Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BMW M Engineer Jürgen Schwenker Provides More 1M Insights

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M Engineer Jürgen Schwenker Provides More 1M Insights
COMMENTS
Name:  1mdiscussion.jpg
Views: 5718
Size:  64.7 KB

BMW M chassis expert Jürgen Schwenker provides some great new insight into the BMW 1M coupe, including chassis tuning, DSC, MDM mode, M button throttle mapping, seats, race brake pads, tires, exhaust, convertible version and more. Questions came from members of the M Power World community. Check out the dialogue below, from M-power.com:

BMW 1 Series M Coupé.
Expert dialogue with Jürgen Schwenker.

24. May 2011

What special modifications were needed after the transplanting of the BMW M3 chassis to the BMW 1 Series?

The kinematics of the chassis, in other words the geometry of the pivot points, link lengths and front and rear axle supports were taken from the BMW M3. The lighter weight means that the front axle support of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé does not need a stiffening plate. In terms of vehicle weight and the shorter wheel base, the springs and dampers have also been readjusted. Other changes were also made to the auxiliary springs and stabilisers, for example the stabiliser on the rear axle has reduced torsional rigidity.

Why is it that the DSC regulator kicks in much more directly in the BMW 1 Series M Coupé, in comparison with the BMW M3 for example?

“DSC on” prevents the back of the vehicle from skidding, while “DSC off” and “MDM mode” are used for targeted drifting. The adjustment we have chosen ensures driving stability and security in critical driving situations, e.g. high transverse acceleration with vertical excitation or strong acceleration in bends for driving stability and security. The special characteristics of the engine in the BMW 1 Series M Coupé – strong torque and spontaneous response – require that the DSC should engage at the decisive moment.

What is the difference between “DSC on” and “MDM Mode”?

The DSC, in other words the regulator, is generally activated a little later in MDM mode. However, the coordination of parameters in MDM has one thing in common in all driving situations: the clear focus is on driving dynamics. For example, MDM mode allows the wheels to spin when there is slip on the rear axle – however only up to a certain level of yaw rate and acceleration (instability). Only then will the regulator kick in.

Would it not have been possible to reduce the weight of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé to closer to 1,400 kilos instead of the 1,570 kilos achieved? After all, a number of body parts had to be redeveloped anyway. What would have been the additional cost for the customer if the 1,400 kg target had been reached?

It is unrealistic to expect a weight reduction of 170 kilos on an existing basic vehicle. The M3 CSL and M3 GTS show where the reasonable limits lie. It would be necessary to develop a completely new car from scratch – which would, of course, also mean a completely different price scale. We were determined to offer a real BMW M that would also allow newcomers to have some fun with the strongest letter in the world. That’s why we are choosing to go with intelligent lightweight construction methods, e.g. light wheels and specific avoidance of insulating mats. The chassis of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé also helps optimise weight. Both the two-joint front axle, as well as the five-link rear axle of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé are made almost completely from aluminium. Tubular stabilisers, axle guides made from forged aluminium and aluminium shock absorbers complete the lightweight concept for the wheel suspension. The weight of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé is precisely the same as that of the previous generation of the BMW M3, with comparable output and much higher torque. The vehicle weighs 1,495kg (DIN kerb weight) (with 90% full fuel tank without driver and luggage); the 1,570 kg specified are the EU standard weight (including 75 kg for driver and luggage).

Why does the already good responsiveness of the engine improve noticeably when the M button is pressed?

The M button leads to an emphatically sporty engine control with the focus clearly on the response characteristics of the engine. Comfort-related issues such as smooth running are dealt with on a secondary basis.

What is the precise difference between the two available motor mappings?

On the one hand, the focus of basic coordination lies on unlimited everyday use, while on the other hand, the car’s sporty character is to be allowed to develop. Different motor mappings were implemented in order to achieve these two opposing requirements: from spontaneous and snappy to harmonious, long-haul capabilities. Thus, for example, passengers find the jerking of the head caused by the spontaneous response of the engine when accelerating and decelerating to be quite uncomfortable. The driver registers this less than his passengers. This effect is greatly reduced through basic coordination.

What is the output of the engine at the moment of over-boost

Mathematically speaking, the greater the torque the greater the performance. Over-boost means a torque of 500 Nm at a corresponding speed. However, the maximum output is not achieved in the over-boost range, but rather at higher speeds. Over-boost is evident in the lower to medium speed range.

Would it not have been an “easy” matter to make the engine output of the BMW M TwinPower turbo a little bit “sharper”...?

Output means “torque by engine speed”. As the engine speed increases, causing the output to rise, the required speed of the turbocharger would also further increase. However the speed of the chargers cannot be increased indiscriminately if one is also to meet the service life and quality standards applied by BMW. The alternative would be to use larger chargers, which again would not be optimal because of the resulting slower response.

Why is the car supplied with standard sports seats when you order BMW Performance sports seats? Surely the original seats are redundant...

BMW Performance accessories can be ordered from BMW dealers, who will then install them. These seats cannot be supplied ex-works.

