BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Looking to buy a 1M, looking for pointers.

Hi all,

New to this forum but quite a regular on the OT side. I currently own a 98 M-roadster and a 09 E89 Z4 35i in Hong Kong. I'm looking to buy a 1M in Vancouver, as I plan to move back quite soon and if there's 1 car that I wish to own and hold, this would be the one. The 1M is a amazingly pure sports car.

Found a pretty decent one that came from another province with roughly 40k kms on it. Carfax (carproof) and local insurance checked out.

What should I look out for? Common problems around this mileage? Unusual problems?

I'm sorry if this question has been beaten many times. I would be very grateful if someone could forward me to the right links.

Thanks in advance.
      08-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750192
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I'll be in HKG on 9/24. If you buy me dim sum I'll tell you! ��
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
I have had my 1M for 2.5 years now and put 30k miles on it. I love everything about it.

In my experience:

-Make sure it had a proper break-in service (not exceeding 4500 RPM in the first 1200 miles). Proper 15k mile service (tranny fluid etc...)

-Never drive in wet conditions with the traction control turned off, it isn't worth it. While I'm confident in my driving and handling skills, the 1M is begging to let its rear end loose and fooling around on wet (public) roads with the TC turned off is just foolish. A number of 1M's have been totaled (with deaths) most of which were in wet conditions.

-Make sure the battery cable connector recall service is done because if you drive too long on a recalled 1M without the new cable connector, you could be risking damage. There is a thread about it on here somewhere.

-My "foot well" module (some device that controls the electronic gauges of the headlights and dash warnings lights) went bad at around 25,000 miles. It caused the electronics in the car, as well as my headlights to malfunction at times. My car is still under warranty so they replaced it for free. There is a thread somewhere.

-This thing eats tires up if you aren't vigilant. I would recommend getting a set of smaller daily driving tires+wheels if you are planning to make it a DD.

-Cruise control and a light foot can improve your gas mileage by a lot, specially on the highway. (Worth it if it's a DD)

-Finally, be prepared to get lots of stares and attention and be sure to enjoy every moment of it!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

That's great stuff. Doesn't seem like a lot of common problems for this car.

Looking forward in joining the prestigious 1M club.
      08-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
hey nkc;

I recently bought my 1M with around 34k miles on it....and I think the most important thing to look for is service history (was the break in service done? other routine services) as well as accident/repair history.

after that....well it's a german car so it will always have small issues or electronic stuff; but not big enough of a deal to not buy one. Overall in my searches I'd found that the 1M is fairly reliable to most people.....although some issues seem to recurrently occur (example: fuel pump)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

I recently bought a VO 1M. In my search, most of the cars for sale were modified and tracked heavily, then returned back to stock for sale.

As a former track instructor (that's where the nickname RaceCarDriver comes from) I can tell you tracking the car shortens the life of all the components. I don't track any car that I own.

I wanted to buy one that was as close to stock as possible with no track time. That's what I found and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Hi all,

New to this forum but quite a regular on the OT side. I currently own a 98 M-roadster and a 09 E89 Z4 35i in Hong Kong. I'm looking to buy a 1M in Vancouver, as I plan to move back quite soon and if there's 1 car that I wish to own and hold, this would be the one. The 1M is a amazingly pure sports car.

Found a pretty decent one that came from another province with roughly 40k kms on it. Carfax (carproof) and local insurance checked out.

What should I look out for? Common problems around this mileage? Unusual problems?

I'm sorry if this question has been beaten many times. I would be very grateful if someone could forward me to the right links.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure what colour you are looking for, there are two listed in Vancouver. If the car is from Calgary make sure it was not damaged during the flood.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the help again everyone. I was lucky enough to pick up a VO 1M with roughly 43000kms yesterday. Not gonna say how much for I fear it will ruin the appreciated resale of our entire 1M community. Although I'm not in Vancouver right now, my very trusted friend who is also a licensed mechanic helped me make it happen. I still haven't seen or driven my car yet lol.

So for some weird reason, I decided to write a handwritten letter to the 1M. Probably cuz I was stones. Anyway, here it is and I mean every word.

Dear 1M,

I vow to never modify anything on you that does not improve you. I may not place the most expensive item on you but I promise that it will be the most effective for our needs. I vow to maintain the quality of the original paint job by wrapping you to a different color. It seems hypocritical to my first point but it is to ensure that you maintain your beautiful original Valencia Orange paint job and value. I vow to care for you and clean you with my hands only. I vow to keep you in a good condition until my first son gets his driver's license (15yrs) and from then on you shall be taken under his wings.

I vow to only give you the best fuel that is available. I promise I will let you run free from time to time and not have you caged to city streets. We will run hard together and at times you may get hurt or injured. I promise you that my pain and suffering will be equal or greater than yours. No matter the temptation or need, I will not sell you. It is until death do we part my friend. I vow to try my best to save you no matter the costs. You are family and you will retire gloriously indoors as my main show piece.

Your Buddy,
NKC
__________________________________________________ _______________

So there are several reasons I bought this car. This is the only modern car that appreciates in value. I love how pure and simple the car is, much like my Z3-M roadster which I also plan to keep forever. This will also be my official project car/track car for when I move back later this year. I love real M cars and this one is as pure as it gets. I've thought long and hard about what I should get for my son (10mths old) that would represent the era he was born in. Kind of like how some people buy funds or bonds for their kids. I've decided that this will be his gift when he gets his license. By that time, it would probably require a lot of rebuilds and upgrades so that's just quality garage time with my boy.

