made bms change their stance on the concept and move to implement it in the jb4?
Appreciate 0