BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
MarkFC
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i Coupe MSport Auto

DSC Error message

Driving home tonight some warning lights came on, checked the manual and seems to be an error with DSC. Turned car off and on, still there and pressing the DSC button didn't clear the problem. I have to book in next week to have dash storage bin replaced so looks like something a bit more important to be fixed t the same time, anyone else had this happen?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Had it on the 120D, and I know a few people have the same issue and it's usually the faulty optical sensor in the steering wheel. If you go to Coastline for service, ring up Jason and see what he thinks as they might be able to make sure there's parts before you get it in.

Just be careful - I think you might be in TIMYOYO mode.

They are usually pretty good at letting you take it straight in with DSC error. Mind you they don't like you taking the car back until it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFC View Post
Driving home tonight some warning lights came on, checked the manual and seems to be an error with DSC. Turned car off and on, still there and pressing the DSC button didn't clear the problem. I have to book in next week to have dash storage bin replaced so looks like something a bit more important to be fixed t the same time, anyone else had this happen?
Interesting- going OT but I'm having my storage bin replaced too sometime before my 3 years is up as the "button that sometimes does something" has bubbles under the skin from a poor laminate/paint job.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - you might try this...

BMW steering wheel sensor re-setting…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU G BACK..

sit in car,
start engine,
have steering wheel in straight ahead position
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
withouth pasing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2
repeat the last 2 steps and end in the straight ahead position.

turn off car, wait a minute, restart, and drive away for a few hundred feet.

you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

other lights come on by default.

Good Luck...
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Sounds like a SZL failure mate. I had that a while ago.

The easiest way to be sure is if;
DSC is completely off
Turn Signal doesn't self cancel
Hill-hold assist doesn't function

Try what Dackel suggested with fingers crossed, otherwise it's a trip to the dealer. If you are in warranty, should be a breeze. If you're not ask for out of warranty assistance, because it's a very common fault and they do cover you - only if you ask!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Had the same fault twice within 2 months- both times was the SZL (steering wheel angle sensor). In warranty so no charge, but otherwise would've been $2k each time, shit!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
MarkFC
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sparoz, I was going to ask what TIMYOYO stood for but I thought I would google first, all good now thanks.

Mattyv, yep that's also my problem, the finish on the button thing is peeling off.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
MarkFC
Private
Australia
Rep

Took my car into Coastline this morning, they did the tests and have decided to replace a yaw sensor, happy with the outcome except for another trip to the dealer.
Got my dash storage bin replaced, seems to be a different (better) design now.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
jorge135
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Has anyone tried this? Did it resolve the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482

Quote:

sit in car,
start engine,
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
withouth pasing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2

you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

Good Luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.1addicts....p?t=504482</a>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...504482</a></a>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...82</a></a></a>

Quote:

sit in car,
start engine,

Good Luck...
So.......

Bringing this thread back to life because of a panic I had yesterday.

Yesterday, I had to replace the right rear wheel bearing and hub. Car was in a very minor bump in the right rear, and the hub was slightly bent. Vibration above 130 and when braking at highway speeds.

While I had the wheels off, decided to service the brake pads at all four corners. Pulled out pads, cleaned off the contact surfaces and applied a small amount of Brembo brake grease to the ends so the pads release easier.

Put the entire right rear corner back together, wheel speed sensor back in and put the wheels on.

Car was in the accessory position the whole time, and was turning the front suspension from kick to lock as I was servicing the brakes.

Started car to move it to the alignment rack, and instantly got a DSC malfunction, tire pressure warning system malfunction, yellow brake failure warning and hill assist failure.

WTF?!?!? I KNOW I put the bearing in the correct way, I KNOW I did not damage the sensor. Took everything apart and checked. Everything looks perfect.

Perform alignment anyways.

After alignment, all warning lights still on!!!!!

Decided to road test on highway to get a better grasp of what is happening.

As soon as I got on the highway, all lights cleared.

GAH!!!!

Apparently, while I was servicing the brakes, I had accidentally entered the steering wheel centering learning procedure. Just had to drive it to finish it.

Learn something new every day. Thanks Dak for having this post so I could figure out WTF happened. Was worried I had fucked something up with the right rear wheel speed sensor.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
So.......

WTF?!?!? I KNOW I put the bearing in the correct way, I KNOW I did not damage the sensor. Took everything apart and checked. Everything looks perfect.

Perform alignment anyways.

After alignment, all warning lights still on!!!!!

Decided to road test on highway to get a better grasp of what is happening.

As soon as I got on the highway, all lights cleared.

GAH!!!!

Apparently, while I was servicing the brakes, I had accidentally entered the steering wheel centering learning procedure. Just had to drive it to finish it.

Learn something new every day. Thanks Dak for having this post so I could figure out WTF happened. Was worried I had fucked something up with the right rear wheel speed sensor.
Yup. The car had to learn what straight ahead is. Cars are getting so technical these days. Glad your car is 100% now. A friend of mine Elsabor67 is going thru this same problem - after having an alignment done recently.

Dackel
Appreciate 1