BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
Deddyo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Power distribution box - can I use spare fuse?

I had a recent no start issue that turned out to be a loose/corroded power supply cable connection in the engine bay. In the process of searching for the problem, I directly charged the battery on the trunk compartment- bad idea. After I found and repaired the cable connection in the engine bay, the starter engages and spins the engine, but it won’t start. I get error codes that show short circuit to ground for Vanos and Ignition and injectors. I checked the fuses and relays in the control box in the engine compartment. They all test fine. So I checked the Power Distribution Box in the trunk and found that the 100 amp fuse appears to be blown. I get continuity across all the rest but not that one.

So. There are two unused terminals on that panel in the box. 1 of the unused is 100 amp (the other is an 80). If I do a little carving on the black plastic housing, I could could modify it and plug the 100 amp cable to that unused terminal as a temporary/test fix. Is that a disastrous idea?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

I do not understand what you're doing. Why not just replace the blown fuse?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 04:15 PM   #3
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deddyo View Post
I had a recent no start issue that turned out to be a loose/corroded power supply cable connection in the engine bay. In the process of searching for the problem, I directly charged the battery on the trunk compartment- bad idea. After I found and repaired the cable connection in the engine bay, the starter engages and spins the engine, but it won’t start. I get error codes that show short circuit to ground for Vanos and Ignition and injectors. I checked the fuses and relays in the control box in the engine compartment. They all test fine. So I checked the Power Distribution Box in the trunk and found that the 100 amp fuse appears to be blown. I get continuity across all the rest but not that one.

So. There are two unused terminals on that panel in the box. 1 of the unused is 100 amp (the other is an 80). If I do a little carving on the black plastic housing, I could could modify it and plug the 100 amp cable to that unused terminal as a temporary/test fix. Is that a disastrous idea?
I just had this issue. Got the part used on eBay for like $60. Do it the correct way. These cars, as you just found out, are finicky when it comes to the electronics.
Appreciate 0