BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

So i've recently got my shiny new (to me) car (it's a 2006)

and i'm already noticing that the throttle lag is rather annoying in daily driving (though kaning it the lag disappears fortunately)

i know the powerbox is an option... the only other reply i've recieved is from superchip reps

but i don't like the idea of a one-size-fits-all tune.. is there anyone in Brisbane (or heck, sydney even, i'd be willing to go there fora 'holiday' lol) that would be ableto do a proper tune for it?

tyvm!

if the answer is a resounding 'no' PBX vs superchip? lol

ED: also, wondering about a short throw shifter... i've had one on my last two cars, took a day of driving to stop missing third, it's too far away.... best place to get one from?

Last edited by flinchy; 11-29-2011 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
I'm not sure why you'd want to pay someone to do something to your lovely car that may be a bugger to undo.
You aren't even sure that (a) you can trust them, (b) something won't get screwed up.

The 130 has awesome power and driveability - the only issue would be the lag. For $270 (less if used) a Powerbox can easily sort that.
Done - onto other things - coilovers, etc.

Black 130i M Sport; 18" Oz Ultraleggra; 225/40 & 245/35.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Lag???!?!!! WHAT THE F*CK???? dude, the 130i having lag? do you have an auto box????

The N52 is one of the most throttle sensitive cars i've even driven, alongside my old RenaultSport Clio 172 engine..... if you want lag, try the old Mazda 3 MPS that i had!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeff View Post
Lag???!?!!! WHAT THE F*CK???? dude, the 130i having lag? do you have an auto box????

The N52 is one of the most throttle sensitive cars i've even driven, alongside my old RenaultSport Clio 172 engine..... if you want lag, try the old Mazda 3 MPS that i had!!!
Calm down dude; there's no need for that.
When you press the throttle there's a time lag from that press to the throttle opening (check others' comments on threads throughout 1Addicts and BabyBMW).

When you put something like a Powerbox it ovrerrides the BMW software and eliminates that time lag.
When you de-activate the 'Box and go back to the original throttle mapping you'll know what we are talking about.

It's impossible to go back to the way it was.

Black 130i M Sport; 18" Oz Ultraleggra; 225/40 & 245/35.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Have you considered a sprintbooster? I know they don't add any power but they are supposed to increase throttle sensitivity which might be what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclove23 View Post
I'm not sure why you'd want to pay someone to do something to your lovely car that may be a bugger to undo.
You aren't even sure that (a) you can trust them, (b) something won't get screwed up.

The 130 has awesome power and driveability - the only issue would be the lag. For $270 (less if used) a Powerbox can easily sort that.
Done - onto other things - coilovers, etc.
hence why i'm asking here - for someone trustworthy. as far as i've gathered, there's only out of the box flashes (superchip and such), and the powerbox...

i'm actually looking at an ssk first up (i've had one on all my cars... 2-3 in the 130 is super long in comparison lol). i don't like it though, they're shortened by being physically shorter, rather than lengthened pivot point... i figure i'll get the BMWP one since it's less than half the price of the UUC one (and has a new knob, my stock one is a little worn)... then sway bars and chassis braces, then coilovers yeah lol.

also, i've emailed several places about a powerbox.... not one single reply for the last two weeks.

anyone in australia able to sell them? there seemed to be a nice one in singapore that's apparently actually tuned for 98 octane fuel rather than 91. unless the aussie ones are also tuned for 98?.. buuut they haven't replied to either of the emails

heck, i shot an email off to MMW in america about their new headers which everyone is going crazy about, no reply from them. sadface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeff View Post

i'm assuming you own one... put foot down, there's a good lag-jolt, it's REALLY annoying. when driving hard it's not there since you're using the accelerator constantly, but when at a set of lights taking off gently without loading up some revs before the light turns green, or overtaking on the highway... UGH FFS... it's the first time i've driven a fly-by-wire throttle car... everything else about it is awesome, just the lag when you're at light throttle is a PITA. especially after coming from late 90's jap cars lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Have you considered a sprintbooster? I know they don't add any power but they are supposed to increase throttle sensitivity which might be what you're looking for.
powerbox does the same thing, but also does some piggyback power increase, as well as being $50 odd cheaper >_<

ok i'm going to take it as a 'no', so where can i get a powerbox from conveniently? :/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

It's hypocritical of me to say this but I wouldn't be putting a cheap powerbox on a BMW to fix lag or or squeeze out a few extra horsepower that will realistically make no difference on a naturally aspirated engine. If you want do it right, spend the money and get a tune. The JB4 and Procede are exceptions to this because they are vastly advanced piggybacks and the gains are proven and worthwhile.

