BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AW

Good N54 DME Repair Option

So....was having a host of the usual "it's probably plugs/coils/injectors" issues, and it turns out it was a combination of things, several coils went bad, but mainly my Index 9 injectors were slowly dying.

Once I had confirmed the imminent death of the injectors, I thought it good to just do a clean slate, and ordered up from FCPEuro the whole package, new plugs, new coils, and Index 12 injectors. Great prices there too, and, best thing is that they replace, for free, for LIFE, all parts you order there, including wear and tear parts like plugs and coils. Pretty insane benefit, and the only place I've ever heard of, to provide replacement of stuff that wears out from regular use, just because you bought it from them once, but that's what they do.

Came in handy because, just 2 weeks after that full replacement, my car freaked out at WOT and eventually would barely start and run. Managed to limp it to safe spot, then get it towed to my mechanic. I had the dreaded 30BB code among all the misfires, meaning a DME issue.

Thankfully, a bit of research turned up options for DME repair, instead of replacement, but found a lot of mixed reviews for some of the main sites advertising DME repair for the N54.

Found a site without reviews, (n54dmerepair) and contacted Mike there, who replied right away and inspired great confidence to proceed with him. Not only does he diagnose and repair, but upgrades all of the MOSFETS to avoid a repeat of MOSFET failure (the failure of diodes on the DME, the ones that control the injectors). Rush shipped it to him and he fixed it and rush shipped it back and in a matter of days I had it in hand.

Replaced the set of Bank 2 injectors (as directed by BMW regarding DME failure) which cost nothing thanks to FCPEuro's replacement parts guarantee (saved me $400!) and put the repaired DME back in and am now running perfect. Mike's site doesn't have a "reviews" section (he will probably be upgrading his site to remedy that) so I wanted to post up here, since, when I checked the forum, I couldn't find a good lead for DME repair.

MOSFET failure is apparently just another one of those things we live with, but for $249 this was a very painless and phenomenal repair, so I just wanted to share the news, that if you get the dreaded 30BB, Mike is a terrific solution. Knows his stuff, price is right and service is outstanding!

Stay tuned, be tuned. '08 135i N54 6MT, Coral Red Interior, Fire Orange custom grilles and fade-to-black custom BMW Rear Wing, Black Line tail lights, Cobb CP, Forge DV's, aFe DCI's, ETS 5" FMIC, aFe Mach Power exhaust, Cobb catted DP's, M Suspension bits, PTF tune (on Cobb AP), 6000k Xenons, Lux H8 Amber halos, Custom fogs. Conformity is for wimps!
Appreciate 1
TheFox25.00
      12-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
TheFox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3NTAL 135I Auto, On3 ST

Mosfet failure is really only an issue with early model year N54 engines that have MSD80 DMEs the MSD81 DMEs in later MY cars do not seem to have any issues.

Thanks for the review though, something to keep in mind for us MSD80 guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFox View Post
Mosfet failure is really only an issue with early model year N54 engines that have MSD80 DMEs the MSD81 DMEs in later MY cars do not seem to have any issues.

Thanks for the review though, something to keep in mind for us MSD80 guys.
How does one find out which DME they have?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
TheFox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3NTAL 135I Auto, On3 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubiii View Post
How does one find out which DME they have?
I actually don't have a good way to tell I had to check my psychical ECU in order to be 100% sure.

Some people will tell you that the ECU is directly related to the firmware that you have but I have a MSD80 ECU with IJEOS firmware.
Appreciate 0