BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Headlight Wire Insulation Flaking Off

I have a 2008 135i with Adaptive Xenon headlights. Last week my H8 halo light burned out, I went to replace it and found that the insulation on the wires inside my headlight is brittle and flaking off (see pics). Everything in the headlights appeared to be stock, no aftermarket parts.

One of the worst parts around the base of the H8 bulb, where the wires have a sharp bend.

Cracks on the wires to another bulb.

After some research, this is a common problem for Adaptive Xenon headlights made around 2006-8 in warmer climate areas. Seems to be a result of poorly made insulation and the high temperatures inside the headlight housing. BMW claims no responsibility and will not do anything about it.

Same thing happened to this guy's 530i, this is where I found most of the info:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=798640

So I'm trying to figure out my options and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or other ideas.

1. Remove headlight and try to insulate wires with heat shrink or paint on electrical tape. From what I have seen, it's very difficult to remove the headlight lens making access to all the wires difficult.

2. Buy used headlights. Would cost $400-$800 and could still have old wires and a similar issue with insulation.

3. Get new Euro headlights off ebay for $900. I would swap all the components from my current headlights. I always preferred the look without the amber corner light. They are made by the same company that makes OEM, Valeo. But I did notice they don't have the writing printed around the lens. Does anyone have experience with these? I worry about the cutoff being set up differently.
Euro headlight ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161168704895...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In a 3 series forum, someone said that you could buy headlight housing blanks for $150 and switch over all the components. But I could not find this for 1 series. I also looked on RealOEM to purchase just the wires, but did not see that either.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Anyone with a similar 1 series (2008 adaptive headlights in warm climates), be on the lookout for this.

Last edited by Fakemike; 01-17-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

The very few exposed individual wires (not wrapped in a bundle) I can see under the hood of my car look OK (car was in Georgia before it got to me).

That E60/E61 forum thread from the OP is damn interesting...
      01-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
The very few exposed individual wires (not wrapped in a bundle) I can see under the hood of my car look OK (car was in Georgia before it got to me).

That E60/E61 forum thread from the OP is damn interesting...
This only an issue with the wires inside the sealed headlight housing, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I guess that the heat from the lights deteriorates the wires over time. As far as I know, my car has always been a Florida car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakemike View Post
This only an issue with the wires inside the sealed headlight housing, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I guess that the heat from the lights deteriorates the wires over time. As far as I know, my car has always been a Florida car.
I suppose I should have realized that, especially with the content of that 5-series thread (sorry). One poster in that thread makes the point that BMW wants to lease cars for three years and who (at BMW) gives a crap about things lasting longer than that. That kind of seems to be the case, doesn't it.

Does the internal temp of the lamp assembly really change that much in warmer climates? I'd think those bulbs generate one hell of a lot of heat regardless?

I try to not use my adaptive lights simply because it's another expensive thing to break, I hope that helps.
      01-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
ehummelman
Rep
Drives: 08 135i vert

Guys, it's not the heat, and it's not specific to any one model. I, and countless others, have the same issue on the E53 X5 as well. It is due to the fact that the German government mandates that BMW use biodegradable insulation on the wiring. It is documented on the Xoutpost forum. Unbelievably stupid decision, but the only solution is to strip and rewire the whole assembly, or try to liquid tape each fraying wire. They will touch each other and cause problems. Trust me, I've had numerous bulb warnings and such because of this.
Appreciate 0