If you're set on getting one, maybe try eBay. I can't offer any other recommendation sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's hypocritical of me to say this but I wouldn't be putting a cheap powerbox on a BMW to fix lag or or squeeze out a few extra horsepower that will realistically make no difference on a naturally aspirated engine. If you want do it right, spend the money and get a tune. The JB4 and Procede are exceptions to this because they are vastly advanced piggybacks and the gains are proven and worthwhile.

If you're set on getting one, maybe try eBay. I can't offer any other recommendation sorry.
yeah well the JB4 and procede, which i haven't seen any results for on babybmw or 1addicts, or google entirely... what are they, where can i find info? prices etc.?

powerboxes seem to be pretty much ONLY for BMW though... or largely, at least...?

that's the thing, the only tune i can get in the entirety of brisbane, that i've found... is from a superchip rep, and as far as i can tell, it's no better than a powerbox (simple basic run of the mill one-size-fits all tune)

most of the dyno graphs i've found seem to show about 15whp regardless of what is used to tune it.

i've googled sprintbooster vs powerbox, all reports say it's completely identical, just the sprintbooster costs a whack more.

refuse to buy from ebay though, just don't trust it for something i'm attaching to this car lol (unless it'ss the ebay account of a reputable bmw parts dealer)

ED: googling 'procede 130i' comes up with THIS THREAD as the second result...
JB4 and this is the TOP result lol.

ED: yep, just N54 stuff.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=n52+jb4
looked promising
but they don't exist any more.

also, JB4 is BMS? so's the powerbox :/

Last edited by flinchy; 12-04-2011 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
yeah well the JB4 and procede, which i haven't seen any results for on babybmw or 1addicts, or google entirely... what are they, where can i find info? prices etc.?

powerboxes seem to be pretty much ONLY for BMW though... or largely, at least...?

that's the thing, the only tune i can get in the entirety of brisbane, that i've found... is from a superchip rep, and as far as i can tell, it's no better than a powerbox (simple basic run of the mill one-size-fits all tune)

most of the dyno graphs i've found seem to show about 15whp regardless of what is used to tune it.

i've googled sprintbooster vs powerbox, all reports say it's completely identical, just the sprintbooster costs a whack more.

refuse to buy from ebay though, just don't trust it for something i'm attaching to this car lol (unless it'ss the ebay account of a reputable bmw parts dealer)

ED: googling 'procede 130i' comes up with THIS THREAD as the second result...
JB4 and this is the TOP result lol.
Are you saying you couldn't find anything on JB4 or Procede on google or 1addicts??

As for my recommendation to have your car tuned, I wasn't referring to Superchip, I meant pay to have your car put on a dyno and have it dyno-tuned by a reputable tuner.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying you couldn't find anything on JB4 or Procede on google or 1addicts??

As for my recommendation to have your car tuned, I wasn't referring to Superchip, I meant pay to have your car put on a dyno and have it dyno-tuned by a reputable tuner.
yeah, that's what i want... and that doesn't appear to exist, no one can tell me of a reputable tuner that is even capable of tuning this particular car.

ED: and yes searching 1addicts too, jb4 comes up with 'yep im using one' from a bunch of N54 guys... that's it.

i searched:
jb4
procede
n52 *
130i *

ED: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=n52+jb4 looked promising, but the site is dead
also, BMS make the JB4, they make the powerbox too.... should still be trustworthy?

so yeah, the only results i get are for N55, this doesn't help.

OKAY

from googling, the JB4 is just the N54/55 version of the powerbox? - the reason i couldn't find anything is because i was searching 130i/n52...

well okay, i guess if the JB4 is recommended...? and they're made by the same company and do the same thing apparently?

so yeah, again, where to buy? lol

Last edited by flinchy; 12-04-2011 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
yeah, that's what i want... and that doesn't appear to exist, no one can tell me of a reputable tuner that is even capable of tuning this particular car.

ED: and yes searching 1addicts too, jb4 comes up with 'yep im using one' from a bunch of N54 guys... that's it.

i searched:
jb4
procede
n52 *
130i *
Where in QLD are you located? There are several workshops in Brisbane that tune cars. For eg, APC, Mercury Motorsport, GT Auto Garage etc. I personally cannot recommend any of them but I know of people that have their cars tuned there and are happy. They all have some crazy builds and I'm sure they will be capable of tuning your 130i

My advice for google searches is to be more precise in what it is you're searching for, possibly add more words. Anyways, as a start try looking here http://www.burgertuning.com/ BMS sell the JB4 for the N54 and they also sell the Powerbox for your N52. If you have any questions you could email Terry directly on Terry Burger terry@burgertuning.com for advice on options for your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Where in QLD are you located? There are several workshops in Brisbane that tune cars. For eg, APC, Mercury Motorsport, GT Auto Garage etc. I personally cannot recommend any of them but I know of people that have their cars tuned there and are happy. They all have some crazy builds and I'm sure they will be capable of tuning your 130i

