BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #9835
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I've been lusting after it since I bought the car, but never been able to justify it since it's purely cosmetic (and technically not legal for street use in Australia) - but the niggling desire just won't go away.

Personally, I think the E90 M3 hood is the best hood BMW has ever produced. The fact that it wasn't put on the 1 series M was a crying shame, and the F30 front is boring by comparison.

So, while I fully appreciate it's akin to dropping a big wing on the trunk of a WRX, today I put a deposit down on a BM-Style Seibon CF hood for my 135i.

Now I need to work out how to justify it to my wife (because this mod won't go un-noticed).
Agreed, it's the best looking hood. I've wanted something similar to the M3 bulge. Then again it's looks vs function since it's not needed. Is there an option out there that doesn't have vents? I don't want water & dirt in the engine bay.

You could jump & down on your hood and tell your wife it got vandalized & now you need a new one. Not that I'm condoning or recommending you lie to the department of approval.
Attached Images

Matticus913474.50
BAN_M2C4180.00
      11-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #9836
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Meh. Looks a bit low budget to be honest...
100%. The wheel design is crap to begin with and looks like it belongs on a 3-generations-ago Golf with cut springs, not a BMW. But beyond that it's the chrome that puts it over the top for me. Chrome looks horrendous on almost every modern car. It has its place with classics.

Sorry to be blunt. This is completely my opinion so it really means nothing. But your car as it stands is one of the best looking on the forum. I would not change it - the color is excellent and the wheels fit it quite well.
I don't think they look cheap persay but I understand not liking the style. Those wheels have polished lips, not chrome btw. I love polished/chrome lips for certain wheels. Like.i said I still haven't decided on color of car and wheels yet so not sure there. The only panels that aren't being replaced/modified are the doors and windshield surround sound I'd have to rewrap the whole car anyway basically. I might as well change the color while I'm doing that.

Thanks for the kind words though. Glad to see people like what I've done to the car so far
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #9837
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
I don't think they look cheap persay but I understand not liking the style. Those wheels have polished lips, not chrome btw. I love polished/chrome lips for certain wheels. Like.i said I still haven't decided on color of car and wheels yet so not sure there. The only panels that aren't being replaced/modified are the doors and windshield surround sound I'd have to rewrap the whole car anyway basically. I might as well change the color while I'm doing that.

Thanks for the kind words though. Glad to see people like what I've done to the car so far
I think the polished wheels would look better if you brought back the bright window trim. Polished accent bits look a little silly to me if they're all by themselves, but paired with another "anchor" accent they look a million bucks. And if you're gonna go full black-out, go full black-out...

A less-than-great phone pic, but it carries the point...
Name:  IMG_1695.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  236.8 KB
Esteban43731.50
Gangplank1540.50
      11-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #9838
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:

I think the polished wheels would look better if you brought back the bright window trim. Polished accent bits look a little silly to me if they're all by themselves, but paired with another "anchor" accent they look a million bucks. And if you're gonna go full black-out, go full black-out...

I personally like the shadowline trim with a color like my Lemans Blue, but the bright trim with your dark paint, especially with your color wheels, looks great!
      11-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #9839
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Got a tempting offer to have some 2 piece welded custom rotiforms built for when I go wide body. Thinking that's the route I'm gonna go. Here's the wheels. Not sure on color scheme yet thought.

Also did a shitty shop of them on lunch lol
I don't think I'd have the guts to do it, but that green is something else. (Personally, I think I like the factory paint better than either wrap. But I love green, and it's removable, so why not?)
Can't understand why you'd want to put those hefty 5-spokers on there, though, when you already have the best looking wheels ever to grace a 1er.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #9840
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:

Attachment 1932258
I second this, also you need this to really give it that flare!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-BMW...Wdkf:rk:2:pf:0

You can find the right paint matched version, all for the same price!

I haven't done the airbag recall yet, what's everyone's opinion on getting it done?
I can wait till next spring since my car will be going into hibernation soon. Should I just book an appointment now while the weather is still holding?
      11-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #9841
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 1932258

Yeah definitely wouldn't go full polished, although I didn't hate the look on my Jetta. I'd only do polished lips. The silver trim irks me personally, couldn't go back to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Quote:
Got a tempting offer to have some 2 piece welded custom rotiforms built for when I go wide body. Thinking that's the route I'm gonna go. Here's the wheels. Not sure on color scheme yet thought.

I don't think I'd have the guts to do it, but that green is something else. (Personally, I think I like the factory paint better than either wrap. But I love green, and it's removable, so why not?)
Can't understand why you'd want to put those hefty 5-spokers on there, though, when you already have the best looking wheels ever to grace a 1er.
Trust me, I love paint compared to wrap. If I had my own booth I'd be painting the car instead. Wrap just fits with how frequently I like to change things up.

Those forged two piece are lighter than my cast VMR. Although, the more I look at them the more I wanna do other wheels. Wheels are always the hardest part of my cars for me. Everything else is pretty much done in my head but I have no idea what direction I wanna go in for wheels
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #9842
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I haven't done the airbag recall yet, what's everyone's opinion on getting it done?
I can wait till next spring since my car will be going into hibernation soon. Should I just book an appointment now while the weather is still holding?
Get the airbag recall done. Took less than an hour and I got a new BMW roundel on my steering wheel.

Check with your dealer to see if the parts are in.
      11-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #9843
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Get the airbag recall done. Took less than an hour and I got a new BMW roundel on my steering wheel.

Check with your dealer to see if the parts are in.
Just called to schedule an appointment, looks like it will have to be next year since they won't have an opening until Black Friday.
      11-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #9844
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Is there an option out there that doesn't have vents? I don't want water & dirt in the engine bay.
I'll tell you when I get it in the flash if it would be possible to cover the vents with film on the inside to prevent dust - or Matticus91 could probably comment since he's got one on his ride.

