View Single Post
      07-29-2019, 07:06 AM   #37
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

February 2017......my saga is eerily familiar...but my dealer stepped up and bought me a used motor.

They are full of it if they say they were were unaware.

My SA said they had heard of reports of this.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...0&postcount=34

"Two Mondays ago my 135i went in for an alignment after installing the M control arms and they found I needed an OFHG. I had found that during the CA install and had cleaned up all the oil and new oil had leaked in the 50 miles I drove.

The price was OK but high and I rationalized...."Hey let the pros do it....".

I had them do the repair and they must have allowed something into the oil system as 5 miles after picking car up motor seized up. RPMs just dropped to zero on an upshift.
SNIP

Working theory is something got dropped into the oil gallery and was distributed to the oil system unfiltered. Likely plugging an oil squirter or roaching the mains. The engine can only be turned with tools a half turn then binds up.

This PDF download was a great help in seeing what is fed by the OFHG....everything.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1303136356

The dealer has been OK so far.

At first they were sort of ...."well we put everything back together right. " and I said well you guys were the only one who could introduce foreign matter down stream of the filter and anyone would draw the conclusion that something got in the oil gallery. I asked them "How much grit can we drop into one of your cars on the lot down stream of the filter?......for me it would be whatever the filter would pass."

Then they were saying it had a non OEM bmw filter (Bosch), the oil was dark and JB4. So what?

The filter was intact and the JB4 has no control over oiling and it died in 35 mph traffic.

The oil was changed in september with BMW spec Castrol and there is a spare quart in the trunk.

Their own DINAN and PPK would do what the JB4 on map 1 would do. The car should be capable of sustained full throttle running for many laps around any race track... not die in traffic.

Still some unresolved issues but I am sure we can come to an agreement.

So far they are installing a motor from a wrecked car with similar mileage at no cost to me and providing a 1 year warranty on the engine. I am going to ask them to agree to 1 yr labor warranty.

I have an X3 loaner.

I am going to ask them for the old motor back unless there is a core. Going to make a wicked N55 block coffee table or rebuild it. Plus I want to salvage the injectors, coils and other pieces not exposed to contaminated oil.

I am not sure it is worth rebuilding but maybe it is and that might be compensation enough to have a spare motor in the garage.

What else am I missing?

I need to find out about the Vanos bolts on the new motor, check the clutch at 60K and replace while out of car at my cost, consider R&R the pan gasket (my cost) and (gulp) the OFHG...which they still have not refunded me the cost of come to think of it.

They say they can clean the oil coolers, lines and turbos and re-use. I figure with the warranty that would be fine.

What else would you change while engine out of car?

What other things am I missing?"

Car ran great after the repair. Smoother engine than the first one. Sold it on and it got wrecked when someone pulled out in front of them. RIP.

Happily moved back to 128i's.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0