BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Cool My Journey to a 1M w/ PCD Finish (VO w/ Pics)

Background:

Last year I was looking around at new cars and was naturally drawn to the M3 but ended up passing on it for a few reasons. So about 2 months later when I saw pictures of the 1M and details I realized that was exactly what I was looking for in a car and went straight to the dealership to place my deposit. Being that I live in the metro-NY area there were quite a few that beat me to the punch and as soon as I realized how few 1Ms would come to the US I actually left a few more deposits to increase my chances of getting one.

Months passed and I heard nothing from dealers but I kept hopeful, until one day I got a call from one of the CA's and he simply said "We are getting 3 cars and guess what, you are number three, if you want the car come in by the weekend and we'll spec it out". I did just that and placed the order and tracked it online. As time progressed I was told the car would arrive early to mid June, but instead I decided to give PCD a try because everyone spoke to highly of it. That delayed me about a month due to the PCD backup; I was skeptical whether it was the right decision but went with it anyways.

PCD:

It was well worth the wait, by far the best car delivery I have ever experienced. The hotel was nice as was them picking me up from the airport but the fun really began when I got on the shuttle bus in the morning. I couldn't have been any more different than the others on the bus, I was the youngest person by about 35 years so I just sat there quietly until someone turned around and said "Good morning, what are you picking up?". Then the ten or fifteen minute bus ride turned into a great conversation with people from all over (as far as CA).

By the time I got there I knew it was going to be a good day (especially since my VO 1M was sitting in the first delivery bay as we pulled in, although they wouldn't let me see it until later). We sat down in the short driving overview to go over details and then headed outside. Our group consisted of two 5-series, two M3's, a 135i and my 1M. However when I went outside and gave him my name he said "grab a 1 series", I then politely asked for a 1M and he said "sorry but right now we only have one for the person picking one up". They quickly realized the mistake and ran and got the 1M.

Then we went off to the handling course where I was paired with the 135 and one of the M3's. It was a blast, tossing the 1M around, getting to rev it all the way up and hit the corners. Keep in mind as with many of you this is the first time I've driven a 1M, after I have already purchased it. I do have a z4 35is also and have driven 135s and M3s so I had some idea of what it was going to be like, but it was 10 times better.

After that we went over to the braking exercise where I got to test just how good the 1M braking was, even in the wet. Not to mention when he would say "Ok, get that car up to 50mph then stomp on the brakes" I had the MDM mode on so I was spinning through first and second. It was funny when the instructor was talking about people breaking habits of pumping the brakes like people did when there was no ABS and everyone kept smiling and I was laughing because I've never owned a car without ABS, so I was taught that when you want to stop, pedal to the ground.

Following the braking we went to the skidpad where they showed us how the traction control really works. We were now in 335s and they were turning the traction control all the way off and telling us to floor it around a wet skidpad which felt completely unnatural. As soon as he told me to hit the gas I did and that car went crazy, I let off the wheel then with counter-steer was able to do a full 360. While that was fun I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that on the road. Then with the traction control back on I was thoroughly impressed with how it worked, even though I have had a few BMWs with the same system I was still impressed how it worked in this environment.

Now it was time for a hot lap where I learned that I didn't know the first thing about driving as the instructor sat very calmly on the seat as he beat the lights out of this M5 and would put it within and inch of the grass, then toss the wheel and throw the ass end the other way to make the turn, simply amazing.

Delivery:

With that completed they broke us into small groups again for delivery of our cars where they specifically chose the BMW employee that was most knowledgeable of the exact car you were picking up. I went off to the little room where my car sat and saw it up close for the first time. Paperwork was all over the table and the car just sat there nice and clean (mind you cleaner than any dealer prep I have seen before). They were smart enough to not drill plate holes and the guy said "So, CT is a two plate state, do you plan on running a front plate?", he didn't even finish before I said "Hell no" and he just laughed.

For the next two hours he went over every single thing possible in the car, from how to lock the car to how to program the car to turn the interior fans on before I get back in the car to keep it cool during the summer. In every other car I have been delivered at the dealers, I knew more about details than they did because they would just show you how to turn on the lights and then get someone to pair your phone. I was extremely impressed with his knowledge of BMW and the 1M in specific. He said he has done about 5 deliveries of them so far, and has taken some of the ones they have there home for fun. (They have 8 1Ms for their driving schools and two have license plates on them to drive off grounds).

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 7561
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 7497
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 7649
Size:  145.1 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 7537
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 7354
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 7397
Size:  188.5 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 7300
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 7363
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 7280
Size:  157.7 KB

Once this was complete it was lunch time where we got back with the group and saw some BMW employees. The food was good although I wasn't that hungry but better than the food was when the couple from CA was like "hey, there are seats over here" and we sat down and had a great conversation with them (they were picking up a 135i M Sport). After lunch it turns out we were doing the X5 off road (where I swore we were going to flip on of them over and roll down a hill), and then the factory tour. The factory left me in such awe that I literally could not speak. I felt like I was watching I-Robot with cars. The machinery was so advanced it was to the point where one machine could apply welds or adhesive to one panel of the car, then it holds it up to a camera to see if it was done properly. The camera then used pixels to measure if there were any gaps/ air bubbles and then it would approve the piece and the machine would continue with its job. Keep in mind the machines were fully automated as were those cameras. I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to spoil any surprises for those that will be doing the tour at some point.

This was the end of the day (about 3:15PM) and then we split ways with new friends and wished everyone a safe trip. Once my car was all loaded up and ready to go we headed off to our next destination in SC where we will stay for a few days for some golf, then off to Hilton Head and then head homeward bound.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 7090
Size:  139.6 KB

So far the car has 101 miles on it, I'll reserve the second post for my overall impressions with the car as I simply have not had it long enough to make conclusive comments.