I know it sounds totally ridiculous especially my letter but I assure you, this is the first letter I've written to a car and I've personally owned 10 cars for the past 15 years. Currently with 5 cars, 3 of which are BMW's. You can see that I don't really like selling my cars.

Welcome to my first Orange and coupe car.

Sorry for the bad angles, my wife took these with her phone and sent it thru whatsapp.
      08-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Looks great! You will have one of the few 1Ms in HKG. I assume you have parking for it and have located a reputable shop that can handle the most common mechanical failures which are the fuel pump and the charge pipe.

I'm over there a few times a year but haven't had the chance to hunt down the local 1M crew. I also have an M Roadster. It is also an amazing car. I hope the left-hand drive thing works out over there. I see mainlanders driving around with exemption plates quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #11
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Looks great! You will have one of the few 1Ms in HKG. I assume you have parking for it and have located a reputable shop that can handle the most common mechanical failures which are the fuel pump and the charge pipe.

I'm over there a few times a year but haven't had the chance to hunt down the local 1M crew. I also have an M Roadster. It is also an amazing car. I hope the left-hand drive thing works out over there. I see mainlanders driving around with exemption plates quite a bit.
The 1M is in Vancouver and will stay in Vancouver. I actually live in HK and I do have a place to park my other 4 cars. My euro RHD 321hp M-Roadster is in HK with me right now and I plan to ship it to Vancouver also when I move back near the end of the year. This car is a sure keeper but misfiring lately, gotta get it checked out. Hopefully its just the ignition coils.

I drive both RHD and LHD. The fun part is driving a RHD in China with all the crazies.
      08-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Congrats!

What color wrap are you going with? I have been toying with wrapping mine and I have a few ideas floating around; I really wanted AW, and Daytona Violet would look good IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #13
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
Congrats!

What color wrap are you going with? I have been toying with wrapping mine and I have a few ideas floating around; I really wanted AW, and Daytona Violet would look good IMO.
I'm thinking about matte yellow or gloss "Estoril" blue to match my Z3M Roady. I love the original VO but I really want to keep its original paint. If I track the 1M, that paint aint gonna last. If I do decide on some sort of clear bra, I might as well wrap it an enjoy a different color.
      08-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
Thanks for the help again everyone. I was lucky enough to pick up a VO 1M with roughly 43000kms yesterday. Not gonna say how much for I fear it will ruin the appreciated resale of our entire 1M community. Although I'm not in Vancouver right now, my very trusted friend who is also a licensed mechanic helped me make it happen. I still haven't seen or driven my car yet lol.

So for some weird reason, I decided to write a handwritten letter to the 1M. Probably cuz I was stones. Anyway, here it is and I mean every word.

Dear 1M,

I vow to never modify anything on you that does not improve you. I may not place the most expensive item on you but I promise that it will be the most effective for our needs. I vow to maintain the quality of the original paint job by wrapping you to a different color. It seems hypocritical to my first point but it is to ensure that you maintain your beautiful original Valencia Orange paint job and value. I vow to care for you and clean you with my hands only. I vow to keep you in a good condition until my first son gets his driver's license (15yrs) and from then on you shall be taken under his wings.

I vow to only give you the best fuel that is available. I promise I will let you run free from time to time and not have you caged to city streets. We will run hard together and at times you may get hurt or injured. I promise you that my pain and suffering will be equal or greater than yours. No matter the temptation or need, I will not sell you. It is until death do we part my friend. I vow to try my best to save you no matter the costs. You are family and you will retire gloriously indoors as my main show piece.

Your Buddy,
NKC
__________________________________________________ _______________

So there are several reasons I bought this car. This is the only modern car that appreciates in value. I love how pure and simple the car is, much like my Z3-M roadster which I also plan to keep forever. This will also be my official project car/track car for when I move back later this year. I love real M cars and this one is as pure as it gets. I've thought long and hard about what I should get for my son (10mths old) that would represent the era he was born in. Kind of like how some people buy funds or bonds for their kids. I've decided that this will be his gift when he gets his license. By that time, it would probably require a lot of rebuilds and upgrades so that's just quality garage time with my boy.

I know it sounds totally ridiculous especially my letter but I assure you, this is the first letter I've written to a car and I've personally owned 10 cars for the past 15 years. Currently with 5 cars, 3 of which are BMW's. You can see that I don't really like selling my cars.

Welcome to my first Orange and coupe car.

[IMG]http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps708bc973.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2030cf5d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0cc1e99f.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry for the bad angles, my wife took these with her phone and sent it thru whatsapp.
You are SICK buddy ,.. You fell in love with a CAR! Really? Are you serious?

You came to the right place !

Welcome ! Love the Ode to Auto!

The 1M is an excellent track car! It's a driver's car. And it's a very special M car, one that any z3/z4 M , e30 m3, and E46 M3 owner will immediately identify with as it kinda combines characteristics of all three, albeit a turbo motor. But it's a magical M motor in its own way!
Appreciate 0