BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Profile Changed

Just thought I'd mention that I changed my profile today from driving a 2007 BMW X5 to a BMW BSM 1 Series M. Picked it up today and even though I had an idea what you were all talking about I must say - Damn!

I had an E46 M3 years ago, sold it and bought the X5 as the kids needed to get to soccer practice, blah, blah, blah, but now they have their own cars so I am back. The E46 M3 was a great car but the 1 Series M seems to be more "pure" or "raw". Definitely stiffer, more rumble to the exhaust and seems to be even more of a drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Congrats! My last BMW was a used 1978 530i that I loved. This is a whole different universe.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Welcome to the club!

I am curious about your X5. I am actually thinking about picking up a used one for my wife to haul the kids around in. Any pros/cons you care to share?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
NC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Welcome to the club!

I am curious about your X5. I am actually thinking about picking up a used one for my wife to haul the kids around in. Any pros/cons you care to share?
Pros: Very comfortable and quiet ride. Fairly peppy for a non-turbo 6. Drives like a car not an SUV. Great traction in all weather conditions. Also very safe - air bags everywhere and crash test ratings very high.

Cons: Might be too fancy for it's own good. Little things started to go wrong. Out of the blue steering error but it would not occur again for a year or so. Recently had a SRS issue - fuse blew, error reset but problem came back. Had at least three service appointments for cooling system issues. They replaced a hose. A few weeks later they had to replace the entire radiator, (this was when the car was only 4 years old). Tech broke the fan mount so they had to replace that as well.

Things happen. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being very happy I'd give it a 7. When there were no issues it was the best SUV I ever drove. It was my 4th BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Congrats!!
      01-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

The X5 is a superb car. Its sad that you don't have the brilliant diesel in the US. the 3.0d, 4.0d and soon 5.0d. Brilliant engine with great mileage.

If I would buy a X5 in the US i would probably go for the V8.

Its a great ride and superb SUV. As all cars there are minor issues but most should have been fixed during warranty. Thinking on the cons but cannot find many worth mentioning to be honest. Depending on mileage check if the brake pads has been changed recently. One of the more expensive service to do. Also check the other service requirements. History and service book. Don't forget to check the health of the tires. Also quite expensive to change the rubber. I have the comfort seats in my X5 and truly love them. I would not buy an X5 without the comfort seats. (the other options are standard and sport seats. Not sure if you have the same in the US). Also if you find a car with adaptive drive that is a superb thing. Not worth it when you buy a new car but on the used market I would look for it together with comfort seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
The X5 is a superb car. Its sad that you don't have the brilliant diesel in the US. the 3.0d, 4.0d and soon 5.0d. Brilliant engine with great mileage.

Its a great ride and superb SUV. As all cars there are minor issues but most should have been fixed during warranty. Thinking on the cons but cannot find many worth mentioning to be honest. Depending on mileage check if the brake pads has been changed recently. One of the more expensive service to do. Also check the other service requirements. History and service book. Don't forget to check the health of the tires. Also quite expensive to change the rubber. I have the comfort seats in my X5 and truly love them. I would not buy an X5 without the comfort seats. (the other options are standard and sport seats. Not sure if you have the same in the US). Also if you find a car with adaptive drive that is a superb thing. Not worth it when you buy a new car but on the used market I would look for it together with comfort seats.
35d is available in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Currently we just have 3.0d and 4.0d in Europe. Not sure if the 35d in Canada is the same as the current 4.0d? The engine is for sure the same straight 6 diesel. But between the SD/35d over here they increased the power a bit. If I would change my X5 it would be for X6 4.0d with 5 seats and performance package in AW. The facelift is coming now in spring. Also the X6M 5.0d with tri-turbo should be available. Anyway maybe should not discuss other cars to much in this forum.

NC: Again congratulations on your new car!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Welcome to the fold. I've had a few Bimmers in my life, but this one is pure love. Kinda like finally finding the right woman to marry!

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u

X5 35d is available in the US. It's a 3 liter twin power turbo with 265 horsepower and 425 lb/ft of torque.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

The 4.0d is 306 horsepowers and 600 Nm. Its also twin turbo. Basically the same as the 35d but more power.

The 3.0d is 245 horsepowers and 540 Nm. Single turbo.

As you have the twin turbo diesel that is the engine I would go for! Lovely engine and good mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
The 4.0d is 306 horsepowers and 600 Nm. Its also twin turbo. Basically the same as the 35d but more power.

The 3.0d is 245 horsepowers and 540 Nm. Single turbo.

As you have the twin turbo diesel that is the engine I would go for! Lovely engine and good mileage.
+1. We got my wife's 3.5d almost two years ago and can't be happier. the torque is great and it gets fairly decent mileage (better than our previous X3). Perfect to haul the kids around, we got it with the third row seats, which accommodates two kids tightly (you can squeeze an adult for a short trip, but that's it). We took delivery at the PCD, so got to drive one in the track and as it was mentioned before it has amazing handling for a vehicle with that size and weight, it rides like a car not an SUV. Besides an early battery change, have had no issues whatsoever, so I definitely recommend it.

MC congratulations on the 1M. Enjoy!

Last edited by Ayrton91; 01-05-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Congrats on the 1M!
Appreciate 0