I hope you got something out of my story and for those of you debating PCD, do it, you will not regret it.

I don't know if I got lucky or the people are always as nice/happy as they were yesterday. I couldn't have picked a better group of people to do the PCD with and every single employee that was there looked like they were having as much fun as we were. I'm sure some of them still can't believe they get paid for work. I got the vibe from them that they weren't there for a job, but rather it was their lifestyle and I've heard many employees are actually forum members on the board here.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 9043
Size:  191.5 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 8944
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 8992
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 8882
Size:  188.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

RESERVED
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
de85275
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 424/740

Garage List
Awesome, Nice write up! I will picking up my VO in the next few weeks. I can't wait. Now it's going to be even harder to be patient after reading your tale. Congrats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Congrats Chris! Nice review of the PCD expierence

My car is at VPC now and I will be doing PCD as soon as I can get a delivery date
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
watsons
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Boxster

Great write-up! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Congrats - I almost did a PCD delivery, but unfortunately have been too busy with work to be able to go. So, after having the car sit on the showroom floor at Tom Bush for almost 4 weeks after being paid for and while I have been in and out and mostly away, we collected it on Tuesday evening. They drove it off the Roundel in the showroom, and Marco went over everything. Of course on the way home we hit a driving rain storm, so I got to experience the auto windshield wipers.

Glad you had a great delivery!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Congratulations! your review had me laughing...

I have never purchased a car and had a phone paired to it.

Since you've never owned a car without ABS... I bet you haven't listened to records much, or perhaps you might not even own any CDs.. No matter at all.. Our ages and experiences differ, but ownership of a BMW brings us all together and makes a common link. I hope you join the local chapter of BMW CCA. I had a similar experience as you twenty years ago, when I showed up a chapter meeting for the Hoosier Chapter Indiana. A couple reached out to me and I started talking with them, and they introduced me to the group and I have been great friends with many since. It's my experience that a lot of millennials feel like BMW CCA is full of old people that are rich and buy BMWs and they have nothing in common with, when that's far from the truth.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review and great pics! Really wish they would do another year of these, I would get one in a heartbeat, love that VO.
      07-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

great write-up thanks. Im on the fence with PCD. Ive heard good things like your story before, but hearing them fresh reinforces the desire.

My main concern is the added miles. I'll be driving back up to Massachusetts - 850 miles. Not likely to make it a slow, lazy drive back either - I'll need to get back ASAP. Im might be able to make it a 3-day trip max.

SO, my personal dilema is "is the great PCD worth a plane ticket, a couple days, and 850 extra miles on the car?" Given that I'll have just done Euro delivery.

opinions welcome.

By the way, beautiful house!! Looks like you parked deliberate on the walkway for effect, nice!

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

M3 Adjuster

I am going to join BMW CCA and hope I can meet some interesting people and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
SO, my personal dilema is "is the great PCD worth a plane ticket, a couple days, and 850 extra miles on the car?" Given that I'll have just done Euro delivery.

opinions welcome.

By the way, beautiful house!! Looks like you parked deliberate on the walkway for effect, nice!
That is a tough call for you. I'm not much closer than you but I turned it into a vacation as I'm in another town in SC right now relaxing. I think you should really try to make it into a vacation and go. Have fun and don't worry about the miles.

Also it's not my house, just the rental I'm staying at. I should have left the car there overnight just to see if anyone said something, haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Congrats man you beat me to it im schuduled for my PCD pickup AUg 8th i cannot wait !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
great write-up thanks. Im on the fence with PCD. Ive heard good things like your story before, but hearing them fresh reinforces the desire.

My main concern is the added miles. I'll be driving back up to Massachusetts - 850 miles. Not likely to make it a slow, lazy drive back either - I'll need to get back ASAP. Im might be able to make it a 3-day trip max.

opinions welcome.

Ill be driving 700 miles home to Northern NJ its so gunna be worth it man! ED costs about 2500 total cost of gas, places to stay eating yada yada....but PCD is included with your destination fee
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Beautiful! How much did you pay for your 1M?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

Congrats and great pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
tigerdr
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90, SSII, ZCP

Great write up. I live in SC so a PCD was a no brainer for me but I've done multiple track events with the performance center and the instructors ARE always that nice. They are a first class group of professionals who enjoy what they do. Why wouldn't they.
I am heading to Hilton Head tonight for the weekend. Will be on the lookout for the VO 1M.
Congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
EOX007
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series

Cupholder looks stupid.
Please don't eat in such a nice car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

How much did it cost to ship the car back to CT?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Congrats. I'm doing PCD on my BSM.

Appreciate your input on the expertise of the PCD personnel. I, too, often find that most dealership employees basically don't know anything about a car outside of what they find in the 5 page brochure. In fact, my CA keeps telling me that I will love my new [b]M1[/]!

Curious about a comment you made regarding the age of the other participants. Since the youngest you can be and be able to legally drive is 16, was everyone else at least 51?
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOX007 View Post
Cupholder looks stupid.
Please don't eat in such a nice car
I'm sure he's not eating in your car.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Fantastic write-up! Did you have to observe the break-in rev limit?
      07-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Thumbs up Congrats on your new 1M!

Chris - thanks for the great write-up.

I haven't experienced PCD. However, I used to live in Charlotte NC (just recently moved to the Twin Cites) and visited the BMW facility in Greer a few times for driving events. As you attested to, all the employees there are very nice and passionate about BMW. We used to head down to HH Ilse quite a bit. Also saw you're in the NY CT area. My wife is from there and has family in Greenwich - beautiful area.

Congrats again and drive it in good health! Looking forward to you driving impressions.
      07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

isn't shipping to your home included in PCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
How much did it cost to ship the car back to CT?
Appreciate 0