Why not supply the bucket seats and a lighter exhaust pipe as Performance options immediately? Surely that would save 80 to 100 kilos of weight.

Changing to bucket seats and a different exhaust system would not be enough to reduce the weight by 80 to 100 kilos. Seats and exhaust systems designed to reduce weight, as used in motor racing for example, are not suitable for homologation, enabling them to be used in a standard vehicle. Exhaust systems in standard vehicles must meet certain criteria in relation to noise emissions and service life. There are also legal requirements for seats and seat positions.

Are there any special points to be noted when running in the turbo-charged engine?

There are no general differences from other BMW M engines. The measures described in the operating instructions are to be followed: changing operating states but no maximum speeds and loads. Respecting these principles will also benefit the gearboxes and rear axle differentials. The clutch should also be used as gently as possible while running the car in.

Are there rules for running the turbo when cold, or is this an "urban legend”?

This is no urban legend - the turbocharger comes under high thermal stress and can become red-hot when running under maximum load. The charger is lubricated and cooled by means of the engine oil. Cooling is also achieved by means of the cooling water, so that the pump for this is allowed to continue to run as necessary. Nonetheless, the oil can tend to coke in the bearings if the engine is switched off under extreme conditions. The problem described can occur after maximum stresses, as on the racetrack for example. There is no doubt that, after a longer period of use at full throttle, it would do no harm to allow the car a chance to cool down under normal conditions. The instructions in the operating manual should be observed.

When would you recommend using the “racing brake linings” available for the vehicle?

These are really only suitable for racetrack use: the brake linings feature a further increase in the stability of the frictional coefficient under high thermal stress. However, this comes at a price in terms of comfort (rubbing/ squeaking) and wear on the brake discs, and the brakes are applied much more forcefully. Despite these uncompromising characteristics, the brake linings available for the BMW 1 Series M Coupé are approved for street use.

Are there any plans to offer other specific accessories for the car, such as the BMW M3 GTS spoiler or the adapted splitter from the MotoGP SafetyCar?

The parts from the MotoGP SafetyCar are unique pieces that have not completed the standard development process and consequently these are unavailable to customers. BMW M3 GTS parts are also not available for the BMW 1 Series M Coupé because they are only supplied to customers who own a BMW M3 GTS upon production of the relevant vehicle registration papers.

How long is to the BMW 1 Series M Coupé to be built and is there a limit on numbers?

This is not a limited edition.

Is there anything that the BMW 1 Series M Coupé engineers are particularly proud of?

We are proud of the fact that we have got things so right with this car in such a short space of time, producing a top-class driving experience that is also perfect for everyday use. The BMW 1 Series M Coupé is every bit as sporty as it looks.

What was the reason for deciding against an adaptive chassis?

The BMW 1 Series M Coupé has been designed with absolute consistency: it is purist in its form and is tailored to a young target group. It has a particular body share, engine, transmission and wheel size. This made it possible to coordinate all the elements to perfection, so that there was no need for an adaptive chassis.

Why wasn’t the double-clutch transmission of the Z4 sDrive 35is adapted?

The answer is basically the same as for the previous question. Plus the fact that a manual transmission was perfect for the purist character of this car.

Why is the BMW 1 Series M Coupé supplied with the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ex works instead of the current successor product, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport?

The successor to the excellent PS2 is the PS3. At the time of vehicle testing and homologation, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was not yet available in this size.

Does the exhaust system use valve technology?

No there is no valve technology used in the exhaust system.

Is there a plan to provide an M Driver’s Package that extends maximum speed to 275 km/h, for example?

There are no such plans.

Would it be possible to produce a BMW 1 Series M Cabriolet?

It would indeed be possible, but no such plans exist at present.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Very interesting comments. Reading bwteen the lines it seems that the 1M might be a handfull with the DSC turned off. Tail/Spin happy? I know my 135i at extra high speeds can be a little twitchy at times.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Good answers.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Jurgen was the engineer at the pre-drive that I asked about motor differences.. so that is how i found out that the N54B30 for the 1M had different piston rings and he indicated that they were still working on springs/shocks, exhaust, and software.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
Good answers.
Good questions as well!

Definitely answered some of my questions about the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
What special modifications were needed after the transplanting of the BMW M3 chassis to the BMW 1 Series?

The kinematics of the chassis, in other words the geometry of the pivot points, link lengths and front and rear axle supports were taken from the BMW M3. The lighter weight means that the front axle support of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé does not need a stiffening plate. In terms of vehicle weight and the shorter wheel base, the springs and dampers have also been readjusted. Other changes were also made to the auxiliary springs and stabilisers, for example the stabiliser on the rear axle has reduced torsional rigidity.

[]
Do you think BMW will ever admit the fact that they saw how HP Autowerks, Inc. was able to do on the 135i and 335i with the M3 bits and how well the cars handled after the conversion, they decided to come out with something of their own? It would be interesting to see if BMW had this in mind back in 2008 or it's something thought up recently.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

How long is to the BMW 1 Series M Coupé to be built and is there a limit on numbers?