Alternatively, there's an add-on metal power-dome you can buy from some European company (which for the life of me, I can't find a link to) which you could bolt on and paint if you wanted it to look like a really tacky add-on; or get a professional panel-beater to add in to your existing hood for a OEM no-vents look.

... while I was searching for the link to the add-on power dome I found some old M3 threads with people saying 'adding a M3 powerdome to your 1M is like stuffing socks down your pants' ... which gave me a chuckle ...Imagine what they'd think of us doing it on our measly 135i's ... anyway, I thought I'd share.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #9845
Oakland1
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 1932258

Yeah definitely wouldn't go full polished, although I didn't hate the look on my Jetta. I'd only do polished lips. The silver trim irks me personally, couldn't go back to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Quote:

Trust me, I love paint compared to wrap. If I had my own booth I'd be painting the car instead. Wrap just fits with how frequently I like to change things up.

Those forged two piece are lighter than my cast VMR. Although, the more I look at them the more I wanna do other wheels. Wheels are always the hardest part of my cars for me. Everything else is pretty much done in my head but I have no idea what direction I wanna go in for wheels
Are these dents in PE pipe supposed to be there?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #9846
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland1 View Post
Yes. Don't know why.

My original PE has them and my spare has them as well.
      11-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #9847
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Another project kickoff.

11-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #9848
Oakland1
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Don't know why.

Thank you. Yea they look to be made by a factory hydraulic press I just wasn't sure. I thought at first maybe they were to assist with bends but it doesn't appear that way based on where they are.

So, I guess it would appear some engineer determined they were needed, even though they look random.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #9849
Oakland1
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Don't know why.

Thank you. Yea they look to be made by a factory hydraulic press I just wasn't sure. I thought at first maybe they were to assist with bends but it doesn't appear that way based on where they are.

So, I guess it would appear some engineer determined they were needed, even though they look random.
Btw, sorry I quoted a different subject string, didn't mean to do that...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #9850
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Don't know why.

Btw, sorry I quoted a different subject string, didn't mean to do that...
No worries...

Hope you enjoy the PE.
      11-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #9851
axsuu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 120d

Wheel swap:

Name:  IMG_1655 forum.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  261.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1803forum.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  229.9 KB

Appreciate 7
      11-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #9852
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Agreed, it's the best looking hood. I've wanted something similar to the M3 bulge. Then again it's looks vs function since it's not needed. Is there an option out there that doesn't have vents? I don't want water & dirt in the engine bay.

You could jump & down on your hood and tell your wife it got vandalized & now you need a new one. Not that I'm condoning or recommending you lie to the department of approval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I'll tell you when I get it in the flash if it would be possible to cover the vents with film on the inside to prevent dust - or Matticus91 could probably comment since he's got one on his ride.

Alternatively, there's an add-on metal power-dome you can buy from some European company (which for the life of me, I can't find a link to) which you could bolt on and paint if you wanted it to look like a really tacky add-on; or get a professional panel-beater to add in to your existing hood for a OEM no-vents look.

... while I was searching for the link to the add-on power dome I found some old M3 threads with people saying 'adding a M3 powerdome to your 1M is like stuffing socks down your pants' ... which gave me a chuckle ...Imagine what they'd think of us doing it on our measly 135i's ... anyway, I thought I'd share.
I've had this hood for well over a year now and the vents don't make any noticeable difference in dirt on the engine bay. Keep in mind the front kidneys let stuff in too. That said, it comes with "plugs/covers" that screw in from inside that you could leave on if you are worried about stuff getting in there.

I also believe that there's a version of this hood that doesn't have the vents but I don't think it's CF.

Lastly, keep in mind with the CF hoods you NEED to run additional hood latches of some form. Whether that's hood pins, aerocatch latches (like i did) or an internal-only system, you need something. The single center catch on the stock hood is not enough to keep the corners down at speed.
xQx902.50
      11-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #9853
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Always wondered, are the hood openings baffled, or is it a straight shot to the engine bay?
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg

Last edited by 1and1; 11-08-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #9854
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Always wondered, are the hood openings baffled?
Nope just an open section, I've considered doing sort of an internal "scoop" to baffle them myself but haven't felt enough of a need to jump on it yet. The Seibon hood is a true dual-layer cf design so you could easily fab something up and bolt it in without impacting the top, visible layer.
1and11858.00
      11-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #9855
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

New winter tires are pretty much broken in, i must say that the sidewalls are much stiffer than the summer MPS4.

So much so, that i can start "leaning" on them and get 20% or so less body roll than those summer tires. Must be due to their compound and the 17" downsizing. Yes, some steering feel is gone, but overall i am very happy with 17" wheels. So much so, i will surely get some 17x8.5 ET40 for the track (wrapped in semi slicks) and probably get some 17x8 ET45/ET47 with 235s for the summer, also maybe switch from MPS4 to another brand, that sidewall is really soft!

One step at a time, so the 20th of this month is when all the "smaller" suspension bits (m3 arms, sway bars, rsfb) get installed and car aligned, i hope i can get -2.0 camber up front (currently on -1.7 on KW v3 and stock top mounts pins removed), maybe go -1.6 camber in the back (not too much). I will not lower the car, will wait for those 245 semi slicks track tires, then check for fitment and adjust from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #9856
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Lastly, keep in mind with the CF hoods you NEED to run additional hood latches of some form. Whether that's hood pins, aerocatch latches (like i did) or an internal-only system, you need something. The single center catch on the stock hood is not enough to keep the corners down at speed.
what's this internal only system of which you speak?
Appreciate 0