BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Question External adjustable rear koni shock?

Is it worth the extra money for it? How many times have any of you who do have them adjusted them till you were happy? I'm about to order a set
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

It is really a matter of personal preference. I have externally adjustable rear Konis and I think the extra cost is worth it just for the ease of being able to adjust the shocks without removing them from the car. That being said I have only adjusted them once since installing them. However, I also started out with them dialed in pretty good because I researched how most people were setting them up before installing the shocks initially.

By contrast I had to adjust the fronts several times before getting them dialed in like I wanted them.
      05-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
It is really a matter of personal preference. I have externally adjustable rear Konis and I think the extra cost is worth it just for the ease of being able to adjust the shocks without removing them from the car. That being said I have only adjusted them once since installing them. However, I also started out with them dialed in pretty good because I researched how most people were setting them up before installing the shocks initially.

By contrast I had to adjust the fronts several times before getting them dialed in like I wanted them.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wink Just ordered a set from HP!

Went your route pirate and got the externals to save myself from future headaches I'm so pumped! With those my suspension is about done I have the m3 control arm kit from tuner motorsports along with m3 rear guide rods m3 upper link set,m3 rear subframe bushings bmw performance springs with new bumpstops and dust tubes

Last edited by Zombie1; 05-19-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

I went without them, but did a lot of research what setting to adjust them before installing them. Then again I'm the set it and forget it type of person. Even when I had AST coilovers on my M3, once I found a setting, i just left it even for track and autocross days. I haven't adjusted my fronts since I've installed it either. I basically set it the harshest possible for the street and leave it. It's a weekend driver/track/autoX car. For the money I saved going with non adjustable rears i was able to also purchase a ETS chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Is it worth the extra money for it? How many times have any of you who do have them adjusted them till you were happy? I'm about to order a set
Yes, if you need the convenience of able to adjust damping without removing the dampers.

Yes, if your car is lowered and needed more compression travel.

Yes, if you want better damping through a more aggressively valved dampers.
Appreciate 0