I guess this won't be limited as first thought?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Fascinating read. I like the bits about the size of the turbos, and cool down period.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Do you think BMW will ever admit the fact that they saw how HP Autowerks, Inc. was able to do on the 135i and 335i with the M3 bits and how well the cars handled after the conversion, they decided to come out with something of their own? It would be interesting to see if BMW had this in mind back in 2008 or it's something thought up recently.
I would guess that the answer to this is no,they would never agree to that. but to some degree, i agree with your other thought .. they def got ideas from HP and the rest of the Motorsport world.

as we all know..BMW looks at this forum all the time... they would be silly not to.. they have a free focus group on every detail of every car...

I could imagine a group of german engineers, reading theses posts at night at home, and then coming into work the next day and saying..

Hanz, your not gonna believe what i figured out... lets go to the lab and swap some parts...etc etc etc

imitation is the sincearest form of flattery.. of course ther is no money attached to flattery
      05-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post

I guess this won't be limited as first thought?
I like this too....

I say there will be 2012 models.... They way i look at it, They developed a new car for relatively little money... and have a success story on there hands.. why wouldnt they continue.. the only thing is they cant flood the market... i say they will release new ones for 2013 along the same lines of this year or slightly greater...

Last edited by DriveHard; 05-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: corrected date from 2013 to 2012 oops
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

The only answer I find questionable is this:

Yet we clearly have seen the One of 450 plaque on the UK cars?
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
The only answer I find questionable is this:

Yet we clearly have seen the One of 450 plaque on the UK cars?
One of 450 of 2011 model year.......

2008 i series have "one of one" on the start stop button ( designating the first year of production)

Last edited by DriveHard; 05-24-2011 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: corrected date of year oops
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

BMW uk is making a fool out of themselves if they will get more than 450 cars... Wonder if they risk that!? BMW in Sweden says that the 1M only is planned to be produced 2011! But time will tell
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
how is this car made for young enthusiasts when monthly lease payment is $800~$900 per month?

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post

2008 i series have "one of one" on the start stop button ( designating the first year of production)
I remember that too. But remember the 1M's are being sold as 2011 cars while all other models of the 1 series are being sold as 2012, so what year would they give the 1M if it continues to be made next year?

There have been several "Rumors" posted here that the current N54 engine in the 1M won't meet 2012 Emission limits.

In the end who knows. Someone just predicted the world would end last Saturday too.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
I remember that too. But remember the 1M's are being sold as 2011 cars while all other models of the 1 series are being sold as 2012, so what year would they give the 1M if it continues to be made next year?

There have been several "Rumors" posted here that the current N54 engine in the 1M won't meet 2012 Emission limits.

In the end who knows. Someone just predicted the world would end last Saturday too.
Thats a good point about the 2012 engine spec.. Hmmmm ... ill have to think about that..

and BTW the compliance cert for the N54t expires 12/31/2011.. so all vehicels have to be assembled by then..

Last edited by DriveHard; 05-25-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

It has been confirmed in UK that the 1M is a run of 450 units, thats it know more not on this current platform.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #19
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats a good point about the 2012 engine spec.. Hmmmm ... ill have to think about that..

and BTW the compliance cert for the N54 expires 12/31/2011.. so all vehicels have to be assembled by then..
That is what I understand as well..

Another sigh of limited production. Take a look at the video for the Press Meeting in New York, in this video they are comparing past M3's with the 1M and it clearly shows Approximately 800 1M's. My take is this is referring to the number for the US + the 450 for the UK, some have said ~250 for Australia the balance for the rest of the world.

Video, it's very long but does show Approximately 800 1M's. This starts about 2:15 into video.

But who knows for certain what BMW will do. I don't think they figured on this much demand for the car.
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles

Last edited by Redadair; 05-24-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:

and BTW the compliance cert for the N54 expires 12/31/2011.. so all vehicels have to be assembled by then..
what about the z4is and 335is? they still have atleast 1yr of production left.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Seems like he avoided directly answering a few of the questions, or just fobbed off the person posing the questions. For example, how come the performance seats cannot be installed at the factory? If you buy them as accessories, they are still homologated for road use (at least in the EU). Furthermore, other manufacturers manage to do this no problem e.g. renualt, nissan, ford, audi, porsche, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
Seems like he avoided directly answering a few of the questions, or just fobbed off the person posing the questions. For example, how come the performance seats cannot be installed at the factory? If you buy them as accessories, they are still homologated for road use (at least in the EU). Furthermore, other manufacturers manage to do this no problem e.g. renualt, nissan, ford, audi, porsche, etc.
Who cares? Plenty of companies install options at the dealer. Subaru for example installs ALL options at the dealer.

Actually.. if you get the car with stock seats... BMW will just ship the peformance seats to the dealer for install. The dealer installs the performance seats prior to delivery (or you Do it yourself... if it's like past seats it is a whopping four bolts per seat) then that means you have a set of brand new 1M seats that you can sell! Not sure if the seats are desired by others, but they might be... Don't want hassle of the extra seats? I am sure the dealer will be HAPPY to take them into inventory and sell them off themselves. I really don't see any reason for concern/complaint on this one ...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-24-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0