BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2024, 03:54 PM   #1
friedymeister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Convertible

Lost glove and metal grasper in engine

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance. I was was replacing the valvetronic servomotor when everything went to hell. I used the finger tips from a glove to cover the fuel rail, one of which fell into the engine. I tried to retrieve it with a grasper and endoscope camera but lost the metal piece on the endoscope. Does anyone know how to access this area or have any suggestions?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

This is between cylinder 5 and 6 towards the fuel rail side of the engine. The camera is directed towards the intake side.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 05:56 PM   #2
Osoleth
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Unfortunately, I do have some experience with those areas. There are long oil drainage channels. Visible as the rectangular channels in the attached image.

Depending on the size of the piece you lost, it could be lodged just as the channel begins next to that bolt, or in the channel itself, or on the other end of the channel. I have retrieved bolts for the eccentric shaft bearings and from the valvetronic motor from these channels a few times using a small endoscope with magnetic attachment. The channels do seem to narrow as they go down, so it's likely that, if the metal piece is not very small, it is suspended in the channel.
Appreciate 1