My advice for google searches is to be more precise in what it is you're searching for, possibly add more words. Anyways, as a start try looking here http://www.burgertuning.com/ BMS sell the JB4 for the N54 and they also sell the Powerbox for your N52. If you have any questions you could email Terry directly on Terry Burger terry@burgertuning.com for advice on options for your car.

sunshine coast/bris (and i'd be willing to hit up the gold coast too)

i emailed APC, they were the only ones that said they could... and they quoted me $2k... and they're an out of the box tune where they remove the ECU and flash it and specifically quote 12-15hp blah blah, and they don't touch the throttle response part of it, or do any actual 'dyno tune', just a before dyno, flash, after dyno...
the others said no.

less words is 99% better for googling... if 'N52 *something*' comes up with no valid results, adding more words will just make it worse.

so burger tuning is the way to go if i can't find a sensible tuner around brisbane?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
sunshine coast/bris (and i'd be willing to hit up the gold coast too)

i emailed APC, they were the only ones that said they could... and they quoted me $2k... and they're an out of the box tune where they remove the ECU and flash it and specifically quote 12-15hp blah blah, and they don't touch the throttle response part of it, or do any actual 'dyno tune', just a before dyno, flash, after dyno...
the others said no.

less words is 99% better for googling... if 'N52 *something*' comes up with no valid results, adding more words will just make it worse.

so burger tuning is the way to go if i can't find a sensible tuner around brisbane?

thanks.
Nick does the dyno-tuning at APC and 2k sounds about right but I'm not sure if it's really worth it considering the gains. I'm not the best person to give advice as I don't have any experience with the N52 but I have used BMS products before, specifically the JB4 and have been very happy with it. The Powerbox seems like good value, I would give it a shot before trying other options.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #15
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Nick does the dyno-tuning at APC and 2k sounds about right but I'm not sure if it's really worth it considering the gains. I'm not the best person to give advice as I don't have any experience with the N52 but I have used BMS products before, specifically the JB4 and have been very happy with it. The Powerbox seems like good value, I would give it a shot before trying other options.
yeah that's the thing... i know it's better to go the dyno tune.. but if it's 4-5x the price for the same fuel consumption, probably pretty much identical powercurve and end power figure.... if it was say 1.5-2x the price... well yeah i'd just do it.

ok, so i figure if it sucks on the power side... well it's cheaper than the sprintbooster and does the same job anyway, so it's win win either way?

ok, just have to wait for a reply from burger for price etc. and get it over here
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #16
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Is it really worth doing anything to an N52 NA car?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #17
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
BMW PE for the sound! No performance gains but oh those pops and crackles!! Maybe it's just the way Alex drives though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #18
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
BMW PE for the sound! No performance gains but oh those pops and crackles!! Maybe it's just the way Alex drives though.
BMW PE for 130i pretty much dosent have pops and crackles at all. I've just installed mine, pretty disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
thunderb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

I agree with Mr Blonde, its really not worth tuning the 130i, if you've just got your baby give it a little time for you to get to know it and for it to get to know your driving style.

But I do like the idea of getting a Powerbox, just to see how much of a difference it gives.

Also Flinchy, if you're not doing a hill start, even a slight one, our cars / gearboxes are designed to do second gear starts.

try the second gear starts and cruising in slow traffic in second instead of first and I think you'll find some of your problems disappear.

The single best thing I EVER DID was to put some Koni FSD shocks onto it. They are simply a beautiful thing to drive on.

I had 18" Run Flats, then put some 19" non RFTs and that improve ride and grip a fair bit, but since putting the Koni's on the car 3000kms a go it is now a completely different beast to drive, it no longer crashes over bumps etc... its still got the great stiff handling when you need it but a new found compliance.

If you'd like to give the Koni's a test on my car, I'm in Toowoomba if you wanted to come for a drive on the weekend?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
Broady
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i

Subscribed.

Coming from a similar car (late 90s jap) to the 130i I notice the lag - engine is super responsive but you definitely feel the lag.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Totally do an exhaust so it sounds better, but performance tuning a late model BMW NA engine .... good luck! They don't leave anything reasonable on the table.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Do a throttle reset first.

Turn ignition all the way on without starting the engine. Then, depress the accelerator all the way to the floor (past the 'notch' point).

Hold it there for at least 30 seconds.

Turn ignition all the way off again.

Then, start your car and go for a hard drive.

If this hasn't fixed the issue, I'd suggest the sprintbooster.

I have an N52 and must say it's very responsive. I reset the throttle/ECU via that method every month or so. First time I did it it felt completely refreshed.
Appreciate 0