BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #133
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I must say that my 135i is not an appliance or a financial investment. Don't care what it's worth today or what it's worth tomorrow. I enjoy it every day and will pay what's necessary to keep it running good and looking good. It is my ultimate driving machine. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is strictly for my enjoyment.

I drive another car for transportation; my daughter's '05 Jetta, which is available to me whenever I need it. She has another car that she uses for a daily driver. I work at home so don't really need a DD. I pay for all maintenance on my daughter's Jetta. Very good arrangement, if I do say so myself.

+1. My car is worth so much more than it's dollar value on paper. I have a winter/DD SUV which I can take onto construction sites for work (did that once/never again with an E90 LOL. Not to mention my peers on the Contractors side tend to warm up to sooner when you don't show up in a sports car haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Can we all just agree that everything is conditional? What may be right for you may not be for me. And vice versa.

I put my 135i for sale for three major reasons:
1. The maintenance isn't suitable for my current condition.
2. I'm pursuing a masters degree, and owning/maintaining a car like a 135i doesn't make any financial sense.
3. Knock on wood, I'll be married in the next few years. I don't want a car sitting there tempting me to be sold to pay for other costs.

Either which way, as long as you know what you want out of a car, and you know how to prioritize your own financial situation, who cares?
OP, it's your vehicle/property. Don't feel obligated to justify the sale to anyone but yourself and your fiance. We're just 'addicted' so we have to give you a hard time for leaving

The rest of you arguing over financial advice and nest eggs for job loss, come to Canada! We have health care for all, unemployment insurance which actually pays you, and banks that are dying to give you money. Translation... more car fun

But in all seriousness, I kid. Financial security is very important, the above list has it's flaws, and we're burned just as hard by this economic crash as the States is.

Last edited by 6MT_Addict; 01-01-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #134
zapatista
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
I thought about selling my 2011 128i in order to get one of the first 1000 limited launch edition MX5 when they launched the ND and had a friend of mine who trade cars look for me for selling it. Bottom line every avenues he explored were disappointing as it is simply hard to sell a RWD 128i with a manual transmission here. Demand drives everything and it is so low that most dealers are simply not interested and know it will go to auction. They all offered significantly less than KBB (trade in value), by then it was about 12K (the car was about 5 years). I pampered my car since it was new, I still enjoy to drive it everyday, just the thought of it makes me smile every morning before I hit the road (I also happen to have a nice commute through country roads), so I decided to keep as it is way more to me than just 12k. I will probably buy a ND Miata as a third car in a few years in addition to the 1er. To celebrate that decision, I finally bought the BMW Performance exhaust the car needed so badly
Interesting, I went through the same decision process for my 2011 128i Vert manual here in CO (Denver) with the launch of the Gen6 Camaro. To celebrate keeping the 128i I decided to get what the car needed to badly...a LSD. Though I think the exhaust is next on the list!! Thanks for the post.
      01-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #135
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
The rest of you arguing over financial advice and nest eggs for job loss, come to Canada! We have health care for all, unemployment insurance which actually pays you, and banks that are dying to give you money. Translation... more car fun
Would love to come to Canada! Sounds great and the people seem very friendly.

Just don't think I could get used to the cold winters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #136
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Would love to come to Canada! Sounds great and the people seem very friendly.

Just don't think I could get used to the cold winters.
Haha we say something similar every fall. I would rather have Californian weather by far...

The nice thing about snow though, DSC off and every corner let's you feel like Ken Block

Appreciate 1
Esteban51073.00
      01-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #137
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Haha we say something similar every fall. I would rather have Californian weather by far...

The nice thing about snow though, DSC off and every corner let's you feel like Ken Block
Looks like fun!

Last edited by Esteban; 01-02-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #138
jlc45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

Aah, the fifth grade - 3 of the best years of my life!

Couple other things: It is not a good idea to put money down on a lease. If you have to lease, just pay monthly as you go. If anything happens to the car - stolen or whatever - the downpayment is gone forever and will not be recovered.

Also: thanks for the video. That guy is a good driver. The thing about driving in the winter is knowing what to do when the wheels start slipping or the thing starts going sideways. This is actually very good practice and everyone should do it when there's an opportunity on a clear parking lot e.g.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #139
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc45 View Post
Aah, the fifth grade - 3 of the best years of my life!

Couple other things: It is not a good idea to put money down on a lease. If you have to lease, just pay monthly as you go. If anything happens to the car - stolen or whatever - the downpayment is gone forever and will not be recovered.

Agree. Pay the interest, bank the money, and shift all of the potential loss to the owner of the car.

I had dinner with a successful couple new years eve. We were talking about what car they were going to buy for their kid in a few years. I suggested lease like the couple does. I pointed out the wife's Lexus that just went back. The one that was hit with massive hail, rear ended twice, and sideswiped while parked.

you want that three year old Lexus? I thought so. What could she have sold it for? What did she get? Exactly what the contract said (which was more than you or I would have paid), and all she had to do was drop it off at the dealer for the repairs. She didn't have to check on the quality of the repairs.

Tell me again why leasing is for fools.
      01-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #140
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I grew up driving in the snow. Tahoe winters. Incredibly fun & I believe it made me a better driver without a doubt.

I've never leased a car. :-O
Appreciate 0